Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #13,216 of 48,562
Quote:
Well, I'm returning this laptop for yet ANOTHER M17X R4, but this time, directly from Amazon, and this time, with an Nvidia card, not AMD. I just have to wait for the refund to show up... probably next week.

I don't how see returning it for a third computer will fix anything.  I don't think it's a hardware issue, and I don't think you got two duds in a row.  The HDMI port is clearly accepting inputs, but just isn't displaying it properly.  It's probably a driver/graphics card setting issue. 

Yes, maybe the Nvidia card will be different, but I would fiddle with the AMD to try and get it working - I wouldn't be surprised if the the Nvidia needs tweaking as well before it displays correctly.

Personally I would ditch the Alienware and look for another solution.  Alienware = bad value and overpriced.

You're throwing a lot of money at something that could (IMO) be solved cheaper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqliE2yai2c
http://www.destructoid.com/review-on-lap-2501m-portable-lcd-gaming-monitor-252187.phtml

That thing has at least got actual OSD display controls, accepts more inputs, is a smaller profile (folds up), can run off internal battery (longer than a laptop), less heat, etc.  And it's certainly portable.

But hey, its you're money...
normal_smile .gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #13,218 of 48,562
Some Fidelio X1s sold for ~$260 shipped on eBay the other day. 

:\

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #13,219 of 48,562
Quote:
Plug directly into the sound card and use DH-1. DH-2 and 3 try to artificially boost the soundstage reducing sound quality. DH-1 sounds closest to stereo while still giving you proper surround sound.

Well, even with DH-1 setup with the PC360s and my Xonar DX, I still feel the decrease in sound quality... that feeling that all the sounds feel like the inside of a tin can... Very annoying... Somehow, when I was using the A50s outputting sound from the optical cable to the TX amp and selecting dolby digital live on the xonar DX, the surround sound was still being emulated, but didn't feel as bad... but I think that is because the A50s have lots of bass and not that much clarity...

I'm guessing the PC360s are so good that I can hear all the shortcomings of the emulation quite fast. BUT: When I don't enable Dolby Headphone technology (which means I have stereo sound only with no surround sound at all, because its not being emulated) the sound is crystal clear, almost perfect... I could see why audiophiles are in love with the pc360 for all the stereo stuff... But in MAD'S review, he seems to have enjoyed the surround sound experience quite a lot with them PC360s, I have yet to find a way to make them sound "good" when using the Dolby Headphone technology...

I might find a way to remove the Tin can Effect by fooling around with the EQ settings on the Xonar DX panel, or maybe by upgrading to a soundcard that does surround sound emulation better (if there is any) or maybe even use an external amp that does emulating better...

I'm curious to know what Mad used for PC360s hooked up to a PC. I wonder whether he used a good soundcard, onboard audio or only used the PC360s on consoles...

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #13,221 of 48,562
Quote:
Well, even with DH-1 setup with the PC360s and my Xonar DX, I still feel the decrease in sound quality... that feeling that all the sounds feel like the inside of a tin can... Very annoying... Somehow, when I was using the A50s outputting sound from the optical cable to the TX amp and selecting dolby digital live on the xonar DX, the surround sound was still being emulated, but didn't feel as bad... but I think that is because the A50s have lots of bass and not that much clarity...

I'm guessing the PC360s are so good that I can hear all the shortcomings of the emulation quite fast. BUT: When I don't enable Dolby Headphone technology (which means I have stereo sound only with no surround sound at all, because its not being emulated) the sound is crystal clear, almost perfect... I could see why audiophiles are in love with the pc360 for all the stereo stuff... But in MAD'S review, he seems to have enjoyed the surround sound experience quite a lot with them PC360s, I have yet to find a way to make them sound "good" when using the Dolby Headphone technology...

I might find a way to remove the Tin can Effect by fooling around with the EQ settings on the Xonar DX panel, or maybe by upgrading to a soundcard that does surround sound emulation better (if there is any) or maybe even use an external amp that does emulating better...

I'm curious to know what Mad used for PC360s hooked up to a PC. I wonder whether he used a good soundcard, onboard audio or only used the PC360s on consoles...

Quote:
Umm, I dont play on PC, ever.

So... what did u use with the PC360? an Astro Amp ?

I'm not sure yet... but I have a feeling maybe my Xonar DX's Dolby Headphone techology is just "weak"... I'm thinking maybe I ought to get a better soundcard... and I might finally enjoy some decent virtual surround sound into my PC360s...

I'm tryin to make a smart move: I might get myself a soundcard that is so good, I can use it to emulate surround sound for consoles as well... I've seen some soundcards that have so many inputs and outputs... maybe I can find a sorta "univseral" soundcard...

Man this stuff is hardcore learning (definitly not something for your average joe)

EDIT: I have yet to try the XONAR UNIFIED drivers and see if they make the sound quality better when using virtual surround sound on the pc360s

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #13,223 of 48,562
I have the X41 Transmitter Box. I've got a headset that is connected. There is a tiny bit of hiss, (That's with FULL volume, both 100% transmitter and Sound Properties) but I can't hear it that much. it might even be background noise somewhere not sure.

I must say with these $20 headphones it sound great, apart from the fact that these can't handle much. It would be good if I had a decent pair of headphones to test with it.

When I get my headphones ( Still deciding ), Im going to see what is better to use between the X41 transmitter or the Astro Mixamp Pro 5.8 2013.

I'm probally just going to get the PC360's because of price difference. And maybe later when I want to upgrade then i'll go for something abit more better

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #13,224 of 48,562
Quote:
I have the X41 Transmitter Box. I've got a headset that is connected. There is a tiny bit of hiss, (That's with FULL volume, both 100% transmitter and Sound Properties) but I can't hear it that much. it might even be background noise somewhere not sure.

I must say with these $20 headphones it sound great, apart from the fact that these can't handle much. It would be good if I had a decent pair of headphones to test with it.

When I get my headphones ( Still deciding ), Im going to see what is better to use between the X41 transmitter or the Astro Mixamp Pro 5.8 2013.

I'm probally just going to get the PC360's because of price difference. And maybe later when I want to upgrade then i'll go for something abit more better

I tried my K702 Annies with the Turtle Beach PX5 transmitter (most likely the same as the X41 transmitter) and it wasn't that great. Everything sounded really dark and you are of course limited to using the volume control on the transmitter and can't use a mic unless you rig something up to your controller.

Astro Mixamp 2013 blew away the transmitter when it comes to features and sound quality.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #13,226 of 48,562
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. Good to see the thread is growing and expanding and adding new gear MLE. Anyhow guys I'm looking to sell my PC360's and Turtle Beach DSS2 w/syba for chat on PS3 as a package for $250.00 if anyone is interested please feel free to let me know. BTW those Fidelio X1 look pretty nice, looking forward to your review on them MLE.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #13,227 of 48,562
I'm tryin to make a smart move: I might get myself a soundcard that is so good, I can use it to emulate surround sound for consoles as well... I've seen some soundcards that have so many inputs and outputs... maybe I can find a sorta "univseral" soundcard...

A universal soundcard would be nice... Most soundcards don't accept DDL or DTS encoded Optical Input (only PCM, so only stereo). It's some sort of licensing issue, I don't know a workaround but with a lot of research you might find one. That said... The only one I know of, works processing surround with PC (Mac or Windows via USB) and consoles (via Optical-In) is Creative's Sound Blaster Recon3D USB. That's the USB external sound card. So far it was my favorite headphone surround, works and sound better to my ears than DH. You can save settings tweaks and such to the device, so that it uses those settings with a console too.

You could also do it the other way around, kinda like the way you do now. You could pipe DDL 5.1 surround out from your PC's Optical Out to pretty much any surround processor meant for consoles (I had my DSS hooked up to my frankenmac for a while), but of course any of those that use DH ought to have the same sound character as your soundcard.

Also, I don't think a different set of drivers will change how surround is processed... D H does the heavy lifting in your card

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #13,228 of 48,562
Quote:
A universal soundcard would be nice... Most soundcards don't accept DDL or DTS encoded Optical Input (only PCM, so only stereo). It's some sort of licensing issue, I don't know a workaround but with a lot of research you might find one. That said... The only one I know of, works processing surround with PC (Mac or Windows via USB) and consoles (via Optical-In) is Creative's Sound Blaster Recon3D USB. That's the USB external sound card. So far it was my favorite headphone surround, works and sound better to my ears than DH. You can save settings tweaks and such to the device, so that it uses those settings with a console too.

You could also do it the other way around, kinda like the way you do now. You could pipe DDL 5.1 surround out from your PC's Optical Out to pretty much any surround processor meant for consoles (I had my DSS hooked up to my frankenmac for a while), but of course any of those that use DH ought to have the same sound character as your soundcard.

Also, I don't think a different set of drivers will change how surround is processed... D H does the heavy lifting in your card

Well. I did find a few soundcards that are pretty universal... The new drivers did help a little in the end. The ones I'm using right now allow for much lower DPC latency which results in a slightly better emulation but the big difference for me came from toying with the Flexible Bass frequency setting in the driver's panel...

Surprisingly, setting the bass to "full range" and setting it at about 160hz fixed it for me... Like I mentionned earlier, the Dolby Headphone technology seems to hinder sound mostly when there is too much treble and not enough bass. That is why I couldn't hear the loss in sound quality that much with the A50s, because they're quite boomy and have more bass than treble...

With this realisation, I went ahead and added more base using the Flexible Bass frequency feature and whenever I activate DH-1 and compare it to DH-1 OFF, there isn't much difference anymore --- SUCCESS !!!

Finally I have a decent sounding DH surround sound and although there is still a noticeable difference, it isn't as irritating as it was before.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #13,229 of 48,562
Well great, sounds like a solution! Good job on troubleshooting!
I got the impression before that you were experiencing a hollow, obscured sound with bass but an obscured top end (like someone talking through a bullhorn or cupping their hands around their mouth), but I can see it this way now.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #13,230 of 48,562
Tomorrow is the day I get to demo the Koss ESP 950. Im sooooooo excited. It's supposedly a warmer electrostatic, so I have a feeling its gonna come toe to toe with the LCD2 on many things... I can't wait!

Btw guys. If you plan on gtting the HE400, Headamp is donating 10% of all sales to charity for the next few days.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660276/headamp-orders-10-donated-to-help-boston-marathon-victims-until-end-of-april

Users who are viewing this thread

Back