Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #9,466 of 48,566
Quote:
Just realised that after all this time that I've had my M-Stage, I just never considered connecting it to my Astro Mixamp PRO for my PS3 (via optical). Now i'm thinking how do i go round doing this?
-Cant think at the moment-..

Try it.  I was surprised to find that it actually boosts the soundstage a bit. 
basshead.gif

The way I have it hooked up is: I have a dual RCA to 3.5mm cord going from the M-stage to the mixamp's Y-splitter.  I have the Y-splitter then go into the mixamps HP jack.  I had to do it like this because I have the FAT monoprice premium cable that doesn't fit in the mixamp 5.8's 3.5mm jack.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #9,467 of 48,566
Quote:
I didn't really beat you lol. I was just putting small hints and queue's on getting a ......another headphone basically

Ok sure, what you don't tell them about is the big stick you threatened me with lol. But nah, Bowei's suggestions are always good... except his Pro900 one <3 I'm with Mad on the "don't want to mess with S-Logic placement" 
Quote:
You want an amp for what purpose? To increase the volume outputed by your hard to drive headphones?

Well with the idea of JDS and Fiio In mind. Fiio E11 E6, and JDS cMoy BB are good bass boosting amps. The E11 and cMoy BB [2x 9v] have lot's of juice for driving hard to drive cans. In addition the E12 and E07K [Their newest one] and Jds C421 Ap8620 should be pretty transparent amps, the E12 is lacking a little power and I'm not sure about the c421... there's also Fred_fred_2004's 3 Channels Headphone Amp. In the Sub $100 amp this one was top dog. I hear good things about Fred_fred_2004's amps to so. THere are a few to try, but we do need more details! 

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #9,469 of 48,566
Quote:
I need the amp to increase the volume that outputed from my phone and make it more clear i foud the O2 , E7 , E10 and E11

The O2 isn't really portable lol, it is transportable but xD it's pretty big.

An for volume out of your phone, an E6 might be all you need... but that depends on what Cans your using with your phone, and ofc your phone. Some phones sound pretty terrible others better. But The E7 and E10 are DAC I think and you  not really able to use those with Phones I belive, as they need a USB [full size] out. Try the E11 though, at $50 it's cheap and powerfull. But I find the bass too aggressive for more tonaly balanced cans my self! 

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #9,470 of 48,566
Try it.  I was surprised to find that it actually boosts the soundstage a bit.  :basshead:

The way I have it hooked up is: I have a dual RCA to 3.5mm cord going from the M-stage to the mixamp's Y-splitter.  I have the Y-splitter then go into the mixamps HP jack.  I had to do it like this because I have the FAT monoprice premium cable that doesn't fit in the mixamp 5.8's 3.5mm jack.

I dunno what Monoprice was thinking with this obnoxiously thick 3.5mm cables. It's unnecessary and finicky, in that it just doesn't fit a lot of inputs. They need a straight cable version of this... with some strain relief:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021818&p_id=9564&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

You and me both. I put it in the 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide in the gaming section.

I use it a lot, admittedly more for telephony than gaming (just because my time for gaming is so limited, and I'm generally on the phone for much of the day).

The SLYR is outstanding for the price.

This is what I said about the SLYR in the guide:

Thanks Jude, for backing up my claims on the SLYR. Good to know that Skullcandy has made a believer out of more than myself, hahaha. I do agree completely with what you said in your review. I did find some upper mid shenanigans, but it's relatively stable for the most part. I find the mids to be quite good for this type of headphone at this price bracket, and I can see myself using these a lot for TV shows and the like. The mids are well in line with everything, though a little squeezed in by the soundstage.

They just have a very agreeable sound signature to my ears. I haven't been able to test the mic much (admittedly, I almost never use microphones, so as long as my voice comes through clearly, I have no complaints), though my only gripe so far with it, is that it seems a bit too sensitive. I did attach the Dealextreme clip-on mic's wind screen on it, so I'll see if it lessens the sensitivity just enough.

I spent my headphone time with the A50s today, but I really want to go back and mess with the SLYR some more.

And x2 on not using the Mixer. I find it to sound just fine with a 3.5mm cable, that it doesn't really need tweaks to it's sound. I'll still have to find a way to use it just to test the EQ and voice/game balance, but with the Mixamp in my hands, I have no need for the Mixer. I'm seriously impressed with the SLYR, and underwhelmed with the Astro A50's SQ, though it is good. I feel that so far, the A50 compares with stuff like the AX720, which is less than half the price. You can look at it as sounding like a wired headset with the convenience of being wireless, or you can look at it as the performance not quite matching it's price, but paying the premium for the convenience.

How did you update it?  USB?

I wonder if the mixamp 5.8 Tx unit can be updated.  When the mixamp 5.8 came out, Astro said they were going to release more accessories/upgrades for it's USB jacks, but they never got around to doing that.

Yeah, I google Astro A50 update, and Astro had a page where I could download the updates to my PC. Hooked up the TX and A50s, and the update was quick and painless. Didn't see anything for the 5.8... I'll check tomorrow.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #9,471 of 48,566
Quote:
I dunno what Monoprice was thinking with this obnoxiously thick 3.5mm cables. It's unnecessary and finicky, in that it just doesn't fit a lot of inputs. They need a straight cable version of this... with some strain relief:

They just have a very agreeable sound signature to my ears. I haven't been able to test the mic much (admittedly, I almost never use microphones, so as long as my voice comes through clearly, I have no complaints), though my only gripe so far with it, is that it seems a bit too sensitive. I did attach the Dealextreme clip-on mic's wind screen on it, so I'll see if it lessens the sensitivity just enough.
here I could download the updates to my PC. Hooked up the TX and A50s, and the update was quick and painless.

I have an $8 MediaBridge male to male, that well looks just like the MonoPrice one. I have no issues with the 3.5mm and I happen to like the coiled cables my self!

Also, the SLYR does look nice :D. For a Gaming head set it might be well worth it ^^. I currently have a crap tastic mike and I'd love a good pair of cans with a nice mike [too sensitive isn't a big deal for me since the mikes I get are always not sensitive enough and too dang quiet]

Still I'm hearing more an more good things about Skull Candy. It's funny at one point, I wanted a pair cuz I heard they where "good headphones" and now... I got $250 byers xD [and I though $50 Skull Candy's where WHOA ALOT" lol

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #9,472 of 48,566
No one? No advice for a Mic (Antlion Modmic) adapter to use on the PS3?

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #9,473 of 48,566
Quote:
Ok sure, what you don't tell them about is the big stick you threatened me with lol. But nah, Bowei's suggestions are always good... except his Pro900 one <3 I'm with Mad on the "don't want to mess with S-Logic placement" 
Well with the idea of JDS and Fiio In mind. Fiio E11 E6, and JDS cMoy BB are good bass boosting amps. The E11 and cMoy BB [2x 9v] have lot's of juice for driving hard to drive cans. In addition the E12 and E07K [Their newest one] and Jds C421 Ap8620 should be pretty transparent amps, the E12 is lacking a little power and I'm not sure about the c421... there's also Fred_fred_2004's 3 Channels Headphone Amp. In the Sub $100 amp this one was top dog. I hear good things about Fred_fred_2004's amps to so. THere are a few to try, but we do need more details! 

That's because I never recommended the Pro 900. People keep asking me to recommend stuff I don't want to recommend because I haven't heard it. And then 2 pm's later they ask me if it's good again. I don't want to say go get it and be done with that pm as I haven't heard it.

S-Logic isn't hard to place. Just that a weird placement might give you a weird effect.

The E12 is actually the "newest" device that works right now. The E07K is the newest one to be released. 

The AD8692 is in the E07K and E17. And I used to have an O2 with the OPA2228 (that is an option for the C421)

Lacking a bit of power for what? According to the specs and what FiiO said, it should drive summit fi cans such as HD800 with its 500mW+ Output at 32 Ohms loaded.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #9,474 of 48,566
Quote:
That's because I never recommended the Pro 900. People keep asking me to recommend stuff I don't want to recommend because I haven't heard it. And then 2 pm's later they ask me if it's good again. I don't want to say go get it and be done with that pm as I haven't heard it.

S-Logic isn't hard to place. Just that a weird placement might give you a weird effect.

The E12 is actually the "newest" device that works right now. The E07K is the newest one to be released. 

The AD8692 is in the E07K and E17. And I used to have an O2 with the OPA2228 (that is an option for the C421)

Lacking a bit of power for what? According to the specs and what FiiO said, it should drive summit fi cans such as HD800 with its 500mW+ Output at 32 Ohms loaded.

Sorry your right, I was getting the E12 and E17 confused, I've not heard anything about the E12. And I;ve only heard that the E17 lacks power. Thanks

Good to hear there is an OPA2228 in the C421, I though it was the OPA2227 [same one in my cMoy BB] and ofc seeing that it's in the O2 is always nice. Although I hear the AD8620 is more transparent... how does the E17 support that claim [although AD8692... must b different]

Still can't go wrong with an E12 or a Jds C421! [I'd love to try the E12 my self. How does it compare to the E11] 

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #9,475 of 48,566
Quote:
Sorry your right, I was getting the E12 and E17 confused, I've not heard anything about the E12. And I;ve only heard that the E17 lacks power. Thanks

Good to hear there is an OPA2228 in the C421, I though it was the OPA2227 [same one in my cMoy BB] and ofc seeing that it's in the O2 is always nice. Although I hear the AD8620 is more transparent... how does the E17 support that claim [although AD8692... must b different]

Still can't go wrong with an E12 or a Jds C421! [I'd love to try the E12 my self. How does it compare to the E11] 

IT depends on what the E17 is being used to drive. Some $300+ headphones can be driven with them. But for me, I would want a bit more power

Oh wait, it is the OPA2227, nevermind. 

No idea.

I'll tell you when I get an E12.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #9,476 of 48,566
The E17 will have more power than the E07k, as is still their best dac/amp. Fiio has stated this themselves. The E07k is an improved E7, and should be priced betwee the E7 and E17.

The E17 has good power for a portable, but I would suggest a stronger amp for 250+ohm headphones.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #9,477 of 48,566
Quote:
The E17 will have more power than the E07k, as is still their best dac/amp. Fiio has stated this themselves. The E07k is an improved E7, and should be priced betwee the E7 and E17.
The E17 has good power for a portable, but I would suggest a stronger amp for 250+ohm headphones.

I know, and that's a shame because I love using 250ohm cans... as portables. My Dt 880 and [soon to arrive] Dt 990 are both 250 ohms and it's a shame the E17 and the E07k both are not quiete strong enough to drive them :/

Still let us know on the E12, sadly too I HATE the E11 with the Dt 880... the bass is too agressive and it takes away from the Lush Mids from the NOS DAC TDA1543 in the HM601, again for my the cMoy is a great pairing. The OPA2227 is  nice and warm, making those mids all the more magical [since the 880 could use a little extra mid magic] and keeping a nice tight bass and smooth highs. Still I'm getting a tube Hybrid... and I hope it makes the Dt 880 even better!

The Fiio amps are nice with Darker Cans! I love the E11 on my XB700s 

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #9,478 of 48,566
Quote:
I know, and that's a shame because I love using 250ohm cans... as portables. My Dt 880 and [soon to arrive] Dt 990 are both 250 ohms and it's a shame the E17 and the E07k both are not quiete strong enough to drive them :/

Still let us know on the E12, sadly too I HATE the E11 with the Dt 880... the bass is too agressive and it takes away from the Lush Mids from the NOS DAC TDA1543 in the HM601, again for my the cMoy is a great pairing. The OPA2227 is  nice and warm, making those mids all the more magical [since the 880 could use a little extra mid magic] and keeping a nice tight bass and smooth highs. Still I'm getting a tube Hybrid... and I hope it makes the Dt 880 even better!

The Fiio amps are nice with Darker Cans! I love the E11 on my XB700s 

I don't have XB700's, I only used to have XB500's momentarily 

Quote:

And........

BAM!!

Here comes FiiO's new E12.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #9,479 of 48,566
I doubt I will get my hands on the E12, as im quite happy with the E17. I mainly have it for easier to drive headphones. The SA31 is huge and stationary, and I don't always wanna reach for the controls, so I happily just use a long usb cable for the E17 and keep next to me when watching tv shows, and overall general laziness.

I dont ever like carrying anything on the go, so a portable dac/amp is basically just transportable for me. Something I'd use for a laptop, and not for a pocket device.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #9,480 of 48,566
Quote:
I doubt I will get my hands on the E12, as im quite happy with the E17. I mainly have it for easier to drive headphones. The SA31 is huge and stationary, and I don't always wanna reach for the controls, so I happily just use a long usb cable for the E17 and keep next to me when watching tv shows, and overall general laziness.
I dont ever like carrying anything on the go, so a portable dac/amp is basically just transportable for me. Something I'd use for a laptop, and not for a pocket device.

You could also use an Extra Long headphone cord... I have a 15foot 3.5mm extension my self and it's pretty nifty... since NOTHING is more tahn 12 feet from my pc in my room <3 

and yes xD love that E12 picture series u have for us, but again. If the E12 sounds like the E11... I'm not to interested 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back