Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #901 of 48,578

Quote:
About using Silent Cinema with headphones, it's alright I guess. I used it for a few months and did okay with Ultrasone HFi-2200's. I've also tried Sony's VST which wasn't bad either. I picked up a Harman Kardon receiver with DH and dang.... it kinda blew me away. Soundstage just opened up even more. If I had to rate it, it'd be DH > SC > VST.

I still need to try the AD700 vs HFi2200 to see if I'm missing out on anything.

I will second Silent Cinema not working well. I used to use it all the time. The sad thing was I never even realized it was supposed to be emulating surround sound. I feel like that says it all. I was mostly using a poor set of cans at the time, but even so. The Dolby Surround works infinitely better. My Victor SU-DH1 has been working like a champ. I will likely be selling it next month, but not do to any flaws in its performance. I have not tried the Mixamp or DSS, but I assume both work equally well for gaming.

Edit: I am also very interested in trying the AD700's. I think I have convinced a friend to buy a pair. Another one of my friends already owes some DT770pro. I am looking forward to getting them all in one place. Too bad I sold my DT880/600, I hear those are also good for gaming (I sold it before I bought the DH).

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #902 of 48,578
Were you guys using Silent Cinema for games or movies? I've heard that it is amazing for movies, but not so much with games. I haven't heard SC personally though.

-Daniel

Quote:

I will second Silent Cinema not working well. I used to use it all the time. The sad thing was I never even realized it was supposed to be emulating surround sound. I feel like that says it all. I was mostly using a poor set of cans at the time, but even so. The Dolby Surround works infinitely better. My Victor SU-DH1 has been working like a champ. I will likely be selling it next month, but not do to any flaws in its performance. I have not tried the Mixamp or DSS, but I assume both work equally well for gaming.

Edit: I am also very interested in trying the AD700's. I think I have convinced a friend to buy a pair. Another one of my friends already owes some DT770pro. I am looking forward to getting them all in one place. Too bad I sold my DT880/600, I hear those are also good for gaming (I sold it before I bought the DH).

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #903 of 48,578
Just watched Tangled with the Mixamp 5.8 and my D7000. I felt like I was at the movies. Simply sublime. No extra amping needed.

One thing I will still bring up, movies don't give me any real positioning cue like games. It sounds immersive. Not that I cared. I was in aural heaven. Still better than plain stereo.

Also, just ordered the Hifiman HE-4. Will be trying them for gaming just cuz I'm curious, though I'll have to move my Lyr to the living room just to help the Mixamp power them, lol.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #905 of 48,578
Since I'm your best friend and all... If you don't like the HE-4 can I has them pleaseeeeeeee......

Quote:
Just watched Tangled with the Mixamp 5.8 and my D7000. I felt like I was at the movies. Simply sublime. No extra amping needed.

One thing I will still bring up, movies don't give me any real positioning cue like games. It sounds immersive. Not that I cared. I was in aural heaven. Still better than plain stereo.

Also, just ordered the Hifiman HE-4. Will be trying them for gaming just cuz I'm curious, though I'll have to move my Lyr to the living room just to help the Mixamp power them, lol.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #906 of 48,578
I just realized why I haven't been able to get good positional cue from movies. I assumed that Blu-Rays on the PS3 would be down converted to Dolby Digital to play through toslink cables. It sounds like I was wrong. I'm currently watching a movie with Dolby Digital (regular DVD), and I'm getting a more immersive sound (though not as clear).

So many Blurays use DTS-HD which doesn't down convert to DD. Perhaps just linear PCM which is why I'm not getting the enveloping DD sound.

Ah well, after all is said and done, DH does work for movies, better than I previously thought.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #907 of 48,578
Deepest apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread (it's 61 pages! I can't read all that in one night!), but have you tried the Mixamp with the JVC HA-RX900s (or 700s)?
People say that those are good for gaming, and cost only around $60 ($30 or the 700). 
I'm asking because I own a HA-RX900 and I'm considering some sort of virtual surround thingamawhatsit, be it the Mixamp or something similar.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #908 of 48,578

Quote:
Deepest apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread (it's 61 pages! I can't read all that in one night!), but have you tried the Mixamp with the JVC HA-RX900s (or 700s)?
People say that those are good for gaming, and cost only around $60 ($30 or the 700). 
I'm asking because I own a HA-RX900 and I'm considering some sort of virtual surround thingamawhatsit, be it the Mixamp or something similar.

I used to have the RX900's and I tried using them with the mixamp.  This was a long time ago, so my memory is very foggy, but I remember them not being ok but no great.  Not as good as some other combos I've tried.  Some people seem to enjoy them though.  

If you already have a pair, it wouldn't hurt to try them out.  You could listen to some "dolby headphone" samples on youtube or binaural clips and see how they do. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #909 of 48,578
Now using the W5000, I can say they are one of the best closed back headphone for gaming. The positioning is supreme and very precise all round, not just the sides. Granted, it is not as fun as some more bassy phone but are pretty good for spotting footsteps through walls.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #910 of 48,578
Well I guess it would depend on what you're looking for. If you're mainly into movie watching and need a receiver, get that. Keep in mind a lot of Harmon Kardan receivers use DH, so that could be a great option/value for both games and movies. If this is strictly for games, get the cheap DSS and call it a day-it will work better than SH and save you $$ if you don't need a receiver. Plus, the DH still works great for movies, and is probably only marginally inferior the SH, if at all based on my reading.

-Daniel

Quote:
Darn it , now i don't know what to do,  get the receiver or get mixamp or dss   lol

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #911 of 48,578
Hey Shin
cool.gif
:

Of course DTS-HD/MA won't convert to DD-they are different competing formats! DTS-HD will almost ALWAYS downconvert to regular DTS 5.1/6.1, even on the PS3. So you would be out of luck with the DH devices as far as getting a 5.1 signal from DTS-HD. Maybe you should look into the SUDH-1 which will do DTS as well as DD.

-Daniel

PS: Someday I'll learn how to multi-quote. Not today.

Quote:
I just realized why I haven't been able to get good positional cue from movies. I assumed that Blu-Rays on the PS3 would be down converted to Dolby Digital to play through toslink cables. It sounds like I was wrong. I'm currently watching a movie with Dolby Digital (regular DVD), and I'm getting a more immersive sound (though not as clear).

So many Blurays use DTS-HD which doesn't down convert to DD. Perhaps just linear PCM which is why I'm not getting the enveloping DD sound.

Ah well, after all is said and done, DH does work for movies, better than I previously thought.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #912 of 48,578

Quote:
Hey Shin
cool.gif
:

Of course DTS-HD/MA won't convert to DD-they are different competing formats! DTS-HD will almost ALWAYS downconvert to regular DTS 5.1/6.1, even on the PS3. So you would be out of luck with the DH devices as far as getting a 5.1 signal from DTS-HD. Maybe you should look into the SUDH-1 which will do DTS as well as DD.

-Daniel

PS: Someday I'll learn how to multi-quote. Not today.

Lol, I knew that. What I meant is that I thought ALL movies had an internal DD codec for some reason. Like a hidden one. Ah well... Stupid people and not having some form of default standard that isn't stereo. :p

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #914 of 48,578
Well I'm sure 99% of dvds have a DD codec, at least the Hollywood ones. Foreign films are very hit and miss in a lot of area however (audio, subtitles, letterboxing etc). I honestly haven't bothered to look at my blu-ray/hddvd audio codecs too hard because I am without surround sound for the first time in my life, unless you count my little DSS which I only use for games. I'm currently saving for a Yamaha YSP 5100 for movies...once my dream 2.1 Magnepan setup is complete in the not so immediate future lol.

-Daniel

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #915 of 48,578
Tbh, after experimenting, I feel the DT880's are so good imaging wise that it makes Dolby Headphone redundant for gaming. That and a lot of games these days have their own surround sound DSP coding in their game. I prefer the DT880 without Dolby headphone. I play much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back