Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #6,466 of 48,566
Is there a better portable amp than the e11 thats around or under $100?? 

Uh, well Mad's E9 is better as an amp than the E11, and selling for a fantastic price at the moment, though it's more transportable than portable. The Little Dot i+ hybrid amp is also quite renowned for $120 new, and the Objective 2 amp which you can build yourself from JDS Labs for around $100 or pre-assembled for $144 plus shipping. FiiO also has the portable amp/DAC E17 that is good on it's own but it can be docked with the E9 for a desktop amp/DAC solution. The E17 is $140 on amazon.

That's my shortlist, they're mostly small desktop amps and not something that can sit next to an iPod in your pocket (except the E17), others probably have other suggestions. Not sure how many portable headphones require an amp better than the E11.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #6,467 of 48,566
Quote:
Uh, well Mad's E9 is better as an amp than the E11, and selling for a fantastic price at the moment, though it's more transportable than portable. The Little Dot i+ hybrid amp is also quite renowned for $120 new, and the Objective 2 amp which you can build yourself from JDS Labs for around $100 or pre-assembled for $144 plus shipping. FiiO also has the portable amp/DAC E17 that is good on it's own but it can be docked with the E9 for a desktop amp/DAC solution. The E17 is $140 on amazon.
That's my shortlist, they're mostly small desktop amps and not something that can sit next to an iPod in your pocket (except the E17), others probably have other suggestions. Not sure how many portable headphones require an amp better than the E11.

Well I'm going to be powering the Dt990/250 so I need something strong to power them right. The E11 will handle up to 300 ohm but I dont want to max the little guy out or make it strain just to power the headphones. I guess I'll just wait and see if it can handle it but I'll also check out the little dot i+ and I'm pretty familiar with the fiio line and the e17 & e7 and I really like what I see and hear about the e7 and how it can sync with the e9 but I dont think I'm ready for that yet. Once I get my man cave set up I'll get something along that line for now I just need a good portable that can take care of business you know...

Thanks,

D

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #6,468 of 48,566
^ IIRC the 880 and 990 use the same drivers (they're just put in different housings, so it alters the sound). So my experience with the 880/250 should be relevant here:

MixAmp + 880 for single-player is fine. This is because the mix knob is dialled completely to "game"; the only issues I have are channel balance, which may be unique to my case, since I bought the MixAmp secondhand.

For multiplayer (or to sort out channel imbalance at particular volume settings), I daisy chain the MixAmp to a portable amp. Mine is the Pico, which is well-regarded, but it's also not known to be particularly powerful--in other words, if this has enough power for my 880, your E11 (which  I often hear is a powerful portable amp) should have enough power for your 990.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #6,469 of 48,566
Are you sure, Eric? I could've sworn the drivers on the 990s were different from the 880s.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #6,471 of 48,566
Quote:
No, because the speaker holes are off center on Ultrasones. They are VERY finicky with placement. Wearin g them backwards puts the speaker holes on the opposite of your ears, so everything sounds WAY off. The treble disappears, and it because a boomy mess.

My understanding of S-logic is that they're not angled, just off center, so you should be able to get them into the proper orientation by rotating the entire headphone forwards or backwards, about the axis passing through both ear cups, so to speak.  

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #6,472 of 48,566
All I know is that the driver when worn correctly is on the front side of the cups. Wearing them backwards puts the drivers almost behind your ear lobes, which is why I'm guessing it's a muddy, boomy mess. I absolutely love how easy the pads are to attach/detach on the Ultrasones.

About to go rent Uncharted 3 off Redbox. Feel like doing a second run through of it.

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #6,474 of 48,566
Well I'm going to be powering the Dt990/250 so I need something strong to power them right. The E11 will handle up to 300 ohm but I dont want to max the little guy out or make it strain just to power the headphones. I guess I'll just wait and see if it can handle it but I'll also check out the little dot i+ and I'm pretty familiar with the fiio line and the e17 & e7 and I really like what I see and hear about the e7 and how it can sync with the e9 but I dont think I'm ready for that yet. Once I get my man cave set up I'll get something along that line for now I just need a good portable that can take care of business you know...

Thanks,

D

Looked up the E11 vs E17, @ 300 ohms the E11 outputs 35mW, actually suppling 5 mW more maximum output than the E17. You might want to wait till you can test your existing amp with the new headphone before buying a new amp. Btw the E9 has 1W @ 16 ohm to 80 mW @ 600 ohm, indeed gobs of power. Both the E17 and E7 can "sync" with the E9, it even looks like FiiO is replacing the current E9 with a model that docks the E17 natively into its upper slot connection without any adapters.

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #6,476 of 48,566
Quote:
Has anyone tried the AKG K550 with Dolby Headphone (and perhaps without?) I'd really like to hear/read/see how they perform.

A ask Mad Lust Envy wheter he ever thinks about test them. I'm very interested how will it works with DH but unfortunately when I search answers in internet about AKG K550 gaming impressions I found nothing. I'm not sure but I think that actually no one test them in gaming. I think that people are worried, cause this is new product. No one wanna try them first. Everyone want buy something which were tested that is good in somethin. I only know that AKG is comfy, and very good isolates.  

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #6,477 of 48,566
I'm not interested in the K550s, and doubt I will ever try them. I only do the reviews on headphones I personally buy for my own use, or if someone sends them out to me (which has happened once).

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #6,478 of 48,566
Quote:
I'm not interested in the K550s, and doubt I will ever try them. I only do the reviews on headphones I personally buy for my own use, or if someone sends them out to me (which has happened once).

Yeah, I know. It was just message to ''lubczyk''. But maybe someone who writes in this thread will get them or maybe someone heard them. I read that K550 has nice soundstage. Paradoxically K550 was the first headphones I want to buy, but later I found this site and everything goes different 
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #6,479 of 48,566
I feel the same about the K550. For the longest time I was almost convinced I'd be purchasing them, but I don't want to take the risk. I've read many times that it is similar to the Q701 but has fuller bass. Even though audio can be quite subjective, I was surprised to hear that these closed phones sound better than the Q701 from multiple sources. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #6,480 of 48,566
Does anyone know a video or thing i can do to check if one of my speakers aren't working right?  I just got my SR850 and it seems the right ear isn't as loud as the left one.  I can't tell if it's me or the headphones.  The weird part is when i flip the headphones around it sounds more natural so I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back