Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 1, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #4,426 of 48,562
Is the concensus still pretty much that the K70x and Senns are at the top of the pack? Just snapped the earcup off the side of my Nixon RPMs (only 2 months after doing the same thing to my Shure SHR-840s) and decided its time for a gaming headset. I listen to some music and watch movies (I'm no audiophile so perfect sound isn't required, but just tolarable is good enough for me), but gaming will be its main use (on the PC hooked up to an Asus STX)...

I live in Thailand, and there are no physical shops where I can sit down and listen to high end gaming headsets, so I have to go off the opinions here. Budget doesn't matter. I want the best I can get that will do gaming, not break so damn easy, and allow me to listen to music and movies tolerably.

Thanks guys! This thread is super helpful!!

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #4,427 of 48,562
^ I think MLE and Chicolom recommend the Q701, not the K70x, for most people. The only exception both seem to make is if you play competitively; but for everyone else considering the AKG 70x headphones, the Q seems to be their pick.
Beyer 990 (Pro, not Premium) gets a fair number of recommendations too. 

Also: what did you do to your previous headphones??

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #4,428 of 48,562
I'm not sure how they broke. I though the nixons were built like a rock. They're heavy as hell. I grabbed the ear cup, probably stretched it out 1 - 2 centimeters and *SNAP* looks like there is a weak spot right where something is molded and connected from the plastic headband to the metal cup swingers or whatever you wanna call them. Damn shame cuz they are great for some kinds of music. Just kinda realizing i liked the shures more for gaming. My choice in Thailand is too limited. Was hunting for the price of q701s and found some... they want $700 for them... the k701s 300 - 400. Asia is weird.

I'll keep hunting. Maybe just take some audio technicas since I've seen them about here.

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #4,429 of 48,562
the wired mixamp is the better option anyway unless you NEED wireless but even so you still gotta clip it to your boxers or panties xD. 

The astro head set based on my experience is not even worth $50, my old school $20 logitech rivals it in SQ. 

On another note, hyperdimension neptunia mk2 is no where near as slow in gameplay as MK1, even the static scenes have more LIFE to them.  While combat may not be anything more than 1 dimensional, it gives you the feeling that its more free.  Its like going from a lifeless doll that speaks to a real human. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #4,430 of 48,562
For some reason when I turn on Dolby Headphone, I get the opposite of what I expect and the positioning actually seems to be worse, playing mostly Battlefield 3. I've eventually started playing with it off, and I find that everything feels more pinpoint without it, and has the obvious benefit of more music-like clarity.

I'm using a pair of AD700s hooked up to a Xonar DX, let me know if any of you managed to have the same experience with DH.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #4,431 of 48,562
Quote:
For some reason when I turn on Dolby Headphone, I get the opposite of what I expect and the positioning actually seems to be worse, playing mostly Battlefield 3. I've eventually started playing with it off, and I find that everything feels more pinpoint without it, and has the obvious benefit of more music-like clarity.

I'm using a pair of AD700s hooked up to a Xonar DX, let me know if any of you managed to have the same experience with DH.

Hmm..That's interesting, but it makes sense. I just played some played some Battlefield 3 to see if the same effect would happen to me.
I use an AD700 as well, with a surround emulator that is very similar to Dolby Headphone called Sony Headphone Theater.
  So I start a mission, get in some fights, and get a feel for the sound without Headphone Theater. It sounds great and crisp, there is pinpoint clarity and a good sense of perspective "air."
  During one of the fights, I finally activate Headphone Theater. And my gosh, does it sound like a mess. Not only are the usual changes made by surround emulation there, but almost all of the pin-point accuracy is replaced by some serious environmental reverb.
  I believe that the problem is the fact that Battlefield already uses a special kind of surround emulator (advanced stereo mixing.) Adding Dolby Headphone or anything similar just overdoes the effect. So you really don't need Dolby Headphone in Battlefield 3, in my opinion.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #4,432 of 48,562
That's because BF3 is a terrible demo for Dolby Headphone. Sounds are all over the place, and placement was never good.

Also, in the game, you have to make sure you have the sound set to HOME THEATER or whatever, not Headphone. If you're using anything other than the theater option (or whaveter it's called, I forget), you are sending the Mixamp the wrong kind of signal.

In other news, just ordered Shinobido 2 for the Vita. At first I was iffy, until I read that it's basically a re-skin of Tenchu... that was all I needed to hear. I LOOOOOOOOVE Tenchu....except Tenchu Z for the 360, the Wii one, and the DS one...

Tenchu baby, TENCHU.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #4,433 of 48,562
Make sure to turn off enhanced stereo mode as well,  BF3 set to HT/No Enhanced stereo sounds great through dolby headphone. Better than CMSS3d for stronger oomph impact but positioning isn't hugely altered between them in this game.  Its way better than BF3's built in headphone mode.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #4,434 of 48,562
I cant get the manual on astos website to open. The mixamp pro does not come with a y splitter for headphone and mic right?

Also trying to spend the last of my store credit. Are the a star earbuds worth it? I already have a pair of koss kcs75 for compact portable use.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4,435 of 48,562

Quote:
^ I think MLE and Chicolom recommend the Q701, not the K70x, for most people. The only exception both seem to make is if you play competitively; but for everyone else considering the AKG 70x headphones, the Q seems to be their pick.

Correct
wink.gif

Quote:
Was hunting for the price of q701s and found some... they want $700 for them... the k701s 300 - 400. Asia is weird.

There are some Q's on the FS forum at a nice price  > http://www.head-fi.org/t/598549/akg-q701-mint-condition

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #4,436 of 48,562

Quote:
Now if monster and dolby can finish going to court together so they can release their own mixamp. But not many like monster either. The asking price was good considering it had lithium battery in it.

www.sonicelectronix.com/item_29752_Monster-Ultimate-Gaming-Surround-Sound-Amplifier.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle

Never saw this before ^
confused.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #4,437 of 48,562
That was supposed to come with the Tron inspired Monster T1s (lol, Beyer), I believe.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #4,439 of 48,562
I seem to be a bit of a special case, but I just can't find myself to prefer Dolby Headphone on as opposed to off. I've toyed around with different sound settings rather tediously for the past week or so and have never been able to find any DH setting that felt anywhere near as lifelike or natural as simply leaving it off (including the settings recommended after my previous post). This was obviously against my initial expectations, but it simply works amazing without DH on. Confused, but definitely not a real negative. On the plus side, I also don't need to deal with any loss in SQ and music still sounds great 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #4,440 of 48,562

Quote:
I seem to be a bit of a special case, but I just can't find myself to prefer Dolby Headphone on as opposed to off. I've toyed around with different sound settings rather tediously for the past week or so and have never been able to find any DH setting that felt anywhere near as lifelike or natural as simply leaving it off (including the settings recommended after my previous post). This was obviously against my initial expectations, but it simply works amazing without DH on. Confused, but definitely not a real negative. On the plus side, I also don't need to deal with any loss in SQ and music still sounds great 
smily_headphones1.gif

What other games have you tried DH with, aside from BF3? Skyrim is a pretty nice environment to use DH in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back