Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 17, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #38,566 of 48,562
Because Shure does not advertise them as audiophile headphones, they don't come to audio shows, the cans were overpriced at launched, and because Tyll didn't like them.

PC37X is pretty great for it's price and the added mic is very convenient. Positional accuracy is not as good as Shure's but it's like 1/4 of its price so that was expected.

Thank you for answer

Ordered PC37X and sennheiser GSX1000 !
But should be waiting a long time
redface.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #38,567 of 48,562
  I'm considering grabbing the PC37X's, but it's a tough choice between these, The 558's on sale at Best Buy and a boom mic, or the Phillips SPH9500 and a V-Moda BoomPro. 

Pick one with best return policy. If You don't like them, return and repeat until You find cans that you like.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #38,569 of 48,562
I dont know why there are few 1840 enthusiast. It sounds good and cheap(now not release)

By the way, i know the 1840 positional is good and I had order a GSX1000 for playing battlefield 1 and R6S. It seems a good dac & amp for virtual 7.1.

How about PC37X/PC373D performance? Massdrop had open and I am quite interesting compare with 1840 in virtual surround. PC37X have internal mic and seems good.

Hm, I wish I thought $500 was 'cheap' lol

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #38,571 of 48,562

I dont know why there are few 1840 enthusiast. It sounds good and cheap(now not release)

By the way, i know the 1840 positional is good and I had order a GSX1000 for playing battlefield 1 and R6S. It seems a good dac & amp for virtual 7.1.

How about PC37X/PC373D performance? Massdrop had open and I am quite interesting compare with 1840 in virtual surround. PC37X have internal mic and seems good.

Hm, I wish I thought $500 was 'cheap' lol

Wait till You see the pricetag on HE-1

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #38,573 of 48,562
  People are aware that stupidly expensive stuff exists, but it's still hard to ever claim dropping $500 on a set is "cheap" y'know?

I'm pretty sure the guy who called them cheap actually meant "cheaper than what they used to cost when they launched".

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #38,575 of 48,562
Nah, I just use a Blue Microphone's Snowball. Plugging something into the controller will at least steal both the chat input and output, so to hear your friends you would have to have a mess of splitters and adapters. Using a USB desktop mic (like the Blue) is much simpler, because all the chat and game output is sent through the PS4's optical out and you get to keep your controller wireless.

Hi there. Would like to get more clarification on this. So tell me if I'm getting this right...you're using a Mojo connected via optical cable to your PS4. Your headphone is connected to the Mojo via headphone out for all in-game sounds & incoming voice chat.  For outgoing voice chat, you use a Blue Snowball USB mic hooked up to your PS4's USB port. Does the PS4 recognize the Blue Snowball as a USB mic and does voice chat work as intended this way? All other in-game sounds can be heard on your headphones with no issue?

I'm currently scratching my head, not sure how I can get a mic to work with my setup. Which is PS4 > optical cable > Fiio D03K DAC > line out > Fiio Q1 DAC/amp > Superlux HD668B headphones. Sounds great & the wire mess isn't too bad but all I'm missing is mic functionality. I've tried using standalone mics connected to the DualShock 4's audio 3.5mm jack, Y splitter connected to the Fiio Q1, Kingston Hyperx Cloud 2 USB soundcard connected via USB to PS4 & then 3.5mm connected to that...all of that didn't work. Either the PS4 doesn't detect the mic or the mic is detected but I lose some in game sound, etc. Have messed around with settings "output to headphones" changed from' all audio' to 'chat only' but also to no avail.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance!

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #38,577 of 48,562
For competitive gaming, I'd say you'd probably be best off with the Modmic. If you intend to start a Youtube channel or stream then the Snowball and Yeti offer a similar price to performance ratio.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #38,578 of 48,562
  guys, what's the best choice price to performance mic for competitive gaming? modmic, blue snowball, blue yeti? or something else?

I wouldn't bother with the desktop ones unless make money with your voice.

Here's Modmic:

And here's BoomPro for comparison:

Pick one that's least painful to setup.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #38,579 of 48,562
Maybe some of us have a similar interest in microphones that we have in headphones. :p

I admit there's a weird irony in audiophiles dropping real money on headphones then using a garbage Snowball.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #38,580 of 48,562
Maybe some of us have a similar interest in microphones that we have in headphones. :p

I admit there's a weird irony in audiophiles dropping real money on headphones then using a garbage Snowball.

I feel the same every time I see a guy with GTX1080 and liquid cooled CPU using an onboard soundcard and Razer headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back