Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #38,552 of 48,562
Out of curiosity, is it any good for metal? Is it faster, and is the treble rolled-off more? 

There is definitely more low-end so it's better than 598 unless You're into djent or grindcore in which case look somewhere else.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #38,553 of 48,562
There is definitely more low-end so it's better than 598 unless You're into djent or grindcore in which case look somewhere else.

Yeah, I'm always looking for headphones that do both equally well, but unfortunately, you have spend a lot of money to make that happen. The closest I've seen  that isn't stratospherically expensive is the new Beyerdynamic DT1990, but that usually runs about $500, which isn't cheap. It is a very good headphone, however.

It's much cheaper to just get one headphone good for each. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #38,554 of 48,562
Yeah, I'm always looking for headphones that do both equally well, but unfortunately, you have spend a lot of money to make that happen. The closest I've seen  that isn't stratospherically expensive is the new Beyerdynamic DT1990, but that usually runs about $500, which isn't cheap. It is a very good headphone, however.

It's much cheaper to just get one headphone good for each. 

Do what I plan to do and buy just the drivers straight from beyerdynamic and put them in some cheaper enclosure.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #38,556 of 48,562

I opened them up and the driver looked almost identical to the HD598 one. PC373D and PC37X are the exact same headphone but with different cable so by extension it would be based on HD598 too.
The entire HD5X8 series used the same driver, the only difference between them was the shape of the plastic grill on the cups and the fact that HD558 had black tape on the inside of the earcup. Removing that tape made it more similar to the HD598 IIRC.

See, I don't know everything, and I'm not a speaker/headphone/driver designer, but I wonder... might headphones and even drivers be tuned differently even if the drivers look identical?

I haven't read much about the HD518 or HD515, but it was commonly said that an HD555 could be made to sound the same or almost the same as the HD595 if a taped-on felt ring was removed from the HD555. Now, with the HD558 and 98, some people say a simple mod produces a similar sound, some people say it makes them closer, or that you don't end up with the same result at all.

What if the plastic membrane used for the driver looked the same, visually, but it was shaped differently or the magnets were arranged differently, or it stretched differently, resulting in a different frequency curve. These are potential unknowns. Something that does make a difference, a higher the price usually relates to more stringent driver selection. This may mean the two earcups will perform more symmetrically, or that a driver is higher performance and closer to a target performance. That could also explain some sound differences.

In the end, the PC37X totally surprised me because it didn't sound at all like I imagined from HD598 reviews. If anyone could figure out how to tweak a headphone driver in different ways, it's Sennheiser (and experienced modders).

Interesting.....

One way to settle this. One of us needs to go and buy hd598 and do a proper comparison.

Well, I have 2 HD598 and hopefully when the PC37X goes on sale again on massdrop, I will more likely get one and give my comparison eventually.Although I could also see if I can get a PC373D but would return it eventually lol.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #38,557 of 48,562
Interesting.....

Well, I have 2 HD598 and hopefully when the PC37X goes on sale again on massdrop, I will more likely get one and give my comparison eventually.Although I could also see if I can get a PC373D but would return it eventually lol.

You saw that the PC37X drops again today, right?

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #38,559 of 48,562
You saw that the PC37X drops again today, right?

@rudyae86 PC37X is live on Massdrop again.

lol Just saw it. Damn! I wasn't ready for this haha.

I was expecting it to drop around summer when I had more funds lol

I will probably have to skip this one. I am sure there will be many drops for the PC37X in the coming months.

Edit: On a side note, I read through some of the earlier post on the HD598 comparison to the G4ME ONE.....I also agree that both do not sound similar at all and that the G4ME ONE sounds more like the HD558. I remember comparing both and I still like the HD598 far more than the G4ME ONE.

I trust Yethal's ears on how he describes the PC37X sounds like, so I am really intrigued as to how it sounds similar to a HD598.

Yethal....I though you had an HD598 SE?

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #38,561 of 48,562
PC37X is available on Massdrop again:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset

Hi. nice to finally meet another 1840 user, I thought I was the only one. Seriously, try them with virtual surround their positional accuracy is excellent.

I dont know why there are few 1840 enthusiast. It sounds good and cheap(now not release)

By the way, i know the 1840 positional is good and I had order a GSX1000 for playing battlefield 1 and R6S. It seems a good dac & amp for virtual 7.1.

How about PC37X/PC373D performance? Massdrop had open and I am quite interesting compare with 1840 in virtual surround. PC37X have internal mic and seems good.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #38,562 of 48,562
I believe the ATH-AD700X main design was for music and to just happens to be really good for surround sound (best guess).
I believe it's the AD700X's light bass, that allows users to hear details in the other areas of audio.

I agree for light bass will not chaos and easy to listen the footstep. But I think light bass will not improve the positional. Quite hard to explain(?)

Isn't AKG K701 K702 Q701 better for that purpose?

In my weakly impression AKG and ATH sound sigmature quite similar. But I dot like theses sound and not fans so I cant comment with these headphone.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #38,563 of 48,562
@rudyae86,
I just asked a contact of mine if I could borrow a pair of HD598. Put the two head-to-head. I imagine the PC37X will sound different, warmer.

Niiice! I look forward to your comparison between the two but surely, both will sound different. I mean, I would not be surprised if the PC37X is warmer which is not a bad thing as long as it still retains those clear mids and highs I like about the HD598.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #38,564 of 48,562
I'm no good with modding. Both of my op-amp projects have ended in failure, lol.

I'd much rather pay you to mod something for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol no, I learn stuff by trial and error so until I do it with my own cans I won't risk damaging somebody else's. But if I manage to mod my cans this way without damaging them then sure.

I dont know why there are few 1840 enthusiast. It sounds good and cheap(now not release)

By the way, i know the 1840 positional is good and I had order a GSX1000 for playing battlefield 1 and R6S. It seems a good dac & amp for virtual 7.1.

How about PC37X/PC373D performance? Massdrop had open and I am quite interesting compare with 1840 in virtual surround. PC37X have internal mic and seems good.

Because Shure does not advertise them as audiophile headphones, they don't come to audio shows, the cans were overpriced at launched, and because Tyll didn't like them.

PC37X is pretty great for it's price and the added mic is very convenient. Positional accuracy is not as good as Shure's but it's like 1/4 of its price so that was expected.
  I trust Yethal's ears on how he describes the PC37X sounds like, so I am really intrigued as to how it sounds similar to a HD598.

Yethal....I though you had an HD598 SE?

No, I has the regular version, but I cut the plastic grill out of the cups so mine sounded a bit different from the stock HD598. Also, remember that I sold my HD598 almost a year ago co my comparison was based on how I remember the HD598 sounds.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #38,565 of 48,562
I'm considering grabbing the PC37X's, but it's a tough choice between these, The 558's on sale at Best Buy and a boom mic, or the Phillips SPH9500 and a V-Moda BoomPro. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back