Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 31, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #30,901 of 48,578
  Just looked for the Tritton Pro decoder. Doesn't seem to be available in the UK, and the fact that there are only nine left in stock on their own store page I'm thinking it is has possibly been discontinued and they are selling the remaining stock.

The only info I've been able to find about the Turtle Beach TAC is from last year. Hopefully they haven't ditched development as it was sounding pretty interesting. I may wait until after E3 this year to make any decisions, just in case anything interesting comes up.

Edit: This was supposed to be an edit. Most likely cause? Stupidity.

May 31, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #30,902 of 48,578
Guys, the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and Shure SRH1540 reviews have been posted on the first page, with the gaming scores, etc. Sorry for the wait.

I see you didnt have a pair of velour pads to try on the Beyer COPs. I will probably buy a pair once summer hits because these pleather pads get hot rather quickly....unless you live in Alaska and need that extra heat lol

You review is pretty spot on. I keep the slider at 2 for some oomph in the low range. I mainly use this for more immersion while staying quiet at night. Main games I would use them on is Racing games or sims, Flight or Tank games like War Thunder, RTS games like Company of Heroes....well usually games that dont require to have alot of directional or positional accuracy though the COPs are no slouch when it comes to FPS games. I play them from time to time with BF4 and that low end sounds nice in position 2. I tried the rest of the positions but position 4 is too much and position 3 makes it sound more boomy but you are already losing much clarity and the mids become more recessed, hence why I stick with position 2 which makes it seem more balanced.

Great Review MLE at headguru

May 31, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #30,903 of 48,578
  OK so i just played a bit more with the mmx 300 and hd800's on the hdvd800 and also via the mixamp on its own (with the mmx 300 only as my hd800 are balanced)

yea the double amping is better than just the mixamp on its own, it has more control in the lower frequency's. in fact i think for a budget setup hooking a mixamp to a schiit magni (or modi the amp one!) and some adg-1's would be pretty awesome

I'm going to keep my setup hooked up as is.

i have adg-1 in one output of the hdvd800, the mmx 300 in the other (one if the wife's about and i wanna game and one if shes out of the country and i want to game)

the hd800 hooked up to balanced output for best single player when wife's away and my d7100 for best single player when shes here.

i have the daisy chain ports hooked together if i game against others to monitor my voice and hook the pc (zxr) with that cmss3d thingy via its aux in for pc gaming with voice chat etc.

pretty happy with it.

can't wait for the next amp thingy from turtle beach! (the TAC, i heard about it on their posts but not seen anything on it for quite a while)

Thanks!
I went out to pick up breakfast and the local game stop was open so  i put an a40 on the card to try it out. So in the tower (destiny) the directional cues were outstanding but in game mode not so much. I guess I still need to get used to it or pay more attention to it. One thing I noticed right off the bat it that the mixup is not loud enough.... The build quality on both are great. Also when I change eq settings I don't really hear a difference. 

So you have to use the splitter to hear yourself talk?

I haven't tried my hdva600 and hd800 yet. 

Is the a50 a better headphone or is being wireless the only difference?

May 31, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #30,904 of 48,578
The A40 is better than the A50. You're not at the mercy of a sub par internal amp.

I still recommend the PLYR1 over the A50 if wireless is necessary. Irony being that they're both under the same house (Skullcandy owns Astrogaming), and the A50 is supposed to be better. The PLYR1 is the cheaper one, and I feel to be better sounding.

May 31, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #30,905 of 48,578
Wireless maybe but only as another option. Thinking I should try the SOUND BLASTER X7 since it's only $150 mire than what I spent today lol

May 31, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #30,908 of 48,578
So I am in a weird spot right now, currently love my hd800 and x7 for PC gaming for sound but I have some issues with chat function. First, I cannot find a microphone that I am happy with I am currently using the zalman clip on which sounds like crap and has a huge wire. I cannot stand havign multiple cables hanging everywhere, so I am currently on a search for a desktop or usb mic that blocks out background noise and I don't need another wire hanging from my neck. But I cannot seem to find one. This issue becomes worse when using the x7 for console gaming. Between splitters and adapters and cables coming out of the controller I am having an anxiety attack. I might abandon the x7 n hd800 with the consoles and go with a wireless solution and stick with the x7 and hd800 with a usb mic (if I can find one that blocks out background noise) for the PC.

Anyone else having cable messy anxiety trying to use the x7 and chat features at the same time?

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #30,909 of 48,578

Thanks!
I went out to pick up breakfast and the local game stop was open so  i put an a40 on the card to try it out. So in the tower (destiny) the directional cues were outstanding but in game mode not so much. I guess I still need to get used to it or pay more attention to it. One thing I noticed right off the bat it that the mixup is not loud enough.... The build quality on both are great. Also when I change eq settings I don't really hear a difference. 

So you have to use the splitter to hear yourself talk?

I haven't tried my hdva600 and hd800 yet. 

Is the a50 a better headphone or is being wireless the only difference?

hi,

the easiest way to compare is during a game try hitting the dolby button on the device to get a feel for the difference. also i know i may sound condicending and i dont mean to but make sure in the ps4 to set the audio output to optical, dolby encoded. (assuming you have as you said the tower sounded good)

i lost my a40's cable so cant plug them in but on my mmx 300 the volume i find too loud past the 50% mark, the eq settings i tend to not change but it only seems to apply to the game channel not the chat one.

when it come to voice monitoring get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and on the front of the device plug it in the left most and right most holes.

i use a splitter on the headphone out port so i can plug the green (headphone side of the splitter)into the line in on the hdvd800 and the mic can still go into my mmx300's mic. then i plug the mmx 300 into the headphone out of the hdvd800

from what i remember the a40 had a 4 pole end so you would need two splitters one for the headset to get to your amp and the mic in on the mixamp and a second splitter for the mixamp to give a mic in and a speaker out for the hdvd800!

odd but will work.

really sorry to hear its quite, i hadn't thought so myself, i would have advised if i had found it oddly quite.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #30,910 of 48,578
Yeah I followed the setup instructions even though I would of checked settings anyway.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #30,911 of 48,578
So I am in a weird spot right now, currently love my hd800 and x7 for PC gaming for sound but I have some issues with chat function. First, I cannot find a microphone that I am happy with I am currently using the zalman clip on which sounds like crap and has a huge wire. I cannot stand havign multiple cables hanging everywhere, so I am currently on a search for a desktop or usb mic that blocks out background noise and I don't need another wire hanging from my neck. But I cannot seem to find one. This issue becomes worse when using the x7 for console gaming. Between splitters and adapters and cables coming out of the controller I am having an anxiety attack. I might abandon the x7 n hd800 with the consoles and go with a wireless solution and stick with the x7 and hd800 with a usb mic (if I can find one that blocks out background noise) for the PC.

Anyone else having cable messy anxiety trying to use the x7 and chat features at the same time?

Is the x7 bright with the 800s?

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #30,912 of 48,578
I just went in on the Massdrop.

So is this how the hookup is going to look?

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #30,913 of 48,578

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-Professional-Stereo-Recording-3-5mm-Micphone-Mic-For-Iphone-Mini-Ipad-/121090019213?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31870f8d

Plug directly into the controller, set input to the controller, chat output to the X7 and voila

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #30,914 of 48,578

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-Professional-Stereo-Recording-3-5mm-Micphone-Mic-For-Iphone-Mini-Ipad-/121090019213?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31870f8d

Plug directly into the controller, set input to the controller, chat output to the X7 and voila

This same setup would work with the Mixamp & PS4, right? Can you use any old lav mic plugged in to the controller?

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #30,915 of 48,578

This same setup would work with the Mixamp & PS4, right? Can you use any old lav mic plugged in to the controller?

It's easier with the mixamp, use either USb connection or PS4 chat cable between the ds4 and the controller port

Users who are viewing this thread

Back