Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 2, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #30,121 of 48,566
The Blue Microphones Snowball is real nice. Or the Yeti, which is pretty much a 100. Either will do nicely for PC/PS
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure bout Xbox.

Before I sold my Xbone recently, I'd just use the computer to redirect the playback of the Yeti's Mic to the controller, and it worked pretty well, albeit it is very sensitive to noises around you. IIRC, you can just plug the usb into the PS4.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #30,122 of 48,566
The Blue Microphones Snowball is real nice. Or the Yeti, which is pretty much a 100. Either will do nicely for PC/PS
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure bout Xbox.

Well thanks for taking the time to reply.  I'm really trying to find out info for myself one what you can do to hook up mics with the xbox one.  There are ways. 
They are all through the controller.  And they all use adapters and crap.  Looking for a way without extra junk...  Now while it wasn't possible with the 360 to
the best of my knowledge, and you can't get both chat and sound directly through usb one xbox one, the controller uses usb for the headset adapter.  I wonder if plugging a usb mic into it would work.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #30,123 of 48,566
  Well thanks for taking the time to reply.  I'm really trying to find out info for myself one what you can do to hook up mics with the xbox one.  There are ways. 
They are all through the controller.  And they all use adapters and crap.  Looking for a way without extra junk...  Now while it wasn't possible with the 360 to
the best of my knowledge, and you can't get both chat and sound directly through usb one xbox one, the controller uses usb for the headset adapter.  I wonder if plugging a usb mic into it would work.

I can tell you from personal experience, it won't. At least not with game sound. The proprietary connection they use on the controller is different from USB, and the Xbone does not have USB drivers in its OS. Bizarre, I know. The controller doesn't use a USB chip; it uses its own thing. Now, when DX12 and Windows X come out on the Xbone, it probably will as they're trying to position it to being as close to the PC as possible and have their own ecosystem between console, phones, and PC.

Off topic in comparison to your post, but seeing as I've experienced both consoles now for an extended amount of time...The Xbox One may actually be end up being the better console in the long run, especially since Phil Spencer took over that division. Let me put it this way: Sony (being a Japanese Company) and Microsoft (being an American company) have two different philosophies in the way they see business. If you were to tell Sony that the Playstation sold 15 million copies and is raking in revenue but they're only in second place in overall game sales, they'd just shrug and say "Doesn't matter, made millions." Microsoft, as we're seeing now, is more or less adopting the mentality of "we're not in first place, and therefor not winning this competition nor making the most money." Thus, they put on their try-hard panties and HD800 with modmic, and start trying to regain the lead from Playstation.

If you were to tell me in 2012 that we'd see Microsoft in second place and taking it personally despite not being the worst selling console of that generation, I would have laughed. But they are, and they're improving the system. Will it matter in the end? Who knows. It'll work out well for Playstation too though, as they seem more competition to push out more games than GoW 3 Remastered and Bloodborne this year.

Sorry for the rant. I've gotten nine hours of sleep total since Monday. I figured keeping my brain active would keep me up while I'm at work.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #30,124 of 48,566

I can tell you from personal experience, it won't. At least not with game sound. The proprietary connection they use on the controller is different from USB, and the Xbone does not have USB drivers in its OS. Bizarre, I know. The controller doesn't use a USB chip; it uses its own thing. Now, when DX12 and Windows X come out on the Xbone, it probably will as they're trying to position it to being as close to the PC as possible and have their own ecosystem between console, phones, and PC.

Off topic in comparison to your post, but seeing as I've experienced both consoles now for an extended amount of time...The Xbox One may actually be end up being the better console in the long run, especially since Phil Spencer took over that division. Let me put it this way: Sony (being a Japanese Company) and Microsoft (being an American company) have two different philosophies in the way they see business. If you were to tell Sony that the Playstation sold 15 million copies and is raking in revenue but they're only in second place in overall game sales, they'd just shrug and say "Doesn't matter, made millions." Microsoft, as we're seeing now, is more or less adopting the mentality of "we're not in first place, and therefor not winning this competition nor making the most money." Thus, they put on their try-hard panties and HD800 with modmic, and start trying to regain the lead from Playstation.

If you were to tell me in 2012 that we'd see Microsoft in second place and taking it personally despite not being the worst selling console of that generation, I would have laughed. But they are, and they're improving the system. Will it matter in the end? Who knows. It'll work out well for Playstation too though, as they seem more competition to push out more games than GoW 3 Remastered and Bloodborne this year.

Sorry for the rant. I've gotten nine hours of sleep total since Monday. I figured keeping my brain active would keep me up while I'm at work.

Not saying I disagree, but I think Sony would do the same thing that MS is doing now if they were behind... They pretty much did that with the PS3. They started horribly and ended up outselling the X360 by some ~2 million consoles at the end, even though they launched a year easier...
I mean, in general there's not much else you can do - you either level your game or end up like the Wii U...
IMO.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #30,125 of 48,566
  Not saying I disagree, but I think Sony would do the same thing that MS is doing now if they were behind... They pretty much did that with the PS3. They started horribly and ended up outselling the X360 by some ~2 million consoles at the end, even though they launched a year easier...
I mean, in general there's not much else you can do - you either level your game or end up like the Wii U...
IMO.

That was a combination of things. The 360 didn't have a huge lead at all compared to the PS3, despite how people exaggerate it. They gambled that the blu-ray in the PS3 would help them win out, and they were only partially right. There's some other factors there, like the free psn, that helped them out a little bit, but they simply kept in pace with how they usually did business and they predictably grew steadily to the point of surpassing the 360. If they really cared about not being in first place as much as Microsoft, they would have super-try hard at beating the Wii.

Microsoft could have maintained their lead if they weren't being ran by a guy who cared little about games at that time. They ultimately lost some of their consumer base simply because they had an abysmal fail rate (I believe some people quote it at 50%, but it was more at 30%. However, those Gen 1 360s were almost guaranteed to die after a couple of years.) They tried capitalizing on the casual market by releasing and focusing on the Kinect, while releasing stupid hardware revisions that had questionable design flaws like a missing optical output or lack of built-in wireless capabilities for years. It didn't help that they ******* suck at the non-US market that the PS3 started cornering. Seriously though, the PS3 did a lot better in other regions, which is what led to its overall success. They didn't need to push anything in the US, and, besides an optional subscription service that gave you free games that they were planning on implementing on a more mandatory basis, they didn't need to.

This generation is different. Last generation, Microsoft was winning so handedly because they had their home market hook-line-and-sinker by almost double its competition (as Microsoft sold over 43 million to PS3's 21 million in the US.) They were literally dominating the US market so hard that it didn't ultimately matter to them how well Sony did everywhere else. This generation though? Even though they have slightly less powerful (the PS4 isn't all that more powerful despite what people tote) console and the huge backing of past purchasers of their system, they completely lost that lead. They had such ****ty PR during their console announcement and made such poor decisions on the console's UI that everything they lucked out on last generation went poof (though they were doing that to themselves seeing as their support for their own console was waning.) Sony, on the other hand, didn't have to do jack-crap and just kept doing what they were doing with no change. They literally gained the US market because Microsoft ****ed it up for themselves and, combined with their success in other regions, are now outselling the One two to one overall.

So, you have a company that wasn't even losing in any stretch of the imagination on their home turf now being beaten by a couple hundred thousand (I'm not kidding, the difference in the US isn't all that much) units, but their lack of worldwide recognition and foothold in those markets put them way the hell behind what numbers they should have had by now. So now the Xbone, despite having a pace that outdoes past generations around this time, are very much in second place. They're doing fairly well and making money, just not as well as the competition. Hence why they're trying hard now and restructuring, as they actually need to put effort into ALL the markets as opposed to just the US that they didn't have to do much to take over.

Then you have the Wii-U. Despite the doom and gloom that people try passing it off as, it is only a failure if you compare it to the Wii's sales. They're actually only slightly behind Microsoft overall, and people that have a Wii-U tend to have a higher adoption rate game-wise than either of those companies (if you look at it percentage-wise.) They also don't sell consoles at a loss, so they aren't exactly relying on games to gain revenue like the other two companies do (the xbone and ps4 are sold at a loss.) The Wii-U is a failure in the public eyes and in the marketing scheme of things, but it isn't doing all that bad in reality. Even if you bring up the fact that the Vita has been selling more than the WiiU, that's because of Japan moving towards more of a mobile market and it has been out a lot longer. However, the revenue isn't there for the Vita as the there's only really a small selection of hit titles (which is the main reason the Vita is actually a failure and the WiiU isn't doing bad enough to be more than made fun of.) Plus, Nintendo doesn't actually seem to care all that much, seeing as they have the juggernaut known as the 3DS that is still doing amazingly in a market that smart phones were apparently being deemed to have taken over years ago. Hell, it has sold over triple the amount of consoles the PS4 has, and it definitely isn't sold at a loss at all.

TL;DR: Sony was never that much in last place last generation, as they had the world market. The Xbone, however, is losing in the US and the world, which makes it second place by a large margin and making them try to actually get people to buy the damn thing. The WiiU isn't actually in dire straights, but Nintendo gives no ****s as the 3DS dominates everything anyway.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #30,126 of 48,566
Transistor is amazing. I listen to the soundtrack more than the rest of my music. Truth.

I still think Bastion was a better game, gameplay-wise. Both are equal for me in terms of story and characters. I love Red. And yes, I've used an avatar oe two of hers already, lol.

My last one was actually Ryoko fanart from Tenchi Muyo.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #30,127 of 48,566

I like stories that dump you in with no background and start using words that you have to figure out as you go along.  Think Dune, Clockwork Orange, Anathem, that sort of thing.  Combine that with good music and good art and it's a winner in my book...

I love Dune; one of my fave books. Note I didn't say I hate being dropped into the middle of the story: I said I don't like it when the story assumes I'm in love with the main character. I didn't care a whit about her at the start and the game never made me, which is the opposite of what Herbert does for me in Dune. I guess I'm not gaga over the music enough ^_^

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #30,128 of 48,566
So the X2/Boompro works just fine off the DS4, for moderate volume listening with voice chat. That's good enough for me for Destiny, anyways. Since I don't really voice chat otherwise, I'll stick to just this for the time being.

Anyone interested in a very good headphone for cheap? I bought my Ultrasone HFI-15G for $100, and I'd be willing to sell for $50. I really don't use it, and I feel it deserves a good home for someone who likes an open, bassy, ULTRA comfortable headphone. It's stuck in limbo due to being too insensitive for my work use, and I already have the X2 and TH900 for home.

It scored high on my guide, because that's how much I like it.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #30,129 of 48,566
So the X2/Boompro works just fine off the DS4, for moderate volume listening with voice chat. That's good enough for me for Destiny, anyways. Since I don't really voice chat otherwise, I'll stick to just this for the time being.

Anyone interested in a very good headphone for cheap? I bought my Ultrasone HFI-15G for $100, and I'd be willing to sell for $50. I really don't use it, and I feel it deserves a good home for someone who likes an open, bassy, ULTRA comfortable headphone. It's stuck in limbo due to being too insensitive for my work use, and I already have the X2 and TH900 for home.

It scored high on my guide, because that's how much I like it.

Hey MLE-

Are you playing Destiny on Playstation Network? I'm on there a good 4-5 nights a week. I wonder if we've ever crossed paths on there.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #30,130 of 48,566
I'm under Sin_Crimson.

I just started playing Destiny again about 2 weeks ago, after a good break (i stopped playing the first week of the DLC).

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #30,131 of 48,566
I'm under Sin_Crimson.

I just started playing Destiny again about 2 weeks ago, after a good break (i stopped playing the first week of the DLC).

Right on! I'm under bassman53211.

You'll most likely see me romping around the solar system with my level 30 lady Bladedancer.

I have a question for you: do you use the voice channel when you run strikes with randoms? I've never really done this, but I see people enter the voice channel occasionally. As another player, do you find either approach to be a faux pas? I've been kinda wondering about this for a while.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #30,132 of 48,566

You'll most likely see me romping around the solar system with my level 30 lady Bladedancer.

I have a question for you: do you use the voice channel when you run strikes with randoms? I've never really done this, but I see people enter the voice channel occasionally. As another player, do you find either approach to be a faux pas? I've been kinda wondering about this for a while.

There's a reason you have to opt-in.  If you don't want to hear other folks, turn it off.  lol

Mad, I didn't realize you started playing again.  What brought you back?

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #30,133 of 48,566

There's a reason you have to opt-in.  If you don't want to hear other folks, turn it off.  lol

Mad, I didn't realize you started playing again.  What brought you back?

Oh, I know. What I'm saying is I've never been one to opt in to the voice channel. I've really been a single player campaign guy up until Destiny. I was just making sure I wasn't acting like a d-bag in the social gaming world. Does that make sense? I think your response sort of answered my question though. :) Are you playing Destiny on PSN too?

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #30,134 of 48,566
Oh, I know. What I'm saying is I've never been one to opt in to the voice channel. I've really been a single player campaign guy up until Destiny. I was just making sure I wasn't acting like a d-bag in the social gaming world. Does that make sense? I think your response sort of answered my question though.
smily_headphones1.gif
Are you playing Destiny on PSN too?

I stopped playing around the same time Mad did and I haven't gone back yet.  That DLC really rubbed me wrong.  I'll wait for Destiny 2.

But yeah, no need to opt into voice in Destiny.  Many folks either don't have voice or are in party chat anyhow.  In a raid you probably should at least be listening, but for normal stuff it's fine.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #30,135 of 48,566
Oh, I know. What I'm saying is I've never been one to opt in to the voice channel. I've really been a single player campaign guy up until Destiny. I was just making sure I wasn't acting like a d-bag in the social gaming world. Does that make sense? I think your response sort of answered my question though. :) Are you playing Destiny on PSN too?

I stopped playing around the same time Mad did and I haven't gone back yet.  That DLC really rubbed me wrong.  I'll wait for Destiny 2.

But yeah, no need to opt into voice in Destiny.  Many folks either don't have voice or are in party chat anyhow.  In a raid you probably should at least be listening, but for normal stuff it's fine.

Good tips. Thank you! I think I just like the idea of being a mysterious mute in this game for some weird reason, lol. Though, I might have to start opting in on the higher level weekly strikes. Those are tough and can get discombobulated quickly... And I need to knock some out to get an exotic pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back