Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 13, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #2,627 of 48,578
ZO2 plays real nice with the mixamp 
L3000.gif
 -- but my cans aren't hard to drive either. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2,629 of 48,578

Quote:
No. An external DAC will take all duties from the soundcard, rendering it useless.

An external DAC may bypass the sound card's analog stage, but it sure isn't bypassing the sound card's DSP.

The question is what DSP effects will the sound card permit you to apply to S/PDIF-streamed audio. Xonar cards (possibly other C-Media-based cards as well) allegedly won't allow Dolby Headphone to be applied in this manner, but X-Fi cards will apply CMSS-3D Headphone and in-game EAX effects to S/PDIF streams, at least in theory.

I'm looking at picking up a cheap external DAC/DSP tomorrow and seeing how that works out. It's more for the consoles than anything, but it'll allow me to verify once and for all how X-Fi cards behave with S/PDIF output.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #2,630 of 48,578
The ZO2 is a glorified equalizer. For headphones that don't need EQ, it is worthless. I've seen the charts. It doesn't help headphones with already pronounced areas in the spectrum. Overkill. I could see it working for balanced cans like the PC360 that doesn't have a pronounced ANYTHING, but it also makes it lose that balance that makes them special.

Unless others see themselves using bass boosts and eq, its unnecessary.

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2,631 of 48,578

Quote:
The ZO2 is a glorified equalizer. For headphones that don't need EQ, it is worthless. I've seen the charts. It doesn't help headphones with already pronounced areas in the spectrum. Overkill. I could see it working for balanced cans like the PC360 that doesn't have a pronounced ANYTHING, but it also makes it lose that balance that makes them special.

Sounds like you haven't tested it yourself and making guesses, it boosts the whole frequency range evenly (at the lowest setting) which doesn't result in pronounced areas getting more pronounced (as it's all about the balance of the frequencies), it results in a more dynamic/forward sound though but it won't make a bright headphone brighter. Plus it also enhances the soundstage/imaging/positioning, call it whatever you like slightly and does improve bass response quality except just making it stronger. So yes it's not useless even for a perfectly balanced headphone but it depends if you like forward/dynamic sound or not I suppose, most people seem to do but perhaps not those who really love a more relaxed / laid-back sound signature. ZO makes the music or gaming more engaging, you cannot sit still in your chair when enjoying your favorite music, you have to move along with it! :p

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #2,632 of 48,578

Quote:

An external DAC may bypass the sound card's analog stage, but it sure isn't bypassing the sound card's DSP.

The question is what DSP effects will the sound card permit you to apply to S/PDIF-streamed audio. Xonar cards (possibly other C-Media-based cards as well) allegedly won't allow Dolby Headphone to be applied in this manner, but X-Fi cards will apply CMSS-3D Headphone and in-game EAX effects to S/PDIF streams, at least in theory.

I'm looking at picking up a cheap external DAC/DSP tomorrow and seeing how that works out. It's more for the consoles than anything, but it'll allow me to verify once and for all how X-Fi cards behave with S/PDIF output.

Actually, I've had the opposite experience. I can easily set the Xonar D1 (PCI version of the DX) to output Dolby Headphone with SPDIF, but not with the X-Fi.

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #2,633 of 48,578
Hey guys, I'm glad I found this awesome thread. It's been very, very helpful!

So, I'm switching from Senn555 to Beyer990 250ohm, which I just ordered. I play on my PS3 (mostly singleplayer) and currently amping my Senn with an Ear Force DSS.
Will I need an extra amp for the Beyer? If so, I already have a FiiO E7...I wonder if that'll do the trick. What do you guys think? And how do I connect all the stuff together?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2,634 of 48,578

Quote:

Quote:
Sounds like you haven't tested it yourself and making guesses, it boosts the whole frequency range evenly (at the lowest setting) which doesn't result in pronounced areas getting more pronounced (as it's all about the balance of the frequencies), it results in a more dynamic/forward sound though but it won't make a bright headphone brighter. Plus it also enhances the soundstage/imaging/positioning, call it whatever you like slightly and does improve bass response quality except just making it stronger. So yes it's not useless even for a perfectly balanced headphone but it depends if you like forward/dynamic sound or not I suppose, most people seem to do but perhaps not those who really love a more relaxed / laid-back sound signature. ZO makes the music or gaming more engaging, you cannot sit still in your chair when enjoying your favorite music, you have to move along with it! :p

So basically, adding a Zo2 will make for a funner listening experience no matter what :xf_eek:?

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2,635 of 48,578

Quote:

So, I'm switching from Senn555 to Beyer990 250ohm, which I just ordered. I play on my PS3 (mostly singleplayer) and currently amping my Senn with an Ear Force DSS.
Will I need an extra amp for the Beyer? If so, I already have a FiiO7...I wonder if that'll do the trick. What do you guys think? And how do I connect all the stuff together?

Thanks in advance!

fiio e7? add the e9, itl power them in ways the e7 cant, since its kind of made for less impedance headphones since its portable too..

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #2,636 of 48,578
Guess what guys, got my DT990 Pros!

Jesus Christ. These things pack a wallop like any closed headphone. There's absolutely no way I could see anyone being disappointed by it's bass. It is VERY bassy.

It's very slightly bassier than the DT990/600, and slightly slower, so the bass lingers longer much like a closed headphone.

Due to it's bassier sound, the treble peak is lessened, and the mids are less recessed. The treble is still quite sharp, but more tolerable than the Premiums. The differennces are very minute though. It's there, just enouggh to notice that it's not the same exact sound.

Looks like I don't have a desire to replace these. I'm very happy.

That makes absolutely no sense. I already know it boosts the whole frequency range. What do you think that would do to the DT990's already ridiculously peaky treble? Please go ahead and say it doesn't make it peakier than it already is.

You don't have to try it out. By the graphs, it's blatantly obvious that boosting it higher than it is would be bad news for certain headphones.

Of course for laid back headphones, it would be beneficial. Never said otherwise.

However, as stated before, there are plenty of people who don't like to alter the signature of their headphones. I'm one of them, other than altering the sound of horrible headphones like the XB500. Though that needs a a bass reduction, not a bass boost.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #2,637 of 48,578
Hey MLE, great to see you taking an active roll in this thread again. I'm looking to get a pair of closed cans so I can use them in the library and what not. I've heard you personally say the DT770's aren't all that great. What would be your optimal choice for a closed set of headphones? If they destroy the PC 360's, I may bother to use them but otherwise these will purely be for music listening. If an amp is required, i'd like to hear your opinion on that as well.

Anyone else can chime in too, i'm just the most familiar with MLE's taste in music due to this thread.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #2,638 of 48,578

Quote:

Will I need an extra amp for the Beyer? If so, I already have a FiiO E7...I wonder if that'll do the trick. What do you guys think? And how do I connect all the stuff together?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think you will need an extra amp for 250Ohms headphones.

if you want it anyway, it must not be E7, it should be E9 instead. Amping section on E7 is pretty weak

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #2,639 of 48,578
Hey MLE, great to see you taking an active roll in this thread again. I'm looking to get a pair of closed cans so I can use them in the library and what not. I've heard you personally say the DT770's aren't all that great. What would be your optimal choice for a closed set of headphones? If they destroy the PC 360's, I may bother to use them but otherwise these will purely be for music listening. If an amp is required, i'd like to hear your opinion on that as well.

Anyone else can chime in too, i'm just the most familiar with MLE's taste in music due to this thread.

I wouldn't say the DT770 aren't all that great, just that for a few dollars more, you can have better. I'd personally choose the D2000 first, if it's anything like the D7000. Considering the Creative Aurvana Live is pretty much a slightly improved D1001, and I find the CAL to be comparable to the DT770 Pro 80, it would make sense to hold out for some D2000s.
If it wasn't for the fact that I really don't want a pair of cans with leather/pleather pads, the D2000 would be in my house right now.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2,640 of 48,578

Quote:
However, as stated before, there are plenty of people who don't like to alter the signature of their headphones. I'm one of them, other than altering the sound of horrible headphones like the XB500. Though that needs a a bass reduction, not a bass boost.

Horibble headphones? I picked them up yesterday plugegd them into my iphone 4, got into the ipod eq settings and put it on bass booster, with Say it right by nelly furtado 320 bitrate, and came.

Sounds reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally good! bass is greeeat <3 vocals are quite nice and up front, i gotta say, i LOVE THEM with this song, i implore you to hear that song with the dt990s pros, the bassline at the start will make you say :xf_eek:..........*drool* if it dosent, dt 990 pros are not basshead phones ;D Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JnGBs88sL0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back