Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 13, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #2,611 of 48,578

Quote:
I wasn't sure if the "semi-open" nature of this set would be picked up by the mic.  I've come across some reference to this in the multitudes of review/comparison threads I have looked through.

Sorry, unless you can refer to a specific mic and its settings I can't predict this with that much accuracy...
I use my 880 while playing Xbox. My mic is the wired headset that came with the Xbox (I have it around my neck, with the mic pointing straight up a short distance from my mouth). None of my friends have complained about the mic picking up headphone sound.

If a mic picked up headphone noise, that should trigger a feedback loop, which would be pretty obvious pretty quick. It's never happened.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #2,612 of 48,578
I can also confirm no feedback from my DT880 and Zalman clip-on mic.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #2,613 of 48,578
Hi there, looking for some good gaming cans (soundstage, sound quality, bass)  to go with a good sound card!

Right now I picked up some xb500s from best buy and i like them, but for pc gaming, the soundstage is quite small since its a "very in your face sound".

Would you consider the dt770s or hfi 580 as a major upgrade from the xb500s? (triple the cost of the xb500's) theres also the xb700 but i dont know how those compare to the dt770 or hfi 580, thanks again!

It's not for competitive gaming, it's for just being able to tell where the zombies are coming from wether its from above, or which side, thanks!

Priorities:
1. Hopefully, not much Bass lost from the xb500's obviously it wont be the same or more bass for more quality, that'd be pretty imposible 
rolleyes.gif

2. Soundstage, dosent have to be huge, just be able to more or less picture the people/zombies and where they are at. (FPS)
3. Immersion, a "full" sound, for MMO's or other games that are not FPS.
4. Quality upgrade from the xb500's.

Someone said this, wanted your opinion on it: " I do have a Cowon X7 which has some fairly impressive bass boosting capabilities, and I can get way more bass (while retaining good SQ) out of my HFI-780 with it than I can with my XB-500 + iPod. "

Thanks!

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #2,614 of 48,578
Okay, need to clarify something here.

Quote:
Everything is amped(3.5mm jacks) except optical. No RCA.(from my experience with several X-Fi cards)
Yes, the only duties my sound card sees is surround sound processing and sending that info over optical.

Optical is the only true line out. You have the option of leaving the signal untouched/pass-through or have the card do all the processing and then it gets sent to what ever is on the other end of the optical cable. In my case, an external DAC

There are no RCA jacks. Only 3.5mm headphone/speakers jacks that are connected to the cards amp. All controlled by the PC/soundcard volume, no true line out.

Are you talking about a different model from the X-Fi line? Because the Titanium HD has four RCA-style jacks on the back, two of which are also combination RCA/optical jacks. It uses RCA for the Line Out and Line In/Optical In and Out combo jacks. It only has 3.5mm jacks for the headphone and mic.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #2,615 of 48,578
My dt 770 pro 80 ohm order has been delayed and the online shop gave me the opportunity to cancel that order and buy the immediately available dt 990 pro 250 ohm for the same price. Which of the two will sound better out of my xbox 360+dss setup without having to add an amp?? Thanks again!

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #2,616 of 48,578

Quote:
My dt 770 pro 80 ohm order has been delayed and the online shop gave me the opportunity to cancel that order and buy the immediately available dt 990 pro 250 ohm for the same price. Which of the two will sound better out of my xbox 360+dss setup without having to add an amp?? Thanks again!

Withought an amp? Its obvious the dt770s, they are much easier to drive and have a lot more bass (obviously, they are closed) , get the dt 990 pro which are great and kick the 770's ass in quality and clarity and if you dont crave such a huge bass as in the xb500s.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #2,617 of 48,578
I wouldn't say the DT770 Pro 80 has a LOT more bass. It has more but the DT990 is still bass heavy, but spanks the DT770 in terms of quality of bass, soundstage, and clarity.

The DT770 Pro is easier to drive by a bit.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #2,618 of 48,578
I'm buying these headphones to play mainly offline, and I'm looking for a very immersive experience for movies and games. This is the the main goal. Regarding the music i listen to, i like bass but a good amount of it. i would like to get a good all-rounder pair of headphones (i listen mainly to '70s-'80s rock music and blues) without having the need to add other cash for an amp in the near future..

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #2,619 of 48,578

Quote:
I wouldn't say the DT770 Pro 80 has a LOT more bass. It has more but the DT990 is still bass heavy, but spanks the DT770 in terms of quality of bass, soundstage, and clarity.
The DT770 Pro is easier to drive by a bit.

Answer my post please?

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #2,620 of 48,578
I will be getting the DT990s in today and will see how well the Mixamp drives them compared to attaching an amp. Just give me a little time. This is the first 250ohm Beyer I'm personally testing. Offline, the 32ohm Beyers work great.

The 600ohm sounds similar but may distort and clip during heavy bass, such as deep explosions without an added amp. I'm hoping the 250ohm plays nicely with the Mixamp, which I believe it will. Just a few more hours. The wait is killing me.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #2,621 of 48,578

Quote:
I'm buying these headphones to play mainly offline, and I'm looking for a very immersive experience for movies and games. This is the the main goal. Regarding the music i listen to, i like bass but a good amount of it. i would like to get a good all-rounder pair of headphones (i listen mainly to '70s-'80s rock music and blues) without having the need to add other cash for an amp in the near future..

Everything you need is done greatly by the DT990 Pros and they are 100 bucks cheaper than the premiums, they are only 160~ BUT you will need a decent amp! whichi will cost you about 100, like the fiio e9, if not, just get the premium 32ohm version which is at 320 bucks or so on amazon.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2,622 of 48,578
I have entertained you plenty already, and gave you my recommendations via pm, which work for gaming too. You ask ,and ask, and ask, and even with recommendations, you keep stacking questions upon questions. My head hurts.

And he may not NEED an extra amp, as he is playing offline, meaning the Mixamp/DSS would be fully powering game audio, instead of splitting power between game audio and voice chat, which is where the Mixamp can't really handle the Beyers (even the 32ohm felt too weak). I assume the DSS is a little stronger in amping and doesn't ever power voice chat, so the Beyers would be fine without an additional amp.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #2,623 of 48,578

Quote:
Okay, need to clarify something here.

Are you talking about a different model from the X-Fi line? Because the Titanium HD has four RCA-style jacks on the back, two of which are also combination RCA/optical jacks. It uses RCA for the Line Out and Line In/Optical In and Out combo jacks. It only has 3.5mm jacks for the headphone and mic.

Oh wow I didn't even realize that. I stand corrected. I had a X-Fi Titanium "non-HD" so it didn't have those connectors.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #2,625 of 48,578
Looks that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back