Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 17, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #26,101 of 48,578
The mixamp is definitely noisy. It's one of the drawbacks of the unit. It's got a weak amp and it's noisy/hissy. With anything playing through it, you won't notice though.

The recon is much better in that respect. It doesn't have the background hiss. If you're not chatting, the volume will be fine on the 702.

The pros and cons of the recon vs the mixamp have been discussed many many times. I posted a link to a great comparison video a couple pages back. Go do some more reading.

I spoke with the astro guys at pax and they confirmed that the new model is just visual. All internals will be the same.

that's disappointing - it would be nice if they fixed the hiss issue :/
hmm shall go find that comparison video 

----
and...
why would anyone pick the Sound Blaster Z over the Omni then?

can't seem to find a good price on the Recon3D guess I have to just buy the Mixamp.. or make do with Stereo sound until X7 is available.
PS4 Stereo -> Sound Blaster Z/Omni -> Fidelio X1 + BoomPro should sound way better than my Sony PULSE Wireless Elite right?

would the following FiiO model work? FiiO D7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOG4O34

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #26,102 of 48,578
But during a chatting game, can I adjust Recon3D over PS4 settings, how people do?

Is the only question that is holding me to purchase a unit.

Thx

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #26,103 of 48,578

that's disappointing - it would be nice if they fixed the hiss issue :/
hmm shall go find that comparison video 

----
and...
why would anyone pick the Sound Blaster Z over the Omni then?

can't seem to find a good price on the Recon3D guess I have to just buy the Mixamp.. or make do with Stereo sound until X7 is available.
PS4 Stereo -> Sound Blaster Z/Omni -> Fidelio X1 + BoomPro should sound way better than my Sony PULSE Wireless Elite right?

would the following FiiO model work? FiiO D7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOG4O34

Some people like the internal unit so they don't have extra stuff cluttering their desk.  Sometimes the Z is cheaper.

But during a chatting game, can I adjust Recon3D over PS4 settings, how people do?

Is the only question that is holding me to purchase a unit.

Thx

Please clarify your question?  I'm not sure what you're asking.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #26,104 of 48,578
Try to use other USB ports. The best would be, if you try it on an external hub or USB 3.
Tried to unplug not used devices (USB Printer and so on)?
Try it. In some cases this will help.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #26,105 of 48,578
Some people like the internal unit so they don't have extra stuff cluttering their desk.  Sometimes the Z is cheaper.

Please clarify your question?  I'm not sure what you're asking.

I was asking if I can balance de game/chat volume in PS4 settings (there is a setting where I can balance, but don't work in mixamp pro).

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #26,106 of 48,578
I was asking if I can balance de game/chat volume in PS4 settings (there is a setting where I can balance, but don't work in mixamp pro).

Oh I see.  Hmm, I've never tried it.  No idea...

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #26,107 of 48,578
  Wait for the Soundblaster X7 if you have the cash. 

Thanks for the suggestion, i was about to go with the Omni, but this seems like a step up from it, any rumors into how much will it cost? or when will it be released?

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #26,109 of 48,578
Hey guys.

So I just got myself a set of AKG K702's and an Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 edition last week. One problem I noticed immediately when I'd set everything up:

With the Mixamp volume turned up full, there is a somewhat quiet but still very audible and annoying hiss/static noise.

Now I don't game online and I'm not using a mic for chat, so I simply have the Game/Voice dial on the Mixamp turned all the way to the Game side.

I've tried swapping out the USB cable as suggested by some others who had audio problems with their Mixamps but this made no difference.  I've tested the unit with my other headphones but the noise is still present.

I've even tried turning the main volume knob to half way.  Doing so greatly reduces the noise but then the overall volume is too quiet to actually play a game.  I even tried using a FiiO E12 to increase the volume that way but I knew this was a desperate play, obviously the noise was just amplified as well.

I've been discussing the issue with Astro customer support and they've told me that the hissing/white noise is present on every Astro Mixamp when volume is turned up to 3/4 full and above. 

Has anybody else experienced any issues like this on their Mixamp?

Cheers

I plug the USB Into the back of my computer because the only use of it is chat for PS4 and I use a USB mic. No hiss for me, winner winner chicken dinner. Let me know if it works for you.

EDIT: You could probably even try using a wall adapter USB, like an apple one.

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #26,110 of 48,578

Thx. :)

One more question:

Can i use Recon3D only connected by optical to my TV to watch movies, and  USB cable to a wall charger? Will i have the THX surround presets from R3D? 
I ask this question because in Recon3D i only see 3 options PS3 \ PC \ Xbox, for TV which set should i set?

For gaming on PS4, I'm thinking this setup 

Optical PS4 ------ Optical R3D------3.5  R3D ---------  MP3  Mixamp (Surround off) -----3.5  Mixamp --------- AKG702

USB PS4  -------  USB Mixamp (For balance the chat)
USB R3D ------- USB hub for power

This mater to try MixAmp at lowest possible volume, where hiss is minimal ..... This assuming that Recon3D has no hiss at louder volume. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #26,111 of 48,578
   Thx. :)

One more question:

Can i use Recon3D only connected by optical to my TV to watch movies, and  USB cable to a wall charger? Will i have the THX surround presets from R3D? 
I ask this question because in Recon3D i only see 3 options PS3 \ PC \ Xbox, for TV which set should i set?

For gaming on PS4, I'm thinking this setup 

Optical PS4 ------ Optical R3D------3.5  R3D ---------  MP3  Mixamp (Surround off) -----3.5  Mixamp --------- AKG702

USB PS4  -------  USB Mixamp (For balance the chat)
USB R3D ------- USB hub for power

This mater to try MixAmp at lowest possible volume, where hiss is minimal ..... This assuming that Recon3D has no hiss at louder volume. 

Why on earth would You like to daisy chain recon 3d with the mixamp?

Most tv's output 2 channel audio through optical out and not dolby digital (which mixamp and recon 3d uses)

Just use PS3 preset.

Also, why do You overcomplicate Your setup like that?

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #26,112 of 48,578

This is probably my very last question that will fully point me toward what is my next steps and how i learn better about audio.

1. Mixamp Astros White noise is the same noise you get with headphones as you do get with the a40s headset? 
Note: im using the wireless amp, 2012 MLG Edition. 

2. Sound quality alone (Virtual sound 7.1), how much better is it to get headphones like the HD598 or K701/702?
Note: If you can scale everything based on your preference, would be great. 
Note 2: i have reviewed the first page, im noting toward your opinion!

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #26,113 of 48,578
All Mixamps hiss, and it's directly embedded into the stream. Meaning no matter how low you put your Mixamp volume and add an amp, it will still have the same hiss at the same decibel level.

Test: 1 Master volume low, external amp high = hiss X
Test 2: Master volume high, no external amp = hiss X
Test 3: Master volume high, external amp low = hiss X

There is NO way to get rid of the embedded hiss of the Mixamp. Once you reach the same volume you're used to, it will be the same hiss.

If you want less hiss, get a Recon 3D, older HK, Marantz or Denon receiver with DH or try and find an elusive Victor/JVC SU-DH1. Good luck with that. You can also use less sensitive headphones like the 600ohm Beyers or the Hifiman HE-4 which reduce hiss quite a bit, IIRC. Been awhile.

Note: I'm talking about the hiss that is embedded, not whatever hiss you may be having with some shoddy USB or mic connection.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #26,114 of 48,578
  This is probably my very last question that will fully point me toward what is my next steps and how i learn better about audio.

1. Mixamp Astros White noise is the same noise you get with headphones as you do get with the a40s headset? 
Note: im using the wireless amp, 2012 MLG Edition. 

2. Sound quality alone (Virtual sound 7.1), how much better is it to get headphones like the HD598 or K701/702?
Note: If you can scale everything based on your preference, would be great. 
Note 2: i have reviewed the first page, im noting toward your opinion!

If you read the reviews on the front page, it's pretty clear that the Senns and AKGs blow the A40 out of the water.  I haven't heard the Astros to speak from first-hand experience, but that's the whole point of the guide.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #26,115 of 48,578
What MLE says. The emitted hiss is constant and less sensitive headphones reduce it quite a bit. And yep, it is a lot better with the 3D but there's still some minor left.... Much less than with Mixamp/Turtle Beach definitely though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back