Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 16, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #26,086 of 48,578
Sep 16, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #26,087 of 48,578
My current setup is a Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 edition hooked up via optical to my PS4, my cans are the Sennheiser g4me One. My question is will a separate amp attached to the Mixamp help the sound quality? I do have to crank up the volume knob almost full to get the sound level I want out of the headset, but im more worried about getting the best possible sound quality from my Sennheisers. Heres a link to the headsets incase the specs matter.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/g4me-one#product_data

If adding a separate amp would help the sound quality and level what amp would work? Im a newbie when it comes to this stuff but im always picky and want the best quality out of everything I buy. Im not trying to spend alot and I really dont want a portable amp because I dont want to have to charge it constantly.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #26,088 of 48,578
Before you read on, I want you to know that I am only gaming on PS4!

I originally planned on getting HD598s but I was wondering..

Say, I bought better headphones with good bass that I could also lower with the equalizer on the 2014 mixamp from Astros (when it releases in october) to make them less bassy for better pinpoint accuracy for footsteps or etc.

Could I also get some input on headphones at that level compatible (best sound quality) with the astro mixamp?

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #26,089 of 48,578
  #stillhart thank you for your response and explanation

i have seen reviews for all of those
AKG K712 Pro i like this so much and it looks amazing but am careless am afraid to brake it Q_Q [made of plastice].
Philips Fidelio X1 i like the design but u can't change the ear-pad so won't last forever :frowning2:.
Beyerdynamic DT990 this looks ugly but got huge positive reviews and says its heavy .
Sony MA900 i like the desgin thats all dunno about the headphone

which one do u advice me to take and if its need AMP or not

& Thank you again.

Best Regards.

I love my K712 Pros, to me they are well balanced and do a better job. They need amp'd though, for me the mixamp doesn't do them justice though in my opinion so I ordered a Fiio E17 for now.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #26,090 of 48,578

No, there's no loud buzzing noise, lol.  If that were normal, nobody would buy these.

The difference in spec between the Z/ZX and the Omni is negligible.  They're almost exactly the same thing.  I wouldn't worry about spec difference.  You get all the benefits of the ZX (all your connections up top of the desk) but at a fraction of the cost.  I know price isn't an issue, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to spend more if you're not getting any benefit.  

Honestly, I'm not even sure why anyone would choose the ZX over the Omni.  

Regarding Mixamp vs Recon, they both have their pros and cons and either will be a fine choice.  Recon will work on your computer and console, but not at the same time, so that's something to consider (the potential hassle of cable swapping).

1 - No, you don't need an amp and DAC.  You may need an amp if you get headphones that are hard to drive, but since you don't have any headphones yet, that's easy to avoid.

2 - Look for headphones that rank high in the "fun" factor and read the reviews to see how comfy they are.  Pick a few that look good to you and we can maybe help narrow it down.

3 - Yes, generally speaking, the higher resistance ones sound better.  However, they're also harder to drive properly.  For example, 32ohm will sound fine from your phone, 250ohm not so good from your phone but better than the 32 from a proper source.

4 - The ZX will provide your surround sound.  You can use any headphone/headset you want once you have the ZX.

* - If you don't know if the audio module is useful, you should probably save a few bucks and get the Z instead of the ZX.

thanks for the very detailed reply.

to put my question in another way, why would anyone pick the Sound Blaster Z over the Omni then?

can't seem to find a good price on the Recon3D guess I have to just buy the Mixamp.. or make do with Stereo sound until X7 is available.
PS4 Stereo -> Sound Blaster Z/Omni -> Fidelio X1 + BoomPro should sound way better than my Sony PULSE Wireless Elite right?

would the following FiiO model work? FiiO D7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOG4O34

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #26,091 of 48,578
Before you read on, I want you to know that I am only gaming on PS4!

I originally planned on getting HD598s but I was wondering..

Say, I bought better headphones with good bass that I could also lower with the equalizer on the 2014 mixamp from Astros (when it releases in october) to make them less bassy for better pinpoint accuracy for footsteps or etc.

Could I also get some input on headphones at that level compatible (best sound quality) with the astro mixamp?

2014 Mixamp from Astros? They are only releasing a new Mixamp (M80) that is compatible with the Xbox One as far as I know. The PS4 still gets the normal 2013 pro edition, where did you read they are going to release a new Mixamp in October for the PS4? 

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #26,092 of 48,578
2014 Mixamp from Astros? They are only releasing a new Mixamp (M80) that is compatible with the Xbox One as far as I know. The PS4 still gets the normal 2013 pro edition, where did you read they are going to release a new Mixamp in October for the PS4? 

Is that a New model in tho picture or just a New look?

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #26,093 of 48,578
Hey guys.

So I just got myself a set of AKG K702's and an Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 edition last week. One problem I noticed immediately when I'd set everything up:

With the Mixamp volume turned up full, there is a somewhat quiet but still very audible and annoying hiss/static noise.

Now I don't game online and I'm not using a mic for chat, so I simply have the Game/Voice dial on the Mixamp turned all the way to the Game side.

I've tried swapping out the USB cable as suggested by some others who had audio problems with their Mixamps but this made no difference.  I've tested the unit with my other headphones but the noise is still present.

I've even tried turning the main volume knob to half way.  Doing so greatly reduces the noise but then the overall volume is too quiet to actually play a game.  I even tried using a FiiO E12 to increase the volume that way but I knew this was a desperate play, obviously the noise was just amplified as well.

I've been discussing the issue with Astro customer support and they've told me that the hissing/white noise is present on every Astro Mixamp when volume is turned up to 3/4 full and above. 

Has anybody else experienced any issues like this on their Mixamp?

Cheers

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #26,094 of 48,578
Everyone lives with that issue.

U must turn all volumes on games, consoles to highest. ....so u can lower on Mixamp. I know is a bit annoying on first times, but u must try forget that and live with it.

The static noise comes from optical port, if u take the cable most of static is gone. ....If oldest mixamp don't have this issue for sure the problem is on new optical port they put on 2013 model.

I have too AKG702 and I must said, they are amazing for gaming and watching movies.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #26,095 of 48,578
I agree the K702's sound amazing with games, and I'm very impressed with the virtual surround that the Mixamp provides, but I'm disappointed with the white noise issue.  Absolutely no call for that on a unit that costs £120. 

I suppose I could try getting used to it as you say, but then I could also return the unit and get a refund and try buying another surround processor such as the Recon3D.  I don't use a mic at all so I won't be needing a separate amp to drive the K702's if I do get the Recon3D.

Anybody encountered any issues similar to the Mixamp hissing noise while using a Recon3d?

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #26,097 of 48,578
Anyone knows how soundblaster Recon3D mix the game and chat audio, works likes mixamp? Can I control in the device how much audio goes to game and chat? Or is a fixed value setting on PC?

Thx

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #26,098 of 48,578
Anyone knows how soundblaster Recon3D mix the game and chat audio, works likes mixamp? Can I control in the device how much audio goes to game and chat? Or is a fixed value setting on PC?

Thx

There is no control over the Voice/Game audio level with the Recon3D afaik.  This is one of the main difference between this device and the Astro Mixamp. 

Stillhart points this this 3 or 4 pages ago if you want to have a look at his post.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #26,099 of 48,578
I agree the K702's sound amazing with games, and I'm very impressed with the virtual surround that the Mixamp provides, but I'm disappointed with the white noise issue.  Absolutely no call for that on a unit that costs £120. 

I suppose I could try getting used to it as you say, but then I could also return the unit and get a refund and try buying another surround processor such as the Recon3D.  I don't use a mic at all so I won't be needing a separate amp to drive the K702's if I do get the Recon3D.

Anybody encountered any issues similar to the Mixamp hissing noise while using a Recon3d?

When you obtain the recon3d, could to quote me about how good the quality is compared to the mixamp? Sound quality and response and virtual surround

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #26,100 of 48,578
The mixamp is definitely noisy. It's one of the drawbacks of the unit. It's got a weak amp and it's noisy/hissy. With anything playing through it, you won't notice though.

The recon is much better in that respect. It doesn't have the background hiss. If you're not chatting, the volume will be fine on the 702.

The pros and cons of the recon vs the mixamp have been discussed many many times. I posted a link to a great comparison video a couple pages back. Go do some more reading.

I spoke with the astro guys at pax and they confirmed that the new model is just visual. All internals will be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back