Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #23,521 of 48,578
God I love their names.

Questions about some stuff that's been floating around:

2. As for sound cards, I read some opinions that they make absolutely no difference over plugging headphones directly into the onboard audio (as long as you plug headphones into the motherboard directly rather than the front), and all they do is add output impedance.

Have you been watching TekSyndicate?

yes, the Omni acts as a processor only, nothing more, nothing less.

Almost... It is also acting as a USB to Optical converter, and I believe the mic could still be used.

May 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #23,522 of 48,578
Just a quick update for the Vmoda BoomPro Headphone Compatibility List.

I am able to use the Vmoda's with the Martin Logan Mikros 90.  Tested on my desktop and laptop using Mumble, and on my phone with calls.
Once @Zombie_X has the mini XLR to 3.5mm adapter ready, I look forward to using with my K712's as well 
L3000.gif

Vmoda BoomPro Headphone Compatibility List:
This list will be updated and may be changed. Currently, this is only a list of headphones I know that are capable of being used with the Vmoda BoomPro, not a list of recommendations.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Focal Spirit Pro, Classic (need confirmation)
M-Audio Q40
Monster DNA On Ear, DNA Pro
MrSpeakers Mad Dog (single ended version)
NAD Viso HP50
Nuforce HP800
Philips Fidelio X1
Skullcandy Aviator
Vmoda LP2, M80, M100, XS

May 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #23,523 of 48,578
Almost... It is also acting as a USB to Optical converter, and I believe the mic could still be used.

TekSyndicate is good IMO.
I enjoy watching it even though I am mostly a console guy... Logan & Wendel :D

May 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #23,524 of 48,578

That is true, it's not warmth that separates tubes from solid state. Tubes do have a different sound though. Best way to describe tubes is that tubes have a more analog sound. Cheaper tubes can be a bit wooly like you said. And some tubes are extremely transparent and very clear sounding with sparkle but also sweet and smooth sounding.

I don't understand: I thought the whole point of modern SS amps was to reduce output impedance and power consumption and ultimately to affect the sound as little as possible. If you need a tube amp to tame the highs of a particular headphone (because the unaltered sound as the developers intended would be too harsh), doesn't that mean that you should just get a different headphone? I can see how a tube amp can a) subtract sound through impedance and b) colour sound... but what can it positively contribute?
Not meaning to be judgemental at all, I'm just confused what they add over SS amps.

That's the analog sound. The sound has a certain body, depth, and roundness that I just haven't heard on a SS amp. The closer sounding something is to analog the more natural and real it sounds. I've heard a full analog system, it's so real and smooth sounding with the best soundstage I have ever heard. It was the closest I have ever heard music to the real thing on a headphone. I can't really use SS amps anymore for gaming because the soundstage doesn't sound right.

I know how that is. When I switched to my Siemens 6AK5W tubes a while ago the sound became so smooth, clear, and transparent.

Why should accurate uncolouring digital conversion make the sound less real?

Yes.

OK so in summary, if I want to listen to game audio from a PS3/PS4 and music from PC, what do I need?
From PS3: no USB audio output, so no DAC, and a Magni/Vali doesn't have optical input (why on earth not) so I have to use component wires (is that lower quality than optical?).
For PS4: is a DAC and amp a good idea there?
For PC: even if you guys like sound cards, if I use a DAC + amp then I don't need a sound card, right? So why do people use sound cards (even if it is superior to onboard audio, is it superior to DAC+amp)?

May 3, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #23,525 of 48,578
TekSyndicate is good IMO.
I enjoy watching it even though I am mostly a console guy... Logan & Wendel :D

I only saw the one episode about soundcards... It was a bit like watching Bill O'Reilly, except there was nobody to provide a counterpoint (and talk over).

I don't understand: I thought the whole point of modern SS amps was to reduce output impedance and power consumption and ultimately to affect the sound as little as possible. If you need a tube amp to tame the highs of a particular headphone (because the unaltered sound as the developers intended would be too harsh), doesn't that mean that you should just get a different headphone? I can see how a tube amp can a) subtract sound through impedance and b) colour sound... but what can it positively contribute?

OK so in summary, if I want to listen to game audio from a PS3/PS4 and music from PC, what do I need?
From PS3: no USB audio output, so no DAC, and a Magni/Vali doesn't have optical input (why on earth not) so I have to use component wires (is that lower quality than optical?).
For PC: even if you guys like sound cards, if I use a DAC + amp then I don't need a sound card, right? So why do people use sound cards (even if it is superior to onboard audio, is it superior to DAC+amp)?

For consoles, the surround processors are also DACs (digital to analogue). Amps only provide the power for analogue signals. The Magni and Vali are amps... that's why they don't have digital inputs.

Soundcards are a step up in DAC quality and amping power compared to motherboards (the best motherboard integrated sound components are still noisier and less powerful than an entry-level card like an Asus Xonar DGS or Creative Soundblaster Z/Omni), and they also offer headphone surround processing. Motherboards are getting more capable and often are good enough to get by (used to be you had to add a soundcard to get audio AT ALL), and a dedicated headphone gear will still be another step up from soundcards, but soundcards still have their place and are convenient all-in-one solutions.

May 3, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #23,526 of 48,578
I only saw the one episode about soundcards... It was a bit like watching Bill O'Reilly, except there was nobody to provide a counterpoint (and talk over).
For consoles, the surround processors are also DACs (digital to analogue). Amps only provide the power for analogue signals. The Magni and Vali are amps... that's why they don't have digital inputs.

Soundcards are a step up in DAC quality and amping power compared to motherboards (the best motherboard integrated sound components are still noisier and less powerful than an entry-level card like an Asus Xonar DGS or Creative Soundblaster Z/Omni), and they also offer headphone surround processing. Motherboards are getting more capable and often are good enough to get by (used to be you had to add a soundcard to get audio AT ALL), and a dedicated headphone gear will still be another step up from soundcards, but soundcards still have their place and are convenient all-in-one solutions.

Stop changing the subject..what was in the packages? or is it a bit of a touchy subject!

May 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #23,527 of 48,578

Stop changing the subject..what was in the packages? or is it a bit of a touchy subject!

Guys, the more you ask... the more you stroke his ego....

The big package contains his K712 and my K612. My guess is the other package contains a Bifrost that was for sale in the classifieds, and is no longer there...

tongue.gif

May 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #23,529 of 48,578
Not meaning to be judgemental at all, I'm just confused what they add over SS amps.

Why should accurate uncolouring digital conversion make the sound less real?

Yes.

You're missing out on a MAJOR factor: surround processing. It's why we use things like the mixamp and the omni.

If you want surround from your console, get a mixanp or recon and work from there.

If you ONLY want to listen to music from your PC, get a USB DAC and an amp (or a combo) and skip the sound card.

If you game on your PC, you need a sound card for surround processing. All sound cards are amp and DAC too, you can start with that and then expand over time. Add an amp and then a DAC if you feel the need to upgrade.

May 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #23,530 of 48,578
I've not got a separate DAC or amp so am unable to test for myself, and the documentation for the Omni isn't the most comprehensive. So my question is, what connection out of the Omni do you use to bypass the DAC and amp? Do you use the line level speaker output? The reason I ask is because it seems to be intended as a speaker output. Therefore I wouldn't have necessarily expected it to carry the virtual surround signal, but instead bypass the headphone processing and send a standard stereo signal. Unless you guys have only been using it with DAC's and amps with optical inputs.

Can someone explain this to me please.

May 4, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #23,531 of 48,578
I just ordered up the Omni and the Vali. The Vali should be here in around 4 days and the Omni in 3-11 days. Hopefully these make the K712 worth keeping! 
biggrin.gif

I had to pay $100 CAD for the Omni and.... *gulp* $170 CAD for the Vali. Darn those international shipping rates!

I sure hope that I will be in audio heaven when I combine the Omni, Vali and K712!

May 4, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #23,532 of 48,578
  I've not got a separate DAC or amp so am unable to test for myself, and the documentation for the Omni isn't the most comprehensive. So my question is, what connection out of the Omni do you use to bypass the DAC and amp? Do you use the line level speaker output? The reason I ask is because it seems to be intended as a speaker output. Therefore I wouldn't have necessarily expected it to carry the virtual surround signal, but instead bypass the headphone processing and send a standard stereo signal. Unless you guys have only been using it with DAC's and amps with optical inputs.

Can someone explain this to me please.

If you want to use just an amp, use the RCA outs from the Omni to the amp.

If you want to use a DAC and an Amp, you MUST use the optical out into an optical DAC, then RCA from DAC to Amp.

Once you're using speaker outputs, it's already been converted to analogue.  The optical output is the only way to get a digital signal to the DAC for conversion.

May 4, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #23,533 of 48,578

If you want to use just an amp, use the RCA outs from the Omni to the amp.

If you want to use a DAC and an Amp, you MUST use the optical out into an optical DAC, then RCA from DAC to Amp.

Once you're using speaker outputs, it's already been converted to analogue.  The optical output is the only way to get a digital signal to the DAC for conversion.

I've just realised how silly the DAC part of my question was. But does the surround processing get sent via the RCA outs (and just to confirm, you do mean the RCA speaker outs right?). I've become interested in the prospect of a tube amp and am just getting it clear in my head how everything goes together. Thanks :)

May 4, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #23,534 of 48,578
  I've just realised how silly the DAC part of my question was. But does the surround processing get sent via the RCA outs (and just to confirm, you do mean the RCA speaker outs right?). I've become interested in the prospect of a tube amp and am just getting it clear in my head how everything goes together. Thanks :)

Yes, of course, the surround processing goes through all the outputs.  I'm not sure how the RCA ports are labeled but they're the only ones on there.  Generally on most devices, the RCA output is line-level out (since it's usually going to an amp from there).

May 4, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #23,535 of 48,578

Yes, of course, the surround processing goes through all the outputs.  I'm not sure how the RCA ports are labeled but they're the only ones on there.  Generally on most devices, the RCA output is line-level out (since it's usually going to an amp from there).

That's great, thank you.

I just wanted to be sure because in my research over the last year I have heard of instances in some equipment where certain outputs do not carry processed signals. I cannot recall what piece of equipment it was and in what usage context, but I'm suspecting it was a pass-through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back