Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 17, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #22,996 of 48,566
Okay. So with my Astro Mixamp 2013 and the e12, I should be able to drive them well? Also, if and when I get the K712 as well as a separate mic (at least until Zombie_X gets his adapter up for sale), would I be able to run the mic input through the amp or will I have to plug that in seperately via a splitter from the Mixamp? Gosh... the K712+Fiio E12 is gonna be over $500... I'd hate to ask these questions and then go back to the X1...

I'd rather you make a purchase well-informed so I don't feel like a dbag for steering you towards a $400 headphone that won't sound great.

Not sure about your questions with the Mixamp as I don't have one.  Which console are you using again?

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #22,997 of 48,566
Okay. So with my Astro Mixamp 2013 and the e12, I should be able to drive them well? Also, if and when I get the K712 as well as a separate mic (at least until Zombie_X gets his adapter up for sale), would I be able to run the mic input through the amp or will I have to plug that in seperately via a splitter from the Mixamp? Gosh... the K712+Fiio E12 is gonna be over $500... I'd hate to ask these questions and then go back to the X1...

The E12 (on high gain) is what I use with my K612, which is harder to drive than the K712. To use chat with a seperate mic, you'll need to use the y-splitter that comes with the Mixamp. It's explained on the first page how to double amp it while still using chat (with a seperate mic, of course)...

When you get the BoomPro, you'll need an additional y-splitter that splits into two female ends. You plug the BoomPro into that, connect green (audio) to the E12, and red (VoiP) to red (VoiP) from the other splitter coming out of the mixamp.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #22,998 of 48,566
The E12 (on high gain) is what I use with my K612, which is harder to drive than the K712. To use chat with a seperate mic, you'll need to use the y-splitter that comes with the Mixamp. It's explained on the first page...

My apologies for asking that question. I was never considering an amp when I read the thread so I must've skipped that part :p

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #22,999 of 48,566
My apologies for asking that question. I was never considering an amp when I read the thread so I must've skipped that part
tongue.gif

Check my edit for how to use it with the BoomPro when double amping, should you decide to get one.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #23,000 of 48,566
I'd rather you make a purchase well-informed so I don't feel like a dbag for steering you towards a $400 headphone that won't sound great.

Not sure about your questions with the Mixamp as I don't have one.  Which console are you using again?

I definitely appreciate that you are helping me make an educated choice. The issue is that its either the X1+Boom Pro for $330 with no amp needed or the K712+Seperate mic+E12 for well over $500. Huge price difference there and I'm getting uneasy now that the price could be increasing rapidly. I'm using PS4 and Xbox 360 by the way.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #23,001 of 48,566
I definitely appreciate that you are helping me make an educated choice. The issue is that its either the X1+Boom Pro for $330 with no amp needed or the K712+Seperate mic+E12 for well over $500. Huge price difference there and I'm getting uneasy now that the price could be increasing rapidly. I'm using PS4 and Xbox 360 by the way.

Hmmm.... and the fact that you live outside the US will make it just as expensive going with the Q707/K702 w/ K712 pads. AKG's parts department in other countries have some jacked up prices.

Let me ask you this question. Does the cable need to be detachable? And is the BoomPro really necessary?

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #23,003 of 48,566

Well to be fair, the K712+E12 is going to sound a LOT better for music.  It's probably not worth the money just for gaming...

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #23,004 of 48,566
Hey guys, do any of you, use either Asus Xonar U3 or a Creative Soundblaster Omni.? And if so, which one is best for gaming? I play tons of Borderlands-2, And other FPS. Thanks.

I have an Omni and it works great.  Don't know how it compares to anything else, TBH.  You might try asking in the Nameless guide to PC gaming.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #23,005 of 48,566
Hey guys, do any of you, use either Asus Xonar U3 or a Creative Soundblaster Omni.? And if so, which one is best for gaming? I play tons of Borderlands-2, And other FPS. Thanks.

As always, you're going to want to watch the videos with the different surround processing and pick your favorite. Unless you NEED an external solution, an internal solution would work as well. The X-fi Titanium might be best if you like CMSS-3D and want EAX support for older games. 

Missed the part where he said this was for a laptop. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #23,007 of 48,566
Hi guys, please help me... i need a wireless headset with virtual surround for gaming on pc (connected to my TV) and in the future probably a ps4, but i can't decide...

When i'm using my "portable" mini-ITX pc in my room i use a Xonar U3 and HD598, for music i use Fiio X3 and HD598 and now i need a wireless headset with mic when i use my PC in the living room (80% of the time)

My budged is around 300 euros, what is the best option?

Thanks to anyone that will help!

P.S. just an info... i feel the HD598 a little inadequate with basses for gaming!

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #23,008 of 48,566

@kh600rr I've used the Asus Xonar U3 and been using the U7 on my Clevo based laptop (same base laptop as your Sager) for the past 3 months.

Thoroughly enjoy both Xonar products after using the onboard sound for 6 months.

Haven't had the opportunity to compare Asus vs Soundblaster.  And other than my natural curiosity to hear the difference between the two, I haven't felt the "need" to search for another solution.

Primarily used nightly to play FPS, MMOs, movies, and music :D

For reference my current set up is laptop --> Xonar U7 --> AKG K712 Pro.

Only thing I feel I need to try next is an amp and dac.  No desire for a new / different surround sound processing option.

.... at least till the next new shiny surround sound processor is released! ;->

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #23,009 of 48,566
The only thing about the K712... It's at least like $130 more than the Q701, new. The sound is more refined and also easier on the ears, but by itself the change is too slight to justify the price difference from a Q701. For me, it's a keeper though due to the headband, comfort, I like the coiled cable to keep tidy at shorter distances, less fatigue when plugged straight into underpowered devices (iPhone, Mixamp) – it adds up, maybe a bit less than the price still BUT it saves me from having to mod and get amp-picky. It's the best AKG in my opinion, but won't change the world for Q701 owners.

Personally, that extra $130 for the K712 (or K702.65 in my case) over the Q701 was worth every penny to me.  I tried the Q701 in the store and took it off in 1 minute it was so uncomfortable, due to both the bumpy headband and stiff ear pads.  I looked for Q701 mods on head-fi and it would be $60 for the memory foam pads from the Annies and another $50-60 for the flat head-band from the K602 or something, plus shipping to Canada, plus modding time (since the headband replacement is NOT an easy process) and the $130 more for the K712/K702.65 is downright reasonable.  Actually, the K712 is a better deal because it includes 2 cables, the standard long straight and shorter coiled.  I ended up buying the AKG coiled cable for $40 for my Annies afterwards.  If it K712 was within $40 of the Annies when I bought mine, I would have got the K712. 

Just to throw in another wrench into your decision making process, if you decide on the K712 and you don't need a portable amp, consider a desktop amp instead, like a Fiio E09K, JDS Labs O2, Schiit Magni or Vali, all of these are $100-130USD+shipping.  Lithium ion batteries have a finite lifespan and when it dies, who knows whether the manufacturer still has a supply of replacements.  If you go with an AC powered desktop amp, that is not a worry, except for maybe a faulty AC adapter (happened to my 1st Fiio E09k).

I'll re-iterate what others have said, you will need a powerful amp to drive the K712 properly.  When I first got my K702 Annies (also from razordogaudio.com, for a tiny bit less than what you're looking at for the K712) I was driving them from a Fiio E17 and thought that sounded great upgrading from an ATH-AD700.  Then I drove them from an Audioengine D1 (which was actually under-driving them even more than the E17), THEN I finally got a Fiio E09k and WOW... I didn't realize how good the Annies could sound, almost like a new pair of headphones.  Then I got an Asgard 2 (upgrade-itus) and it was only marginally better than the E09k.

I'd say if you can afford the K712 complete setup without going into undue debt then go for it.  It *should* reduce the temptation of you buying all the lesser headphones until you decide to buck up and upgrade to $1,000+ headphone territory.

If I was to do it over again now from my ATH-AD700, I would jump right to the K712 + E09K and call it a day.  The K712/K702.65 Annies are super comfortable (compared to the head torture device that is the Q701).  I would not consider the Philips X1 at all because of the non-replaceable ear pads and poor customer service/support (search head-fi for "fidelio L1 service"), and good luck trying to get even that crappy service in Canada.  That and the boomier bass of the X1.  I really like the more flat/neutral response curve of the Annies.  I've heard stuff with a more U-shaped curves like ATH-M50, DT880 premium, M-80 and I don't like the boomy bass and sharp treble.  The K712 has replaceable ear pads and comes with 2 cables (I bought an extra coiled cable for my Annies).  If you need chat capability, add the V-moda BoomPro and Zombie_X's soon to be released adapter, which I'll probably get a couple of, one as a spare or a future AKG headphone.  =P  That should keep you set for years for music and gaming.  I'm mostly music and PC gaming but I did try my Annies with a Turtle Beach ACU and XBox360 (from the TB PX5 set I bought before discovering head-fi) and it really, really needs an amp to make them sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back