Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 17, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #22,966 of 48,566
Anyone know of a good male 3.5mm to female 1/4 cable adapter? (for hooking up a headphone with 1/4 plug to the Astro Mixamp which has a 3.5mm connector).

It should be cheap but good quality... not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on a little piece of cable lol. I want to go with a very short cable version over the hard adapters to reduce strain on the 3.5mm port.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #22,967 of 48,566
Get a Grado one or a Sennheiser one. I believe both are sold on Amazon. I have the Grado one. It's excellent.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #22,968 of 48,566
Great review of the K712 Pro and the K612 Pro. I have always used IEM's  and close headphones and the K712 will be my first open ones. I'm even more excited now that I've read your review and cannot wait till they arrive!

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #22,970 of 48,566
Hey MLE, if I could make a suggestion?  I'd love to see the top 10 lists updated with the new headphones you've reviewed (as well as possibly noting which are discontinued and which price ranges the headphones fall into).  I used those lists a lot when making my decision and there was a lot of cruft to sort through.

I'm definitely curious to see an updated list with the K712 and K612 to see where you rate them relatively speaking.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #22,971 of 48,566
Get a Grado one or a Sennheiser one. I believe both are sold on Amazon. I have the Grado one. It's excellent.

Agree. I use it for the TH-900 and the Mixamp and it works flawless. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #22,972 of 48,566
Stillhart,
I'd wager that the K612 fills the void left by the MA900's price escalation, and the K712 is basically right with the limited-edition Annies as a top-choice for an all-arounder, especially since Zombie_X is pretty much ready to sell AKG adapters to allow the use of the BoomPro cable.

The only thing about the K712... It's at least like $130 more than the Q701, new. The sound is more refined and also easier on the ears, but by itself the change is too slight to justify the price difference from a Q701. For me, it's a keeper though due to the headband, comfort, I like the coiled cable to keep tidy at shorter distances, less fatigue when plugged straight into underpowered devices (iPhone, Mixamp) – it adds up, maybe a bit less than the price still BUT it saves me from having to mod and get amp-picky. It's the best AKG in my opinion, but won't change the world for Q701 owners.

How's that M-Stage treating ya?

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #22,973 of 48,566
I'd wager that the K612 fills the void left by the MA900's price escalation, and the K712 is basically right with the limited-edition Annies as a top-choice for an all-arounder, especially since Zombie_X is pretty much ready to sell AKG adapters to allow the use of the BoomPro cable.

The only thing about the K712... It's at least like $130 more than the Q701, new. The sound is more refined and also easier on the ears, but by itself the change is too slight to justify the price difference from a Q701. For me, it's a keeper though due to the headband, comfort, I like the coiled cable to keep tidy at shorter distances, less fatigue when plugged straight into underpowered devices (iPhone, Mixamp) – it adds up, maybe a bit less than the price still BUT it saves me from having to mod and get amp-picky. It's the best AKG in my opinion, but won't change the world for Q701 owners.

Who's that aimed at?
Does MLE have one?

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #22,974 of 48,566
Apr 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #22,976 of 48,566
Hey peeps, was wondering if there was anything,I could do to improve, my SQ, with my games. I play all the regulars, BF,COD, Borderlands -2. Now, don't call me a idiot, but I mostly use, HD-800, hooked to a AK-240, or a Nuforce icon HDP. Also , use IE-800. Overkill, I know. Is there any software, that could boost, my imagining. Or placement, of game sound? Or maybe, this isn't a good gaming setup. I run a Sager Laptop. Thanks Guys.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #22,977 of 48,566

Well I was out of town from Friday through Tuesday so I haven't had a ton of time with it yet.  I will tell you one thing though:  every single night I've been home since I had it, I haven't touched a video game.  I've spent all evening listening to music while ripping my old CD's to FLAC.  Well worth the money with the Q701, it really cranked up the sound a notch.  I'm extremely happy with my current music setup!

I'm still trying to get my Xbox audio setup dialed in though.  I'm having issues with the damn thing automatically deciding when to put my chat audio through the controller vs speakers.  I still can't figure out why it's not an OPTION on the Xbone when it was on the 360.  It's really starting to piss me off.  I want to run my Recon through my AVR to amp the sound and then just plug my mic right into the controller, but if I do that, the Xbox puts my chat audio through the controller too. 
angry_face.gif

I may have to cave and buy a E09/11/12 for the Xbox setup. 
frown.gif

Beyond that, I bought a  Sansa Clip Zip from BB on sale for $20 and Rockboxed it.  Now I'm looking for a nice set of portables.  Leaning towards the AKG K545 right now since I want an over-ear.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #22,978 of 48,566
Stillhart,
That's Good news!
I haven't been streaming much cuz I've been playing Co-op with my roommate on the 360.
I'm surprised at the step back on the XBone, but then again... not really. I also don't know why buying a FiiO would solve your chat problems? And is it too hard to relocate your M-Stage between the TV and your listening area?

Who's that aimed at?
Does MLE have one?

Stillie, sorry not you, HOWEVER I publicly posted those thoughts because I suspect many would like to get an idea of ranking hierarchy. So... sorta for you too?

Hey peeps, was wondering if there was anything,I could do to improve, my SQ, with my games. I play all the regulars, BF,COD, Borderlands -2. Now, don't call me a idiot, but I mostly use, HD-800, hooked to a AK-240, or a Nuforce icon HDP. Also , use IE-800. Overkill, I know. Is there any software, that could boost, my imagining. Or placement, of game sound? Or maybe, this isn't a good gaming setup. I run a Sager Laptop. Thanks Guys.

Honestly you have a better setup than me, lol! However, nothing in that setup (AFAIK, I know nothing about Sager and their features) processes virtual surround for headphones.

I assume you are a PC gamer from your DAC selection? If one of your DACs have optical input, you could actually get a cheap device to do the processing (which is the same processing through any product range) and digitally output the processed stereo to your high-end equipment unmolested by cheap analogue conversion. The two models I most recommend for that with optical-out would be an Asus Xonar U3 or a Creative Soundblaster Omni.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #22,979 of 48,566
Stillhart,
That's Good news!
I haven't been streaming much cuz I've been playing Co-op with my roommate on the 360.
I'm surprised at the step back on the XBone, but then again... not really. I also don't know why buying a FiiO would solve your chat problems? And is it too hard to relocate your M-Stage between the TV and your listening area?

The Fiio would solve my chat problems because I'd use it to amp the Recon (rather than my AVR) and just continue to use the extension cable thingy that came with the Recon, which seems to work well consistently.  Most of the issue I've had were when I tried to bypass the ribbon cable.  I will need to do more testing, as I had a new idea about using a 4-pole Y cable with just the mic hooked up to see if that solves the issue.

As to moving the M-stage, yeah too much of a PITA.  It's big and heavy and uses a big power cable and RCA inputs and swapping that back and forth makes my lazy-bone hurt.  I'd rather spend $40 on a used E11 and forget about it.

At the end of the day, I really want to keep the amount of cable clutter and confusion in front of my TV to a minimum.  I have a 1.5-year-old running around the house; I've got him well trained to stay away from the AV equipment but a rats nest of cables in front of the TV could prove to be too tempting.  Also, want to avoid wife aggro.  :-D

Maybe if you ever get that 5.8 back I'll bug you to borrow it and see if that helps...

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #22,980 of 48,566
The two models I most recommend for that with optical-out would be an Asus Xonar U3 or a Creative Soundblaster Omni.

Additionally, any sound card with the surround processing you want and an optical line out will work too. The X-fi Titanium, Xonar DG/DGX, and Sound Blaster Z would be the most recommended for that. 

Missed the part where he said it was for a laptop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back