Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #22,922 of 48,578
I am not sure you want something that has built in noise cancelation. Unless you can switch it off :wink:
On paper, the device seems good.
Depends if you like the provided headphone surround technology.

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #22,927 of 48,578
ThunderFX is a external sound card/amplifier. You can connect the xbox 360 as well as a ps3. That Recon thing you posted costs 150$ in Canada without taxes lol what a rip-off.

That thunderFX looks interesting to me, but this is the first time I'm hearing about it. We here have been hoping for better devices, but the recon3D is about par price for similar devices in the US.
http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-recon3d

I would make sure that the thunderFX can process headphone surround (like directional, not just "a feeling of space"), and make doubly sure it can decode Dolby Digital Live 5.1 audio from an optical input (consoles). Usually soundcards CANNOT decode a "true" 5.1 or 7.1 surround signal from a console (the Recon3D USB was an exception) because of licensing and copyright protection issues.

Just be sure what you're getting before dropping the Canadian Dollars on it.

Edit: the Thunder FX only has analogue (and USB) audio inputs, so it could not process surround from a console (just "enhanced" surround, not the same thing as Dolby Headphone or THX TrueStudio Pro).

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #22,928 of 48,578
Eeeewwwww, forget about the ThunderFX.

http://rog.asus.com/131532012/maximus-motherboards/what-is-the-thunderfx/

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #22,929 of 48,578
That thunderFX looks interesting to me, but this is the first time I'm hearing about it. We here have been hoping for better devices, but the recon3D is about par price for similar devices in the US.

I would make sure that the thunderFX can process headphone surround (like directional, not just "a feeling of space"), and make doubly sure it can decode Dolby Digital Live 5.1 audio from an optical input (consoles). Usually soundcards CANNOT decode a "true" 5.1 or 7.1 surround signal from a console (the Recon3D USB was an exception) because of licensing and copyright protection issues.

Just be sure what you're getting before dropping the Canadian Dollars on it.

Edit: the Thunder FX only has analogue (and USB) audio inputs, so it could not process surround from a console (just "enhanced" surround, not the same thing as Dolby Headphone or THX TrueStudio Pro).

You are using alien language to me
tongue_smile.gif
. All I understood is 5.1 and 7.1. I know the word analog but I have no idea how it works. You mean that the consoles have 5.1 audio? Does that not depend on the game and how the audio was coded? Or is all audio for all games on consoles the same? And how is that helping me since my headphones are stereo? Would that not be "fake" 5.1 or 7.1 from the consoles through my headset?

So forget the ThunderFX and get the Recon usb thingy? How does it compare to the 3 mixamp versions and the 2 dss?

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #22,931 of 48,578
You are using alien language to me :tongue_smile: . All I understood is 5.1 and 7.1. I know the word analog but I have no idea how it works. You mean that the consoles have 5.1 audio? Does that not depend on the game and how the audio was coded? Or is all audio for all games on consoles the same? And how is that helping me since my headphones are stereo? Would that not be "fake" 5.1 or 7.1 from the consoles through my headset?

So forget the ThunderFX and get the Recon usb thingy? How does it compare to the 3 mixamp versions and the 2 dss?

The whole topic of this thread is virtual surround for stereo headphones, and headphones that work well with that audio processing. Rather than retype an explanation again (already have 100s of times in the past), I'll point out that Mad explained it in the first post of this guide thread, and that I explained it in more detail in my "If I knew then..." thread linked in my signature.

We get the same questions often about comparing those processors you mentioned, so I'm making a video comparing them and their setups, which I will post after I get my Mixamp returned around the 23rd.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #22,932 of 48,578
The whole topic of this thread is virtual surround for stereo headphones, and headphones that work well with that audio processing. Rather than retype an explanation again (already have 100s of times in the past), I'll point out that Mad explained it in the first post of this guide thread, and that I explained it in more detail in my "If I knew then..." thread linked in my signature.

We get the same questions often about comparing those processors you mentioned, so I'm making a video comparing them and their setups, which I will post after I get my Mixamp returned around the 23rd.

I'd like to thank you in advance, on behalf of everyone, for taking the time to do that video. I am sure many of us who have no knowledge on audio will benefit from that video the most. If I may, please do not forget to also compare how good the mic works on those devices, as I've read that the new MixAmp pro 2013 combines the chat with the audio, so the result is worse audio and chat strength (maybe that was solved with firmware updates idk, I guess you will find out
biggrin.gif
). Also, I finish my finals on the 25th and I have 15 days of vacation, so I'll be sure to watch that video and make an informed purchase decision
beyersmile.png

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #22,933 of 48,578
Those videos will be good even for us who know a thing or two.
I'll be looking forward to them too :wink:

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #22,935 of 48,578
I'd like to thank you in advance, on behalf of everyone, for taking the time to do that video. I am sure many of us who have no knowledge on audio will benefit from that video the most. If I may, please do not forget to also compare how good the mic works on those devices, as I've read that the new MixAmp pro 2013 combines the chat with the audio, so the result is worse audio and chat strength (maybe that was solved with firmware updates idk, I guess you will find out :D ). Also, I finish my finals on the 25th and I have 15 days of vacation, so I'll be sure to watch that video and make an informed purchase decision :beyersmile: .

I don't have a Mixamp 2013... I have one of the Mixamp 5.8 (the "wireless" version, mostly the same functions just has the wireless bit.

Also, I use a lapel mic, a cheap but good thing that I got in a 3 pack for $4.50 shipped (US$) from Amazon. You guys will see any adapters I use (or don't use).

Those videos will be good even for us who know a thing or two.
I'll be looking forward to them too :wink:

Oh great, now he's actually got to DO it!

IKR?
The main purpose is to show how various processing devices could be set up... some people can't picture it or understand what each link in the chain does. And then I was gonna add a short blurb about what the major pro/con of each device is.

Hope I don't get made fun of for having a bunch of devices that essentially do the same thing (minor feature differences).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back