Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 12, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #22,861 of 48,562
Nameless, I also wish TrueAudio was a stand-alone thing or also available to NVIDIA users (like me).
The PS4 may be the only platform with both PhysX and TrueAudio... But maybe it'll set enough of a precedent and demand for what we gamers, who also appreciate audio, all would like to have.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #22,862 of 48,562
  Hi everyone,

After reading some posts and asking some of my own questions and getting very useful answers, I think I'm going to make my first foray into DH audio cheaply at first, with a DSS 1 amp and a Superlux HD668b, and then upgrade later to a K612,K712,Q701,X1, or… ???

Questions: 1. why is a Mixamp so much more expensive than a DSS 1? Is it superior audio, or is it the ability to handle voice audio well? I do not care about in game chat at all. Mixamp is like at least $105 used, DSS 1 is $30, DSS 2 is like $65.

2. MLE quoted a 1/8 rule for impedance. The Superlux HD668b is 56 ohms (while the identical Samson SR850 is 32 ohms, what's with that?) so does that mean the DSS 1 amp, whose impedance *I cannot find online* but is probably more than 10 ohms, would be unsuitable?

3. I want to start budget. So…. HD668b, SR850, or EVO 681?

1. Because, brand. Astro products are never cheap. Obviously, the Mixamp comes with the addition of using a mic, the DSS/DSS2 doesn't have that ability. The Mixamp also amps better than the DSS. Part of the reason why the DSS is so cheap because it's already discontinued. What you find on eBay may not even be "new", despite sellers saying it is.

2. Omg. Not the impedance thing again. It's not a big deal and the HD668b aren't sensitive headphones to begin with. It sounded fine to me on the DSS.

3. HD668b and SR850 are basically the same headphones with different branding/colors. I personally like the EVO 681 more as I found the 668b to be too bright for my liking, there isn't a huge significant difference between them though.

Some SRH1540s are being sold in the classifieds... for a good price, too... though that was their Black Friday price from a few places in November.

Edit: have you guys read the HP100 review on the front page? Y'all sleepin' on SoundMAGIC...

Man, SoundMagic has been making some great cheap products for a while. Still using their E10 IEM, you will not believe how good it sounds for $30.

That graph looks remarkably similar to the X1s... intredasting. Too bad the 1540 is so expensive. Looks like an ideal closed headphone otherwise.

Too bad at that price, I'd rather jump on the HE-560.

Nameless, I also wish TrueAudio was a stand-alone thing or also available to NVIDIA users (like me).
The PS4 may be the only platform with both PhysX and TrueAudio... But maybe it'll set enough of a precedent and demand for what we gamers, who also appreciate audio, all would like to have.

Perhaps if AMD and Nvidia could shake hands (pfft never!)... you know, like Nvidia offering PhysX to AMD in a proper situation and AMD could do the same for TrueAudio? This rift isn't helping gamers to be honest.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #22,863 of 48,562
I got around to testing the mixamp pro + e12 amp + mmx-300, and must say it is a glorious combo. Not a night and day difference, but enough to make me not want to play without the e12. The soundstage seems extended out ALOT further, and the lows hit harder.  I dont think sound from a gaming headset can get much better.

Just ordered a pair of  brand new ath-a900x's for 75 bucks, and ill let everyone shortly how they compare to the mmx-300's. 

My thought process is that if the ath-a900x's are better then the mmx's, then I will get the new Audio Technica ATH-AG1 Gaming headset right when it comes out in the US. Otherwise i am sticking with the beyerdynamics. :) I will report back!

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #22,865 of 48,562
Isn't the MMX300 a DT770 with a mic? Most Beyerdynamics always benefit from an amp.

60% of the time, it works every time....: http://youtu.be/pjvQFtlNQ-M

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #22,866 of 48,562

1. Because, brand. Astro products are never cheap. Obviously, the Mixamp comes with the addition of using a mic, the DSS/DSS2 doesn't have that ability. The Mixamp also amps better than the DSS. Part of the reason why the DSS is so cheap because it's already discontinued. What you find on eBay may not even be "new", despite sellers saying it is.

That's debatable. Actually, since the DSS doesn't even have to mix the chat in it should drive most low-mid headphones just fine if not better than the mixamp.

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #22,867 of 48,562
+1 

Actually the sound from the DSS is much clearer than the Mixamp due to no interference from the mic channel.
Tried the DSS once with the DT770 80ohms but it doesnt work out so well but for the AD700 its more than enough.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #22,871 of 48,562

That's debatable. Actually, since the DSS doesn't even have to mix the chat in it should drive most low-mid headphones just fine if not better than the mixamp.

Ah yes that's right. But going from just a headphone (one without a mic), the Mixamp does amp better than the DSS.

+1 

Actually the sound from the DSS is much clearer than the Mixamp due to no interference from the mic channel.
Tried the DSS once with the DT770 80ohms but it doesnt work out so well but for the AD700 its more than enough.

True.

But if interference is a problem (is it really? it's so minor), then I guess don't use a mic/headset? Problem solved.

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #22,873 of 48,562
You asked earlier if amps matter to sonic quality, or if they're just for "enough volume." Some headphones require more voltage to be loud enough, but all drivers benefit from having enough current to articulate complex passages or powerful bass sections. Some headphones scale more than others, and IMO should be the first consideration, but an appropriate amp is part of a complete system.

A Q701 (62 ohm headphone) actually sounds loud enough right off of a Turtle Beach DSS ($30 like new on eBay). And decently wonderful too. But the bass will never quite sound "big" and the treble may distort, causing a sharpness that can get fatiguing after a half hour (ymmv, but I used to play violin too, like... 15 years ago, but I loved it). Add a good neutral-but-capable amp you'll still hear the character of the headphone, but notes flow from the drivers easily. You've heard it on string instruments; if a performer has a firm movement of the now it sounds great, but a novice playing weakly with little control will screech a stradivarius like a dying cat.

IMO, you ought to start out with a Koss KCS75 or Superlux (haven't heard Superlux myself, skipped to an AD700), a DSS (first version), and a portable amp like a FiiO E11.

Tbc, lunch break is over

So the DSS will give me the Dolby Headphone, the immersion, and will power some headphones (and give the full volume for most), but won't do the full deal for higher impedance headphones? OK I think I'll start with DSS 1 + Superlux. I don't need a portable amp.

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #22,874 of 48,562
Yo gents,

Here's my Q701 video I promised a while back.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #22,875 of 48,562
Cool vid Zombie. I'm assuming you're gonna end up making a AKG guide like your Beyer one.

Though considering how damn similar the AKG 7xx series is to itself (lol), it may be redundant. I mean, the K712 Pro reminds me so much of the Annie, and I'm almost wondering if I had used the newer angled memory foam pads, the differences would've be even more subtle (my Annie had non-angled memory foam pads). Considering how the Annie was basically a Q701 with memory foams, AKG REALLY didn't do much of anything with the K712 Pro, barring some extra sense of space, more treble, and less richness. Still wondering if that difference was mainly just the pads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back