Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 21, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #21,991 of 48,581
Hmmm... seems like you need an open headphone to alternate with? Try out the AKG K612 PRO and some K702 pads. Its a safe choice at under $200 ($165 at razordog using coupon K612PRO and $31 for the pads at AKG parts).

Don't want the wife getting too jealous... but the HP50 might
wink.gif

I'd second that.
Pads notwithstanding in my case but,,, I am just happier with the stock ones [all ears hear differently :D]
I'd add the MA900 for consideration too :]

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #21,992 of 48,581
I'd second that.
Pads notwithstanding in my case but,,, I am just happier with the stock ones [all ears hear differently :D]
I'd add the MA900 for consideration too :]

Matter of preference, definitely. I tried going back to stock... and couldn't stand it for very long. It still sounds nice, but the decrease in both air and bass makes it less enjoyable for me. It also makes the mids a bit too forward and grainy for my taste. It actually seems as if the mids on the stock K612 are more forward than that of the K712/K702 AEs (based off memory)?

You know... I meant to ask you why you chose to sell the x1 rather than the ma900. IMO, the X1 is more of a compliment to the K612 than the MA900... but I'm guessing by your taste its not?

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #21,993 of 48,581
Matter of preference, definitely. I tried going back to stock... and couldn't stand it for very long. It still sounds nice, but the decrease in both air and bass makes it less enjoyable for me. It also makes the mids a bit too forward and grainy for my taste. It actually seems as if the mids on the stock K612 are more forward than that of the K712/K702 AEs (based off memory).

You know... I meant to ask you why you chose to sell the x1 rather than the ma900. IMO, the X1 is more of a compliment to the K612 than the MA900... but I'm guessing by your taste its not?

Oh I believe the X1 is indeed the most different of the three. It's not just to my taste. X1 is the crowd pleasing headphone in essence. And it might quite be a bit better than the MAs but the signature is probably almost an exact opposite of what I like.
The K612 and MA900 complement each other just fine for me. X1 is a headphone that just doesn't get any use because the K612 took its place as the gaming phone.
With the 560 release, I really won't have any use for it.
Besides the X2 might be of interest to me too.
I don't regret having the X1 as it is a great headphone but it doesn't excell at what I deem important.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #21,994 of 48,581
Ah, that explains why you didn't like the K702 pads on the K612. You likes your forward mids! :)

MLE, meet conq!

Conq, meet MLE!

:p

And just to clarify, the K702 pads on the K612 (to me) doesn't recess the mids... it just evens them out with its added soundstage and bass. But, of course, to those that like their forward mids... they will seem recessed.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #21,995 of 48,581
Matter of preference, definitely. I tried going back to stock... and couldn't stand it for very long. It still sounds nice, but the decrease in both air and bass makes it less enjoyable for me. It also makes the mids a bit too forward and grainy for my taste. It actually seems as if the mids on the stock K612 are more forward than that of the K712/K702 AEs (based off memory)?

:ph34r:
More... Mids?
So, for someone who really liked the forward mids of the MA900, but sorely missed the extension of the AKGs... Is this the happy blend?

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #21,996 of 48,581
:ph34r:
More... Mids?
So, for someone who really liked the forward mids of the MA900, but sorely missed the extension of the AKGs... Is this the happy blend?

Remember, this is based off memory. But yes, if my assumption is correct... though the mids on the MA900 are still slightly more forward and have a larger mid-bass hump.

I think that's what conq has been trying to tell people since the first day he got the K612. Now it all makes sense lol

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #21,998 of 48,581
Now you know I am not the one to describe things in detail lol.

Remember the upper mid grain that chico mentioned in his Annie/K712 comparison? Very similar to that. And if the mids on these are indeed more forward than that of the Annie... than no wonder why I prefer the K702 pads on the K612.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #21,999 of 48,581
Now you know I am not the one to describe things in detail lol.

Remember the upper mid grain that chico mentioned in his Annie/K712 comparison? Very similar to that. And if the mids on these are indeed more forward than that of the Annie... than no wonder why I prefer the K702 pads on the K612.

I think it's just fear to put your words out there :wink:

I got a new, special package from Amazon!!!! Always fun!!!

Ooooh, what is it what is it what...

Oh.

Well still, a few gaming goodies (and I did need that trimmer to make my beard salon-sweet). There's an adapter cable (thanks for finding, Stillhart!) to basically make a smartphone plug into the common two-port PC headphone and mic connections, to let me plug in my mic to my Mixamp 5.8 same time as my standard headphones. There's also a pair of Kontrol Freeks, I've read good things and my 360 controller has worn to the plastic under it's grip, so I think it's a good time to test that before I transition to mostly playing on the PS4.

Speaking of, I love the ergonomics of the new Dual Shock 4, particularly I think it's cool that you can move the controller like a Wii mote (that doesn't look like a... Giant... stick of butter), and I adjusted a lot quicker to the domed sticks than I thought I would, but when I sustain pressing on a stick like running in an FPS I have to readjust my position because my thumb slips a bit.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #22,003 of 48,581
Mar 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #22,005 of 48,581

He can't, he's teasing us because all of his audio equipment is in boxes. 
frown.gif

Hey, I'm teasing myself as well. Besides, I couldn't test them anyways even if I wasn't packed; I purchased the XLR cable to pair with my Geek Pulse X when it comes in, and I haven't made the XLR to 1/4" adapter yet, because I wasn't expecting the Alphas for another 2 weeks or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back