Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #21,751 of 48,578
  Good to know.  The reviews on Amazon seem to say the same thing.  There's a $15 one on Amazon that looks similar but has fewer bad reviews...

Might just stick with my current setup and drop $100 on a Magni and be done with it.

As long as you don't catch the bug that's going around, as of late... upgrade-itis

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #21,752 of 48,578

As long as you don't catch the bug that's going around, as of late... upgrade-itis

Frickin' hate that bug. I have the T1s coming, the Alpha Dogs coming, and still I ordered a pair of Philips L2s from Italy. But hey, at least I've sold a bunch of ones I haven't used in a while. Though it sucks to be sitting here for the moment with the HD650s as my main headphones. Believe me they're no slouch, but new toy syndrome can be a bitch.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #21,753 of 48,578

It's RAAAAAAAMPant!!!!

P.S. Is anybody getting weird pics/adds when trying to click things in the mobile version of the site? I got this when I tapped the "quote" button to Change's post:

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #21,754 of 48,578

Frickin' hate that bug. I have the T1s coming, the Alpha Dogs coming, and still I ordered a pair of Philips L2s from Italy. But hey, at least I've sold a bunch of ones I haven't used in a while. Though it sucks to be sitting here for the moment with the HD650s as my main headphones. Believe me they're no slouch, but new toy syndrome can be a bitch.

You got it bad, my friend! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's RAAAAAAAMPant!!!!

P.S. Is anybody getting weird pics/adds when trying to click things in the mobile version of the site? I got this when I tapped the "quote" button to Change's post:

Yea, I've been getting pop-ups on my phone when visiting head-fi, as well. Even with a pop-up blocker on my Nexus 5, they still manage to open a new window in my chrome browser...

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #21,755 of 48,578

Don't worry, I have a wife and baby.  It'll be DAYS before I think of spending more...

I mean, I'm definitely not thinking about getting a sound card for my PC so I can swap my headphones back and forth.  I'd be CRAZY to think about keeping both the X1 and the Q701 so I don't have to swap as much.  And only an idiot would consider getting a Magni and a Vali just to hear the difference and then keep both because they need an amp on the Xbox and the PC.

Yes, sir, I'm good to go.  No updrade-itis here...

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #21,756 of 48,578
  Don't worry, I have a wife and baby.  It'll be DAYS before I think of spending more...

I mean, I'm definitely not thinking about getting a sound card for my PC so I can swap my headphones back and forth.  I'd be CRAZY to think about keeping both the X1 and the Q701 so I don't have to swap as much.  And only an idiot would consider getting a Magni and a Vali just to hear the difference and then keep both because they need an amp on the Xbox and the PC.

There are many, here on head-fi, that have wives and kids. Axel even just bought a house, I think... and look at him...

You just wait... it's very contagious... 
evil_smiley.gif

Better amps to consider for the Q701 are the Matrix M-Stage, Schiit Asgard 2, and iFi Micro iCAN... 
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #21,757 of 48,578

There are many, here on head-fi, that have wives and kids. Axel even just bought a house, I think... and look at him...

You just wait... it's very contagious... 
evil_smiley.gif

Better amps to consider for the Q701 are the Matrix M-Stage, Schiit Asgard 2, and iFi Micro iCAN... 
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Oh you're SO not helping.  >.<

Also, I read in the Vali thread that I'm better off spending more on a DAC than an amp or cans because you can't amplify lost sound.  So Bifrost Uber if I'm going to upgrade.  Then maybe a Valhalla.  Not that I've researched that at all...

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #21,758 of 48,578

And... I have the Asgard 2 on my desktop... and the M-Stage in the living room where my PS4 is...

Guess that makes me an idiot
redface.gif

Oh you're SO not helping.  >.<

Also, I read in the Vali thread that I'm better off spending more on a DAC than an amp or cans because you can't amplify lost sound.  So Bifrost Uber if I'm going to upgrade.  Then maybe a Valhalla.  Not that I've researched that at all...

Glad I could help! 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #21,759 of 48,578

And... I have the Asgard 2 on my desktop... and the M-Stage in the living room where my PS4 is...

Guess that makes me an idiot
redface.gif

Glad I could help! 
evil_smiley.gif

I'm still in my research phase.  We'll see how big of an idiot I am in a few more weeks.  Either way, I hope to be a more educated idiot by the time I'm done with the first pass of buying stuff.

Then hopefully I can enjoy it all for a bit before... The CRAVING sets in...

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #21,760 of 48,578
PS4 audio help.

Audio output Troubles with headphones.

I am having trouble getting the right settings as I did with the ps3 for headphones/mic.

PS3 >optical cable >Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp >ATH-A900 headphones (PS3 settings to optical out).
Headset mic setting was for chat to come through the headphones.

PS4
I have tried multiple settings, but the choices seem slimmer than on the PS3.
PS4 > optical cable > Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp > ATH-A900 headphones.

1). sound comes out from both the TV and headphones (kludge fix -turn down the TV or mute it).

2). Yes, I know the supplied mic is .......bad.
I have tried the different audio settings and party chat - but couldnt seem to find a way to output chat to my main headphones, if i set it to All audio the game audio only comes out of the Chat Mic piece. (kludge fix - have the ear piece inside my main headphones).

Any help/ideas or do I have to wait for a future PS4 update?

Thanks
expat.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #21,761 of 48,578
  PS4 audio help.

Audio output Troubles with headphones.

I am having trouble getting the right settings as I did with the ps3 for headphones/mic.

PS3 >optical cable >Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp >ATH-A900 headphones (PS3 settings to optical out).
Headset mic setting was for chat to come through the headphones.

PS4
I have tried multiple settings, but the choices seem slimmer than on the PS3.
PS4 > optical cable > Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp > ATH-A900 headphones.

1). sound comes out from both the TV and headphones (kludge fix -turn down the TV or mute it).

2). Yes, I know the supplied mic is .......bad.
I have tried the different audio settings and party chat - but couldnt seem to find a way to output chat to my main headphones, if i set it to All audio the game audio only comes out of the Chat Mic piece. (kludge fix - have the ear piece inside my main headphones).

Any help/ideas or do I have to wait for a future PS4 update?

Thanks
expat.

1) Nothing you can do about that. You will have to mute your TV when using your headphone setup...

2) Set audio to chat only... and use a y-cable out of your DS4 controller for the mic to work seperately...

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #21,763 of 48,578
Not much to explain, my friend. Go to sound settings, set audio output to headphones as "chat only." When done, all audio (sound and voice chat) will go through the optical out and into your processor/TV.

For chat output, you need a y-cable to plug the mic into the controller. Otherwise, it won't work...

By y-cable, I mean like the one shown on the front page. It separates audio and chat, allowing you to output your voice through the DS4 controller.. while allowing audio to go through your digital out from the PS4 console.

Goodnight

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #21,765 of 48,578
Basically it's a headset that also comes with its own mix amp. Golden ears recently measured these and they seem pretty good for a headset. They're also relatively inexpensive. Basically I want to have your say on these headsets anytime possible since so many gamers are recommending these.

^^^^^^^^^^^Plantronics RIG^^^^^^^^^^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back