Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #21,197 of 48,566
To get one for gaming only is overkill indeed but it can't get better than HD 800, K812, several Stax, TH-900 and T1 for gaming or let's say everybody will notice their technical superiority when comparing to good recommendations like the X1, K712 Pro. The only question is if it's worth the upgrade price.

Games like BF4 on PC sound and immerse very very good and are very much worth it (forget about CMSS-3D on HD800/K812/T1) , not so much for last gen over Mixamp or older PC titles that sound bad today (Bioshock, MTW2 :frowning2: ). Samples get better by the day so in the end I'd choose one high end phone over a 2-3 mid tier collection any day. 

I agree. I'm waiting on my tax return and I'm getting the hd800 . Ill be set for years to come.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #21,198 of 48,566
  I have a question about the Xbox One chat adapter. I have a hacked one with a 2.5mm cable coming out of it. I was planning on plugging it into my Mixamp but when I do the chat volume is extremely low and I can barely hear people. I have to turn the game volume down just to hear people.

Now what I was wondering is if I could somehow plug my 2.3 Mod mic directly into the chat adapter sort of how like you can do with the official chat adapter coming out in a couple days?

The only problem is that my mic male end is a 3.5mm and the one on the chat adapter is a 2.5mm adapter. I've been looking for a 2.5mm 3.5mm female to female adapter but they just don't seem to make them unless I'm missing something. Anyone know if that will work?

I figure if I can take the Mixamp out of the chat setup I should be good but I just can't figure out how to connect the 2.5 male to the 3.5 male.

First one on this page Is what you're looking for:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=120&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042909

EDIT: I just re-read what you're looking...dont know if that exists..

Dont know if it will actually work though...something tells me you will be able to talk but not able to hear others.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #21,199 of 48,566
First one on this page Is what you're looking for:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=120&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042909

EDIT: I just re-read what you're looking...dont know if that exists..

Dont know if it will actually work though...something tells me you will be able to talk but not able to hear others.

Seeing how hard if is to find the female to female cable I'm looking for I'm going to say it probably won't work although I don't know why.

Oh well I get the official adapter this week and I can plug my mic directly into the chat adapter.

You think that will work talking and being able to hear people still through my headphones?

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #21,200 of 48,566
Not sure what you want, but female to female tends to be called 'coupler'.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #21,201 of 48,566
Man, the positional audio of BF4 is fantastic relative to the sloppy mess that was stock BF3. You no longer need DH or CMSS-3D or any DSP really to get plug-and-play imaging with your favorite setup.

Might as well toss the Xonar U3 now.

I'll eat every post I stated earlier in this thread dogging on stats -- I've been there and back and there really isn't anything better than electrostatics as far as gaming is concerned (or music, but that's an entirely different discussion).

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #21,202 of 48,566
So you're going to toss the U3 because BF4 is the only game you'll ever play? Ok.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #21,204 of 48,566
Pretty sure, there's gonna be plenty of games without it. (Not that I've heard BF4's in game mixing). If anyone is willing to record BF4 with it's inherent 'good surround', I'd love to hear it, to see how well it does against DH and THX TS.

If there's one thing I don't like, is hearing a headphone sound like a headphone with tiny positional cues without the virtual landscape of virtual dsps like DH. People seem to forget DH is mimicking a room, not a headphone trying to be surround.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #21,205 of 48,566
Pretty sure, there's gonna be plenty of games without it. (Not that I've heard BF4's in game mixing). If anyone is willing to record BF4 with it's inherent 'good surround', I'd love to hear it, to see how well it does against DH and THX TS.

If there's one thing I don't like, is hearing a headphone sound like a headphone with tiny positional cues without the virtual landscape of virtual dsps like DH. People seem to forget DH is mimicking a room, not a headphone trying to be surround.

The post he makes is absurd. Using plug and play, only, with BF4 is NOT surround (sounds like plain stereo to me)... and is peanuts when compared to the massive surround sound of DH or other processors.

But hey, let em toss his U3. Nobody's stopping him.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #21,207 of 48,566
  Chico, does it work with the DSS too?

The mic won't work with the DSS for the same reason most mics won't work with it; The DSS only supports USB headset mics.  The Auvio mic terminates into two 3.5mm jacks (audio and mic).

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #21,208 of 48,566
  Man, the positional audio of BF4 is fantastic relative to the sloppy mess that was stock BF3. You no longer need DH or CMSS-3D or any DSP really to get plug-and-play imaging with your favorite setup.

Might as well toss the Xonar U3 now.

Toss it towards me please
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #21,209 of 48,566
Hey guys, does this graph shows a recessed lower midrange? 

Because I'm feeling that my current headphones have recessed male vocals.

That's one hell of a dip at 1khz. Yes, the midrange is lower than the bass and treble. IIRC, upper bass turns to midrange after 300hz or so, which is when that graph starts dipping. At 1khz, it starts it's gradual climb towards treble, where it peaks. Everything between the upper bass and treble is dipping to the 1khz mark.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #21,210 of 48,566
The post he makes is absurd. Using plug and play, only, with BF4 is NOT surround (sounds like plain stereo to me)... and is peanuts when compared to the massive surround sound of DH or other processors.

But hey, let em toss his U3. Nobody's stopping him.

Never made the pretense of surround. It's a really good stereo mix compared against BF3.

Not sure how it compares to BL2 but that's my other good reference point. You don't need DH or CMSS-3D to get superb imaging from that game, despite the stereo mix.

If you compare the three games BF3 is the only one that sounds purely L/R with no center or spatial cues and needs a DSP to be half-decent. I wouldn't be surprised if BF3 was a step back compared to BFBC2, but I'm too lazy to fire that one up.

Of course if you're using headphones with garbage imaging to begin with it won't help much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back