Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 23, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #21,181 of 48,566
Have come to a point where I'll either go with a DT 770 pro 32ohm with Zalman mic or a MMX 300, but i'm curious how the Zalman mic performs in blocking out ambient noise, as the 770 + mic is the afaik the better performer for price. 

Forgot to mention that the mmx 300 can be had for 220-255 €.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #21,182 of 48,566
Hmm... doesn't the Beyer Custom One Pro come with a detachable cable? That's another possibility for a decent closed headset.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #21,183 of 48,566
Yes, and it is also offered with beyerdynamic's very own detachable mic

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #21,184 of 48,566
OOOOOH... I forgot they had that one. What is wrong with me, that was posted yesterday. :frowning2:

Still, I guess it's still more logical to use Vmodas, since it's cheaper and more likely to fit other headphones.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #21,185 of 48,566
Sadly can't find the V-moda mic in either the german or british amazon and any danish store.

So far the custom pro looks really interesting with its mic, sadly can't find any reviews and the like that tells how fit they are for gaming plus the mention of lots of bass scares me slightly in regards to drowning out details (Not looking for AD700 detail level, just something better than  an Logitech G35).

Price comparison if it might influence recommendation:
COP+mic: 210€
MMX 300: 255€ ("as new" for 221€)
DT770Pro/32Ohm

I'm planning to get the Xonar DGX with it, though I doubt that would change much.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #21,186 of 48,566
How About

http://www.kopfhoererliebe.de/v-moda-boompro-microphone-cable-inkl-y-adapter-black.html

here you can see the shipping costs to destinations outside of Germany

http://www.kopfhoererliebe.de/versand

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #21,187 of 48,566
I think I'll decide against the COP based on livngston's comment: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604570/beyerdynamic-custom-ones-new-beyer-headphones/135#post_8699697

To me, the DT770 when properly amplified had much more presence than the Custom One Pro. The mids sounded less recessed while still providing as much bass as the Custom One Pro even at the fourth slider setting. The DT770 Pro 80 is definitely bass heavy, but it did not seem to overpower the mids like the Custom One Pro.  
I also use the headphones for gaming and found the DT770 provided a wider soundstage (IMO) than the Custom One Pro, making it better suited for virtual surround using Dolby Headphone output.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #21,188 of 48,566
Considering the HD800 references on the OP and on this thread, it'd be quite nice of you that you review them.

When doing so please bear in mind that they require a solid amp to work properly, considerably above the mixamp.

Please bear in some info that you probably didn't know... Mad recently put his last full-sized headphone (a pair of MA900) to help cover the cost of moving to a cheaper apartment, since one of his roommates had failed to cough up rent money.

I'm confident that, someday, he will hear them, and he'll want to tell us. Meanwhile there are many other Hd800 reviews out there that give a good idea about the sound... Fantastic, but probably overkill for the audio quality in games.

Harman Kardon as well. But like Marantz, and Denon, it's only on the older models.

Can someone please upload some gameplay with Silent Cinema.

I don't know how to capture accompanying video, and a trip through an ADC would degrade soundstage, but I'm telling you it's very similar to Dolby Headphone. I haven't heard it in a while, but rear positioning echo may be more noticeable... I fiddled but never figured out how to get rid of it entirely.

On a related note, I will be able to listen to it to my hearts content, and have all my gear set up and all my games on display BECAUSE!!!!! I finally got a new place! Will be making many little trips, it's hard to know what to move first.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #21,189 of 48,566
I have a question about the Xbox One chat adapter. I have a hacked one with a 2.5mm cable coming out of it. I was planning on plugging it into my Mixamp but when I do the chat volume is extremely low and I can barely hear people. I have to turn the game volume down just to hear people.

Now what I was wondering is if I could somehow plug my 2.3 Mod mic directly into the chat adapter sort of how like you can do with the official chat adapter coming out in a couple days?

The only problem is that my mic male end is a 3.5mm and the one on the chat adapter is a 2.5mm adapter. I've been looking for a 2.5mm 3.5mm female to female adapter but they just don't seem to make them unless I'm missing something. Anyone know if that will work?

I figure if I can take the Mixamp out of the chat setup I should be good but I just can't figure out how to connect the 2.5 male to the 3.5 male.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #21,190 of 48,566
Hi guys, I hope I get some good advice here =). Let's say it, I need the "best headphones" (I know this word doesn't exist in therms of audio, but...) that I can get for competitive first person shooter gaming sessions that also MUST fit a rock lover requirements for a outstanding eargasm. As I'm a starter, my budget for the HP is something like $250 (the less, the better). The HP will be paired with a Creative Soundblaster Z as I need a good 3D view of my enemies/mates location and, IF needed, a Schiit Magni Amplifier can be also put in the cart (you can also make your point here). Maybe I use it on my guitar amp too. I'm gonna use it for something like 8h/day at the vacations, so it needs to be very comfortable and pleasant (my Porta Pro bends my hair almost permanently and this makes me very, very angry). I'm not going to say the music-to-gaming using time ratio because I really think I need something good at both, but if you want cut anything out, I prefer the music quality over the gaming (not too much). Said that statements and after read this Guide, I think these are my options: AKG Q701 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 vs Philips Fidelio X1 vs Sony MA900 vs HiFiMAN HE-400. What do you think? If I forgot anything that can make your recommendation easier just tell me and I will add it. A little help from the thread starter would be also very appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you and sorry for any English Grammar murdering,

Lucas Bezerra.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #21,191 of 48,566
Hi guys, I hope I get some good advice here =). Let's say it, I need the "best headphones" (I know this word doesn't exist in therms of audio, but...) that I can get for competitive first person shooter gaming sessions that also MUST fit a rock lover requirements for a outstanding eargasm. As I'm a starter, my budget for the HP is something like $250 (the less, the better). The HP will be paired with a Creative Soundblaster Z as I need a good 3D view of my enemies/mates location and, IF needed, a Schiit Magni Amplifier can be also put in the cart (you can also make your point here). Maybe I use it on my guitar amp too. I'm gonna use it for something like 8h/day at the vacations, so it needs to be very comfortable and pleasant (my Porta Pro bends my hair almost permanently and this makes me very, very angry). I'm not going to say the music-to-gaming using time ratio because I really think I need something good at both, but if you want cut anything out, I prefer the music quality over the gaming (not too much). Said that statements and after read this Guide, I think these are my options: AKG Q701 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 vs Philips Fidelio X1 vs Sony MA900 vs HiFiMAN HE-400. What do you think? If I forgot anything that can make your recommendation easier just tell me and I will add it. A little help from the thread starter would be also very appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you and sorry for any English Grammar murdering,

Lucas Bezerra.

I like the 701. Great positional accuracy.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #21,192 of 48,566
  I've got this boom mic from Radioshack

It seems to fit just fine into the X1 and the boom ends up in the right spot.  I haven't actually tested the mic portion of it yet though
tongue_smile.gif

Chico, does it work with the DSS too?

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #21,194 of 48,566
If the Vmoda cable works, so will the Boom Pro. I guess I can add them to the list if so.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #21,195 of 48,566
I'm confident that, someday, he will hear them, and he'll want to tell us. Meanwhile there are many other Hd800 reviews out there that give a good idea about the sound... Fantastic, but probably overkill for the audio quality in games.

To get one for gaming only is overkill indeed but it can't get better than HD 800, K812, several Stax, TH-900 and T1 for gaming or let's say everybody will notice their technical superiority when comparing to good recommendations like the X1, K712 Pro. The only question is if it's worth the upgrade price.

Games like BF4 on PC sound and immerse very very good and are very much worth it (forget about CMSS-3D on HD800/K812/T1) , not so much for last gen over Mixamp or older PC titles that sound bad today (Bioshock, MTW2 
frown.gif
). Samples get better by the day so in the end I'd choose one high end phone over a 2-3 mid tier collection any day. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back