Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 27, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #20,476 of 48,566
I borrowed hd598 from a friend of mine. For comparison purpose and final decision for which to keep, i'm going to get either ad700 or k702.
So i'm asking again, which sounds more intimate, has forward mids and better sounding overall. 
And is the difference in price worth the money? I can get ad700 for 130$ and k702 for 200$.
Thanks in advance.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #20,477 of 48,566
What's the better move to power a set of headphones for PS4 gaming and movie watching? Should I do a mixamp or buy a receiver and use that to power the headphones? Would that provide enough juice with a good receiver? Most of the movies I watch have DTS tracks, which I know the mixamp can't decode.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #20,478 of 48,566
Bobo,
only receivers can make a surround mix from DTS at this current production time. The other thing to consider, do you also need to power speakers in the near future? A receiver can be quite convenient, but models with headphone surround are getting more rare. If you don't need speakers, something like a Mixamp or DSS is a simple solution.

Brick,
I would go K702 or K612 if you can afford it. AD700 is good but the AKGs are more involving.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #20,479 of 48,566
Bobo,
only receivers can make a surround mix from DTS at this current production time. The other thing to consider, do you also need to power speakers in the near future? A receiver can be quite convenient, but models with headphone surround are getting more rare. If you don't need speakers, something like a Mixamp or DSS is a simple solution.

Brick,
I would go K702 or K612 if you can afford it. AD700 is good but the AKGs are more involving.

+1 for the K612, especially for the price of $165 from razordog...

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #20,480 of 48,566
Those pleather pads look obnoxious. Oh I see swappable velours. Hmmmm.

Indeed.  As soon as I see that scrunchy wrinkly type of pleather, I cringe. 

Don't do it! HD800, HE560!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Strange to see you advocating for the HD800. 
rolleyes.gif

At any rate, I won't be able to buy anything for quite some time, and the HE560 will be thoroughly reviewed by then.  I'd be very surprised if the HE560 suddenly develops enough soundstage to compete with the HD800 or K812 though.

Quite nice indeed...I gotta say, Fractal Design sure makes some sleek cases.

Thanks!  I agree on the Fractal Cases.  Very sleek and elegant looking IMO.

And thank you for that heads-up about Micro Center doing price-protection refunds.  I just checked today, 14 days after I purchased my CPU+motherboard combo, and BOTH of them have just dropped in price.  The 4770K by $30 (back down to the 250 price) and the motherboard by $20.

So I'll get $50 back in my pocket if I drive down there today, which I'm going to do. 
beerchug.gif

What card or cards did you use?

A GTX 770.  Specifically this one by PNY. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #20,482 of 48,566
Thanks!  I agree on the Fractal Cases.  Very sleek and elegant looking IMO.

And thank you for that heads-up about Micro Center doing price-protection refunds.  I just checked today, 14 days after I purchased my CPU+motherboard combo, and BOTH of them have just dropped in price.  The 4770K by $30 (back down to the 250 price) and the motherboard by $20.
So I'll get $50 back in my pocket if I drive down there today, which I'm going to do. 
beerchug.gif

If ever needed I can always stop in there with a photocopy of the receipt and handle that for you. I live 5 minutes from the store and work another 5 away. Bit of a drive from your town to the store just for that. No can do today since I'm working now.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #20,483 of 48,566

If ever needed I can always stop in there with a photocopy of the receipt and handle that for you. I live 5 minutes from the store and work another 5 away. Bit of a drive from your town to the store just for that. No can do today since I'm working now.

Thanks.  I called them and they said they need to swipe the actual card though, as the way they refund is by putting it back on the card.  So I'd have to go in myself regardless.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #20,485 of 48,566

Easy fix, just get me a copy of your card. :wink:

Or....I could just post my credit card info and social security number right here on the forums, so all the kind people of the internet can help out! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #20,486 of 48,566

Or....I could just post my credit card info and social security number right here on the forums, so all the kind people of the internet can help out! 
biggrin.gif

No, they wouldn't be able to scan the card then. If you want to do that those blanket fliers that advertise car sales could include a plastic card and then everyone can really help!

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #20,487 of 48,566
Bobo,

Well I'm not doing speakers at the current time. I don't want to piss off my neighbors as I'm in an apartment. The problem with something like the mixamp for me is it doesn't decode dts audio. So when I hook it up to something like my wdtv it can't play the dts tracks my movies are encoded in. Would there be an amp that would work with PS4 that can also do dts? Something that can do both is the perfect solution for me.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #20,488 of 48,566
  I have a huge backlog of games I need to play.  A bunch of triple A games like Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, Metro LL, etc. 

I stocked up during the Steam holiday sale though, so I've got plenty to choose from...

I don't see BF4 in that arsenal. For shame. No worries. I'll make sure you're copied on the next Origins deal!

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #20,489 of 48,566

My monitor is a 40" Samsung HDTV. 

If I want to get fancy, I can match the colors up between the PC case and the bias light behind the screen.
eek.gif

A couple more pics here

I'm rolling with the X1s right now.  Eventually I'll pick up another higher-end pair...probably the K812.

You'll buy headphones that cost as much as your entire computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back