Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Chicolom's Off-Topic PC Build Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicolom's Off-Topic PC Build Discussion - Page 2

post #16 of 70
Thread Starter 

Am I correct in assuming that this is how you go about disabling the onboard motherboard audio on Asus boards?

 

 

(Enter UEFI Bios...)  Advanced Mode > Advanced Settings > Onboard Devices > HD Audio Controller (Disabled)

post #17 of 70
Ya that's pretty much it.
post #18 of 70
Thread Starter 

Ok, I disabled that ^.  I also disabled these two Realtek Startup process.  OK to do?

 

 

post #19 of 70

You're correct chico - yeah disable 'em.  In fact you might as well uninstall the Realtek drivers while you're at it - surplus to requirements now.

 

Hoping to see some exotic pics of the build all together :smile: 


Edited by SaLX - 1/18/14 at 2:32pm
post #20 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

Hoping to see some exotic pics of the build all together :smile: 

 

Here you go:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by chicolom - 1/27/14 at 3:25am
post #21 of 70

Exotic, not porn chico!!! Absolutely stunning pictures. Can you really change the internal colours that much? The bottom three you must have an external lightsource to cast on the wall behind - looks great.

 

Extremely nice job there. That is such a great looking case. Jealous. One question: what's the base that it's sitting on?  

post #22 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

Exotic, not porn chico!!! Absolutely stunning pictures. Can you really change the internal colours that much? The bottom three you must have an external lightsource to cast on the wall behind - looks great.

 

Extremely nice job there. That is such a great looking case. Jealous. One question: what's the base that it's sitting on?  

 

 

Yeah, you can change the colors that much.  It's the NZXT Hue, and the way you change colors is not by cycling through preset colors, but by dialing a specific color in using the three RGB knobs.  So it works basically like RGB sliders in that you control the amount of each color to sum up the final color. 

 

 

Turn them all up and you will get as white/bright as it will go.  Turn blue and red up and you get purple, so on and so forth.  It only has about ~45 stops for each color, so it's not "infinite" like the marketing says, but it's plenty for how it's being used.  All those colors in the pics above were dialed in manually and there's no photoshop changes to the colors.  The HUE also has some other modes, like auto fading through all the colors, a flashing through the colors, and flashing or pulsing on a single custom color - and you can control the speed on all the modes.  It also has 5 brightness settings, and of course an OFF switch.

 

 

 

I'm very pleased with how the final build turned out looking.  The Fractal is a very nice looking case, and the windowed panel combined with the case lighting takes it up a notch.  :regular_smile :  And yes, the display also has its own LED bias lighting behind it.  It's basically one of these, and it's got a remote with a bunch of different colors you can pick.  It also has color fading and pulsing modes on it.

 

The PC case is just resting on one of the tiers from those cheapo stackable plastic shelving units, which I got at Walmart. I just wanted to raise it up off the floor a little, as there is a constant ocean of dust bunnies moving across the bare floor.


Edited by chicolom - 1/27/14 at 11:17am
post #23 of 70
Very nice setup man. So clean and customizable. I'm on that UV binge myself since I've set up my new loop but yours has a certain appeal to it for sure.

I also use the bias lighting behind my HDTV. Less eye strain and deeper blacks due to the perceived contrast. Can't go wrong there. Also helps with typing at night.
post #24 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJINFERNO806 View Post


I also use the bias lighting behind my HDTV. Less eye strain and deeper blacks due to the perceived contrast. Can't go wrong there. Also helps with typing at night.

 

Yeah, bias lighting helps out a lot when doing anything like gaming, watching movies, etc.  I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried using one.

post #25 of 70
Thread Starter 

I went to Microcenter and got my $50 price protection refund on the CPU and motherboard, plus I can do an additional $10 rebate on the motherboard now.  :regular_smile :

post #26 of 70

I have onboard enabled in the bios, just didn't install the Realtek drivers from the beginning. That way I can still send audio data through the motherboard's optical/coaxial out since they appear in the device manager. Using coaxial to my HT for the case I want the whole room full of music. 

post #27 of 70
Thread Starter 

Did a "completed build" thing on PCpartpicker:

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LNb

 

Nothing new to see for you guys really, apart from a couple more misc. pics, but whatevs.


Edited by chicolom - 1/31/14 at 1:52am
post #28 of 70
Looks like I'm joining the PC Master Race...

Lol! Yeah the graphics are better for a start, plus you have a broader range of games to play. Also you get to look down on console players and feel superior (or something). I have a PNY 670... it was the cheapest I could get and they are quality. I wish now I'd gone for a better dual fan solution... the noise ramps up under load. Still though..... with explosions and screams etc you'll never notice.

 

BTW.. if you use the Asus AI suite and you think it hogs too many resources (it doesn't really all told) then save the settings in BIOS and uninstall it: voila, the MB does it for you.... saves you time farting around getting the best clock. 4.2 GHZ is really the sweet spot I'd say.

 

Uber cheap deal on that SSD.. you probably are as thrilled as I was when I got one... huge upgrade... more than any other component.  Hope you're liking the SBZ as much as I am... the only thing it's not good at is stereo movies > surround: that's something that Dolby Headphone does very well.

 

Great looking rig.

post #29 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

Lol! Yeah the graphics are better for a start, plus you have a broader range of games to play. Also you get to look down on console players and feel superior (or something). I have a PNY 670... it was the cheapest I could get and they are quality. I wish now I'd gone for a better dual fan solution... the noise ramps up under load. Still though..... with explosions and screams etc you'll never notice.

 

BTW.. if you use the Asus AI suite and you think it hogs too many resources (it doesn't really all told) then save the settings in BIOS and uninstall it: voila, the MB does it for you.... saves you time farting around getting the best clock. 4.2 GHZ is really the sweet spot I'd say.

 

Uber cheap deal on that SSD.. you probably are as thrilled as I was when I got one... huge upgrade... more than any other component.  Hope you're liking the SBZ as much as I am... the only thing it's not good at is stereo movies > surround: that's something that Dolby Headphone does very well.

 

Great looking rig.

 

 

Yeah, I don't understand the people who actually take the "PC Master Race" thing seriously and intentionally troll console gamers in a non-sarcastic manner. 

 

I don't mind the AI suite.  I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of overhead to not worry about a few MB of resources.  I haven't even tried overclocking yet as I haven't done anything uber intensive, and it feels quite fast at stock speeds.  Do always keep your CPU overclocked, or only when running a modern game?

 

The SSD is great.  Definitely speeds things up.  Photoshop never takes longer than 5 seconds to open, whereas it never takes less than 30seconds on my laptop :\

 

The SB Z is great too.  Nice soundstage and positioning, and definitely sounds less processed than DH (although sometimes I like the echoey sound, depending on the game).  I wish the SB Z didn't have that little bit of latency when encoding DDL as it gives a delay when trying out my DSS+Dolby Headphone with it.  In all likelihood though, I probably won't bother with trying to get DH on PC as the SBX pro does a great job.  I agree that the stereo-to-surround upscaling with TV/Movies doesn't seem that amazing though. 

post #30 of 70

Oh for God's sake, stick the boot into console players at every possible opportunity Enjoy it.. Little podgy spotty bastards that they are .....unlike us blond Intel using Adonises (er......lol!!!!)

 

The AI suite.. go for the medium or whatever overclock (not the extreme).... it's really slick and ultra easy to do. Couple of reboots and you're away. Modern OC'd mobos dial down the overclock when not under strain..... Normally my board sits at 1.6GHz with a low voltage, then it ramps up if need be to 4.2GHz. I've tested my Asus @ 4.8GHz for over a week, but me being me I dialled it back down to a more conservative number.

 

Agree with you on the reverb.. though all things being equal, it's best if the game does it and not the DSP's. I'm still out on 'what is best' though. Going to get a Xonar U3 or a cheapo old Xonar PCI card for no other reason than why not! :smile: I don't know what's a good SPDIF/Optical switcher to use.. think MLE posted a link somewhere.


Edited by SaLX - 1/31/14 at 5:09am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Chicolom's Off-Topic PC Build Discussion