Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #18,871 of 48,570
I've been trying to get the AH-D7000 for the past few weeks but they've been pretty hard to come by. Does anyone know if the AH-D7100 is more or less as good as the AH-D7000? While I'm not a fan of the new aesthetics, if there are no major sonic differences I would love to buy them and be done with it.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #18,872 of 48,570
Man, my wallet is DEAD! I did manage, however to sell those pads.

Time to sell a few more things...
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #18,874 of 48,570
Anyone with a ps4 notice an especially noisy USB port for audio with the mixamp?  If I turn up my m-stage, I can definitely hear an extra electrical hiss that is not present when using the Xbox 360 S or my airport router.  

Only noticeable during silence while using my relatively powerful amp, but it is definitely there...

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #18,878 of 48,570
  Does anyone know if the viio e18 can use Dolby headphone from a console,or another product that can? or do I have to use something like the astro mix-amp?

Two completely different types of devices. The Fiio E18 is a USB DAC/amp designed for android phones. It doesn't process Dolby Headphone. The Astro Mixamp is a Dolby Headphone surround sound processor. If you're looking for an alternative to the Mixamp, there are a couple out there. You could get a Turtle Beach DSS. The v1 uses DH. You could also look into similar items like the Recon3D USB which doesn't use DH but has THX TrueStudio Pro.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #18,879 of 48,570
  Does anyone know if the viio e18 can use Dolby headphone from a console,or another product that can? or do I have to use something like the astro mix-amp?

It can amp a signal from another device, but you can't use the E18's DAC and get Dolby Headphone from a console (you can from PC though).

The reason it's not possible on consoles is because all of the third party devices (Mixamp, DSS, etc.) that process Dolby Headphone for consoles only have analog outputs.  So that means they have to function as the DAC.  Which means your E18 doesn't get to function as a DAC.  You can still use it as an amp if you want.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #18,880 of 48,570
I know nothing about Dolby stuff, like at all really.

When a game is labeled to have "Dolby Pro Logic II," what does that mean?

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-ii-details.html
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-II.html

Does that mean a DSP technology is involved?

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #18,881 of 48,570

It can amp a signal from another device, but you can't use the E18's DAC and get Dolby Headphone from a console (you can from PC though).

The reason it's not possible on consoles is because all of the third party devices (Mixamp, DSS, etc.) that process Dolby Headphone for consoles only have analog outputs.  So that means they have to function as the DAC.  Which means your E18 doesn't get to function as a DAC.  You can still use it as an amp if you want.

Two completely different types of devices. The Fiio E18 is a USB DAC/amp designed for android phones. It doesn't process Dolby Headphone. The Astro Mixamp is a Dolby Headphone surround sound processor. If you're looking for an alternative to the Mixamp, there are a couple out there. You could get a Turtle Beach DSS. The v1 uses DH. You could also look into similar items like the Recon3D USB which doesn't use DH but has THX TrueStudio Pro.

Thanks for the reply's. Damn I wish there was something that small that could do every thing
biggrin.gif

How are you guys set up? if you use consoles.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #18,884 of 48,570

When I had my consoles, I went console > mixamp > amp > headphones.

Now it's computer > Recon3D > amp > headphones

PS4 > mixamp > m-stage > srh1840

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys, it seems I have to get a mixamp then. I just returned a pheobus soundcard, is there a way to use a pc soundcard to decode the surround signal? from a console I mean.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #18,885 of 48,570
Hey guys, been looking for some headphones / headsets for gaming purposes.

Honestly I prefer a headset for convenience because I have an astro mixamp,  but I don't mind experimenting.

Pricing for me probably caps out at ~$160
Features in order of Importance to me:

Soundstage: 9-10
Comfort:7-9
Mic Quality: 6-9
Musicality: 6-7

I don't have a soundcard, so I probably can't Power most things past this price threshold.
I play / focus on playing a bunch of Shooters with positional ques.
I program / do alot of computer work (includes voicework), so i may be on computers for multiple hours which is why comfort/mic qual is intended.
Of course music enjoyment would be good but probably not the focus.

Currently thinking on the Sennheiser PC 360 for these uses.
Would like recommendations, have no experience on Mic quality of Mod mics/other options which could free up different headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back