Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #18,721 of 48,576
Took the dacmagic xs back and got the dragonfly..i think they are both average..they sound like headphone amps that are around the same price(without a dac) better off spending more money and getting what you pay for..i can't even be bothered taking the dragonfly back!

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #18,722 of 48,576

Thnx for the suggestion! Nice comparison and review. But as gaming will be my #1 use for these, and the sound stage is smaller compared to the k701, I think it will be inferior compared to the other ones I pointed out. I am not sure about this, but as the review is not written with as primary objective gaming, I feel it is to risky to buy it for gaming.... (please, prove me wrong if so)
The Sennheisers clamp a bit (Senns are known for clamp), and the AD700 doesn't clamp enough (a super loose fit).

Can you afford the Sony MA900? That would be an ideal solution.

Gdubz, I like it. Not worth really getting either console at the moment, but if there is something you really wanna play, I guess I'd say it's worth it. For me, there isn't enough, and the settings are lacking. I know it will get getter in the future, so I'm hopeful.

Thnx for the suggestion, I totally overlooked the Sony. Probably because I am not a big fan of Sony as a brand. I owned a diskman (yeah, I know, that is a while ago :wink: ) and had it send back 6 times in its 2 year warranty time. And everytime it returned to me, something else was broken.... 
I am also curious how they hold up compared to the audio dynamics / sennheisers in terms of soundwhoring. As that will be my primary use for them. (prefer normal speakers when listening to music) You said they are superior to the 5xxx series of Sennheiser in your review, is this in general, or also for pure sound-whoring? I am not really looking forward to buying something of Sony again. But a little bit of convincing might get me over the line.

Also, do you have any experience with the AKG 612? Do you like it for gaming? 

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #18,723 of 48,576
  Took the dacmagic xs back and got the dragonfly..i think they are both average..they sound like headphone amps that are around the same price(without a dac) better off spending more money and getting what you pay for..i can't even be bothered taking the dragonfly back!

When you buy way into the hype this will sometimes happen. There's always the possibility they just didn't click with you or you didn't give your ears enough time to warm up to them. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #18,725 of 48,576
Gonna be buying a pair of Sennheiser 558's, could I do better for gaming/music headphones in the price range? Max is just $130.

I listen to rap/hip hop, some electronic and then jazz/r&b, along with gaming. Is this the best choice?

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #18,726 of 48,576

Thnx for the suggestion! Nice comparison and review. But as gaming will be my #1 use for these, and the sound stage is smaller compared to the K701, I think it will be inferior compared to the other ones I pointed out. I am not sure about this, but as the review is not written with as primary objective gaming, I feel it is to risky to buy it for gaming.... (please, prove me wrong if so)

So far I (personally) have not found any negative feedback about gaming with the K612 Pros.
And it does have a lower price then the other headphones talked about.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #18,727 of 48,576
  The babies have arrived!

Not gonna comment on the sound yet.
As far as comfort goes though, other than the velours being slightly itchy [it seems to be going away with time though] it is supreme.
First impressions are positive - it is bassy but not as bassy as I'd thought [good!], sound is a bit soft with the stock cable [expected, but it's subtle, compared with a cable I had lying around, still waiting for the one I've ordered though], a bit less airy than the MA900 [IMO] but very relaxing sound yet still involving [IMO].
So far very good with music, will test with games later tonight,
I gotta say, the MA900 and X1 are rather different, still both very, VERY good.
Keeping both!
[Itchiness is gone :]]
Also, beautiful headphones, they are!

x1's are great hp's... I think the three I am after is the dx700, akg k712, and the x1

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #18,729 of 48,576
x1's are great hp's... I think the three I am after is the dx700, akg k712, and the x1

Oh, I'd love to try those two too. But they'd be better off with some ampage which I don't have yet, the AKG mostly.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #18,730 of 48,576
Apples to oranges. 558 is a lot more balanced and doesn't emphasize any major part of the audio spectrum. The 990 Pros are bass and treble heavy, with recessed mids, so some details will be drowned out in favor of more excitement in the bass, and sparkliness. It's more exciting than the 558, but not as competitive, and some details/sounds will sound distant or harder to hear. The 990 Pros also benefit from amping, while the 558s don't need much of anything to sound good.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #18,731 of 48,576
Apples to oranges. 558 is a lot more balanced and doesn't emphasize any major part of the audio spectrum. The 990 Pros are bass and treble heavy, with recessed mids, so some details will be drowned out in favor of more excitement in the bass, and sparkliness. It's more exciting than the 558, but not as competitive, and some details/sounds will sound distant or harder to hear. The 990 Pros also benefit from amping, while the 558s don't need much of anything to sound good.

Thanks for the reply! The best place to be caught is between two great deals

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #18,733 of 48,576
Guys, if I don't have a headphone on the guide, I either haven't tried it, or haven't had enough time with it for gaming. That simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back