Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #18,301 of 48,562
Are you missing them at all, chico?

Wait, am I the last one who still has a pair instead of moving to a new price point?

Thanks Chico, do you use an amp them (the 712's)? Can you elaborate on your preference of the 712's over the Annie's please.

I'm not Chico nor do I have experience with the Annies, but I DO have the K712 and I DO prefer them over the Q701... A little bit less grainy and a little bit more comfortable. They're very, very good headphones. I do generally use them with an amp I bought to use with my Q701s, but it does a decent job plugged straight into my iPod (video, old 5th gen model) and my Creative Sound Blaster Z. An amp heightens the experience a bit, better soundstage and separation.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #18,302 of 48,562
Are you missing them at all, chico?

Sure.  The K712s are pretty much the best all-around mid-fi cans I've heard. 

I haven't replaced them with anything yet, I've just scaled down to just the X1 for now.  Still need to decide between the TH600, HD800, or K812.

Thanks Chico, do you use an amp on them (the 712's)? Can you elaborate on your preference of the 712's over the Annie's...what about them makes you prefer them? Thanks.

Yes, the amps in my sig.

I prefer the K712 because it's slightly less dry sounding and the upper mids are a tad more laid back and smooth.  Overall the K712 is slightly smoother and thicker/fuller sounding.  The K712 also has slightly deeper pads which make the soundstage slightly less intimate sounding.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #18,304 of 48,562
Sure.  The K712s are pretty much the best all-around mid-fi cans I've heard. 

I haven't replaced them with anything yet, I've just scaled down to just the X1 for now.  Still need to decide between the TH600, HD800, or K812.

Stop messing around and get the HD800.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #18,305 of 48,562
Stop messing around and get the HD800.

Oh man. Listen to him, Chico. I heard the HD800 this evening at an Ohio meet. We were running it off a DNA Sonett side-by-side with a SR-009 powered by a KGSSHV. We used the same source; the Audio-GD Master 7. Short version, the group was split between them. They were wonderful.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #18,306 of 48,562
  Anyone knows if pairing Sony MDR-MA900 with a Sound Blaster Z is a good idea? 

I would "guess" they would make a good pairing.
(Can't see a reason why not)
Do you already own the MA900 or Sound Blaster Z?
You might try asking about the MA900/SB-Z combo on these threads.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663121/sony-mdr-ma900-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623079/creative-sound-blaster-new-s-rie-z

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #18,307 of 48,562
Axel, the DX mic won't work through the ps4 controller without the Mixamp's y adapter, or something like it.

Also, I get inconsistent hiss when using the mic, though I seem to get it more when I use the mic through the Mixamp than when I use it with the PS4 controller's audio out.

I think it's my Mixamp though, which distorts here and there. I was getting bad feedback the other day just using the MA900. It was the Mixamp's audio jack which seems tk be going bad.

I'm positive if I use my E17 instead of the Mixamp, the audio won't be distorted. Guess I better test it.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #18,308 of 48,562
Good news is, if you barely ever listen to chat with your game, there's a cheaper option with less hiss... and my DSS hasn't exhibited any faults.

Why were you playing with your kossheisers if you could play with your MA900?

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #18,309 of 48,562
Well. It's not a problem with Mixamps themselves. Just my headphone jack has crapped out a bit. It works perfectly fine, aside from picking up mic feedback, where the ps4 controller doesn't. Its sensitive to certain feedback, like using a different usb port than the ps4s...

But if it does end up going to crap, I probably will acquire a cheap DSS. At least the ps4 has it's own chat input, so a Mixamp isn't necessary anymore for voice chat.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #18,311 of 48,562
I never do, lol. But the Mixamp has basically no hiss when I play normally. Just when I start messing about that I staft getting feedback, etc. Once I basically set it, I leave it alone, and its perfect. But if I start messing around with voice chat, and plugging the usb to some other input, I start having issues.

I'm sure I won't have any more issues, since I won't be using the Mixamp's voice chat function, and just going through the dual shock's audio out.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #18,312 of 48,562
Using some Skullcandy PLYR1s

So I noticed that when switching my audio output settings from HDMI to optical or LPCM to Bitstream that my headset makes a popping noise. Not normally big deal right?

But for all of my PS4 recorded videos using the share button there is always the same popping noise at the beginning of the clip. Is audio in the DMB using a different audio mode then from gameplay/videos? I guess its similar to the PS3? 

Ugh its annoying that this gets captured in the share and I have to export to Youtube to edit it out. Nothing I can do about this I suppose outside of doing my share uploads while not using my headset?

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #18,313 of 48,562
Certain devices pop whwn changing from one signal type to another. Same thing happens with the Mixamp off the PS4. It's normal.

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #18,314 of 48,562
hey mad lust got any info about the new G4me one from sennheiser ? am thinking of getting one but i really think that it's the same as pc 363d they also look the same ? what do you think
and i really need your help on this but my budget is arround 200$ for a headset and i need a good headset like the ath700d or hd 558 moded i know that they are the best performance/price headsets out there but i can only get them from the UK and they are so damn expensive like 120 pound for the hd 558 and 140 pound for the hd 598 but i can get the new G4me one for 190 pound if i only add 50-70 pounds more what do you think i shud get ? based on your experience also is there another deal that i should think of ?
edited: to tell the truth i don't think am getting the G4me one as i really think that they are a pc 363d just with out a 7.1 surround sound which makes the pc 363d to me a better buy am just very confused here on what i should get :frowning2: sux to be in the uk

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #18,315 of 48,562
I'm a little confused with the mic situation. Is it not as simple as it was with the ps3? Currently I have my mix amp hooked up through the PS4 optical with the y adapter hooked to the mix amp and my head phones plugged into the adapter. I haven't tried to use either the dx clip on mic or modmic yet but shouldn't it work just like the ps3? It would be pretty good if it worked just by plugging into the PS4 controller itself.

*edit* EV have you tried the m100s with the boom mic? Does it work properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back