Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #18,184 of 48,565
The AD700X are the same as ATH-AD700 but better i guess ? And ADG1 and AD700x are basically equal ? Guess ill go with the AD700x then

The AD700x doesn't have a mic.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #18,186 of 48,565
  One last thing, you said the only Xonar thats good enough for K702 is the STX. Is there any soundcards like creative or any other brand that has better soundcards then the STX for the k702 ?

Your best bet is to get a ~$40 sound card that will handle surround sound tech and have a digital out, then get a better external amp/dac. If you are set on going the K702 route, thats what you will be forced to do. 

I had the k702 annie paired with the STX for a while before I decided to upgrade to a Schiit stack. It makes a noticeable difference. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #18,187 of 48,565
Agreed. Something as cheap as the DG, then buy an optical dac and amp, like a Compass 2, or for cheapest, a Fiio D03K and some powerful amp.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #18,188 of 48,565
god damn resogun is addicting!

(yes, that has nothing to do with headphones)

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #18,189 of 48,565
One last thing, you said the only Xonar thats good enough for K702 is the STX. Is there any soundcards like creative or any other brand that has better soundcards then the STX for the k702 ?

I'm pretty sure the entire Sound Blaster Z-series lineup has the same headphone amp chip used in the Xonar Essence ST(X)...and the FiiO E9, for that matter.

Still, as others have said, I'd recommend getting an external amp if that's what your headphones want. You don't want to replace your sound card every time you need to upgrade amps now, do you?

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #18,191 of 48,565
  One last thing, you said the only Xonar that's good enough for K702 is the STX. Is there any sound cards like creative or any other brand that has better sound cards then the STX for the k702 ?

The Essence STX (& ST) and the Creative SB-ZxR all use the TI 6120A2 headphone amplifier, which would seem to be the best you could do, for a sound card (internal or external),
There are external head amps (and DACs) that are better then the STX, ST, ZxR and they of course cost more money.

Personally, I think getting a Xonar DX or D1 sound card and an external headphone amplifier, like the Magni or O2, is a little better option, over the Essence STX

The DX, D1, STX & ST all use the same CMI8788 audio processer, but the STX & ST does have a better DAC chip.

The Magni & O2 have an output impedance of less then 1-ohm :) which should be better for low impedance headphones (around 50-Ohms or less), over the STX, ST & ZxR's 10-Ohm impedance.
And you can use the external head amp with more then just your win PC.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #18,192 of 48,565

I'm pretty sure the entire Sound Blaster Z-series lineup has the same headphone amp chip used in the Xonar Essence ST(X)...and the FiiO E9, for that matter.

Still, as others have said, I'd recommend getting an external amp if that's what your headphones want. You don't want to replace your sound card every time you need to upgrade amps now, do you?

The SB-Z and SB-Zx, use a different headphone amplifier (cheaper?), then the ST(X) and ZxR and E9/E09K

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #18,193 of 48,565
So, I just opened the replacement iCAN that arrived yesterday and all is not well with this unit, either. Everything works as it should, except for the damn volume knob. It is somewhat loose and the base scrapes against its surface every time I turn it. This causes a static noise whenever I try to adjust the volume; and the physical scraping when I do so just makes me cringe.

I contacted Avatar Acoustics and they're looking to see if I can get a different product as this is my second time having an issue with the iCAN. I made sure to complain about having to come out of my pocket to ship back, yet, another defective unit when they are supposed to be pretty much "bulletproof" according to the person I spoke to.

Glad I decided to check it out before posting a classified. I was going to sell it unopened... YIKES!

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #18,194 of 48,565
  So, I just opened the replacement iCAN that arrived yesterday and all is not well with this unit, either. Everything works as it should, except for the damn volume knob. It is somewhat loose and the base scrapes against its surface every time I turn it. This causes a static noise whenever I try to adjust the volume; and the physical scraping when I do so just makes me cringe.

I contacted Avatar Acoustics and they're looking to see if I can get a different product as this is my second time having an issue with the iCAN. I made sure to complain about having to come out of my pocket to ship back, yet, another defective unit when they are supposed to be pretty much "bulletproof" according to the person I spoke to.

Glad I decided to check it out before posting a classified. I was going to sell it unopened... YIKES!

Wow, that's horrible. I'm glad you checked it out too. That's really sucky, man. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back