Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 21, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #18,166 of 48,578
If I was a Xbone prepurchaser and a mixamp owner I would be so horribly annoyed right now with Microsoft and their constant back tracking and PR spinning.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #18,167 of 48,578
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-21-xbox-one-dolby-digital-headset-support-coming-post-launch

Some good news for.Xbox owners after a while.:)

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #18,168 of 48,578
I myself use the Xonar U3, which is an external device. The soundcard equivalent is the Xonar DG. That is DEFINITELY not enough fo the K702. You need something powerful. Powerful and not expensive, are opposites. the K702 is on of the worst headphones to underpower, so I'd advise on something else if you're not gona push them properly, because it's a waste of money.

I'm not knowledgable on soundcards at all. Ask on the Nameless guide.

So the Xonar U3 you have is not enough for the K702 ?  Xonar U3 is not expensive in my eyes, but if I dont get a soundcard which one of the other headsets I suggested would be best then if we include the MA900 aswell? or maybe something like Asus Xonar DX is enough for k702 ?

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #18,169 of 48,578
The only Xonar good enough for the K702 is the Essence STX. and even then that is not gonna bring the K702 to near its best ability.

I suggest the MA900 for sheerly practical reasons.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #18,170 of 48,578
Hi Mad Lust Envy, first of all just want to say a massive thanks for this great guide. I'm on the search for my first set of gaming headphones and didn't really know anything about what's good or not so this was mighty helpful!

The set I was leaning towards were the Astro 40's - I really liked the integrated mic and as far as I understand it the mixamp is a good product. However, I've been unsure due to compatability issues with the next gen consoles and I'm worried that it's going to be outdated very soon... Also keep reading from so many people that they're 'a crap gaming headset'. I was then pretty sure I was going to buy the Sennheiser 598's, but buying a separate clip-on mic is not something I'm that keen on.

So the ones I'm looking at now are the Audio Technica ATH-ADG1 - they were released here in Australia yesterday I believe. I only just found out about these the other day, and they seem like a good fit for me.

What do you reckon? Should I take a gamble on them or wait for some more reviews to come out?

Here's the link to the product page http://audio-technica.com.au/products/gamers/ath-adg1/

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #18,171 of 48,578
  Hi Mad Lust Envy, first of all just want to say a massive thanks for this great guide. I'm on the search for my first set of gaming headphones and didn't really know anything about what's good or not so this was mighty helpful!

The set I was leaning towards were the Astro 40's - I really liked the integrated mic and as far as I understand it the mixamp is a good product. However, I've been unsure due to compatability issues with the next gen consoles and I'm worried that it's going to be outdated very soon... Also keep reading from so many people that they're 'a crap gaming headset'. I was then pretty sure I was going to buy the Sennheiser 598's, but buying a separate clip-on mic is not something I'm that keen on.

So the ones I'm looking at now are the Audio Technica ATH-ADG1 - they were released here in Australia yesterday I believe. I only just found out about these the other day, and they seem like a good fit for me.

What do you reckon? Should I take a gamble on them or wait for some more reviews to come out?

Here's the link to the product page http://audio-technica.com.au/products/gamers/ath-adg1/

I'd go for it, but that's just me.
Or its closed counterpart :]

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #18,172 of 48,578
The ADG1 should be a very competent gaming headset, though it will lack bass, sound harsh, and sound a bit dry. The A40s are good headset with all the bells and whistles. As usual, you can't expect headsets to compare favorably to headphones. The ADG1 is basically an AD700x with an attached mic, which Audio Technca confirmed in a youtube video. I dunno the price difference.

As for the Mixamp, it works perfectly fine with the PS4, and will work with the XB1 in the future, once Microsoft adds Dolby Digital. As for the Wii U.... no luck, as they don't use Dolby or DTS.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #18,175 of 48,578
The only Xonar good enough for the K702 is the Essence STX. and even then that is not gonna bring the K702 to near its best ability.

I suggest the MA900 for sheerly practical reasons.

So if we skip the part about which headset would fit for music/movies/video ( I dont really care that much about how the sound is for music/movies) and only go for FPS games would you still pick Sony MDR-MA900 over Sennheiser HD598 and  Audio Technica ATH-AD700? combined with a Xonar U3 or a Asus Xonar DS. I guess ill have to skip k702 since i would need a Essence STX to get as much juice out of it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #18,176 of 48,578
if you want to be able to change the headphones in the future, i would take the mixamp+a40

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #18,179 of 48,578
Hehe, thanks conquerator2 - that's the kind of encouragement I need when I'm doing late night online shopping!

The closed ones do look nicer, but from what I've read the open ones are better for FPS games?

Open ones should be the safer bet :)

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #18,180 of 48,578
So if we skip the part about which headset would fit for music/movies/video ( I dont really care that much about how the sound is for music/movies) and only go for FPS games would you still pick Sony MDR-MA900 over Sennheiser HD598 and  Audio Technica ATH-AD700? combined with a Xonar U3 or a Asus Xonar DS. I guess ill have to skip k702 since i would need a Essence STX to get as much juice out of it.

If its for FPS mainly, the ADG1 or AD700X are pretty much a guaranteed success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back