Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #17,431 of 48,566
I finally gave in and purchased a CIEM as well. The curiosity got the best of me and I just have to know if they will work for me.

Should arrive in about a week, hopefully.

It's a big decision/investment. Resale value is trashed if you don't like them. Dealing with refit issues overseas and those extended wait times could be a nightmare.
But the it could be all worth it.

Personally I chose a company very close by to mitigate a number of those negative aspects.

Good luck choosing =).

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #17,432 of 48,566
I don't like sticking anything inside my ear, so I personally would never spend a lot on any in ear models. I was eyeing the Philips S2 when I got desperate for a portable, for a while though.

I still have a craving for the Momentum On Ear. :frowning2:

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #17,433 of 48,566
I finally gave in and purchased a CIEM as well. The curiosity got the best of me and I just have to know if they will work for me.

Should arrive in about a week, hopefully.

It's a big decision/investment. Resale value is trashed if you don't like them. Dealing with refit issues overseas and those extended wait times could be a nightmare.
But the it could be all worth it.

Personally I chose a company very close by to mitigate a number of those negative aspects.

Good luck choosing =).

I'd be interested to know how it compares to universals. Never tried a universal I liked and I've tried a few pricey ones.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #17,434 of 48,566
Conq, if you want to buy a cans, try them yourself. Dont buy it based on other people review. Use the review as selection guide.
I learned my lesson with the m50. Every review said it sound good and comfy. When I bought it, the sound is not as good as reviewed imo and very cramped. Its also very uncomfortable for me, clampy, leather cup is hot and sweaty, and earcup not big enough. Even with mle strecth mod, the m50 is still very uncomfortable for me.
Not saying that the m50 is a garbage, but its just not for me. I also find that the audio technica ad series is comfortable, while many people bashing its wing system.
Dont take someone else review as an absolute point to buy a cans.

They are said to be a noticeable step up from the M50s, with a somewhat different signature...
You're right, I will find out :wink:
Wish me luck though ;D

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #17,435 of 48,566
I'm using ie8 right now. With the correct eq, it almost got the sound I liked, balanced with bit bass and airy, out of your head soundstage.
I think pricey universal like akg k3003 is able to compete with hi end ciem, but i want balanced armature as my next iem, preferably ciem.
My choice is between um miracle or jh13 pro. With um, i dont need to worry for refit, since the factory is in China, despide its aussie based. Still, the payment method is rather difficult for me, since i dont have a credit card...
Momentum on ear is tempting to... those pads looks very comfy. Too bad there are no test unit on the cans store and its rather expensive, at 300usd.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #17,436 of 48,566
  The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $26 ($10 mail in rebate this month, Amazon), would be a better value for use with a Win PC, over the Mix-amp.

Sound card wise, the Creative Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $100, should offer audio quality improvements, over the motherboard's on-board audio.

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

The Sennheiser HD558, $130, uses the same driver as the HD598, just different cup design.

Motherboard http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/MAXIMUS_VI_IMPACT/ , I like the looks of 598 it looks so foamy or do they provide same comfort?

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #17,437 of 48,566
598 is a bit clampy, and the pads are a little on the harder side. Still, I find them decent in comfort.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #17,438 of 48,566

Motherboard http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/MAXIMUS_VI_IMPACT/ , I like the looks of 598 it looks so foamy or do they provide same comfort?

Looks like your motherboard comes with a fairly decent on-board audio, guess it will do a good job driving the HD598, on it's own.
I'm very comfortable with having my HD558s on, never tried the HD598, I assumed they had the same comfort level

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #17,439 of 48,566
Yeah, it does. They're relatively comfy. There's better, but the light weight and velour pads makes them at least good all around.

I do find the HD650 to be more comfortable (after the clamp is lessened).

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #17,440 of 48,566
598 is a bit clampy, and the pads are a little on the harder side. Still, I find them decent in comfort.

Looks like your motherboard comes with a fairly decent on-board audio, guess it will do a good job driving the HD598, on it's own.
I'm very comfortable with having my HD558s on, never tried the HD598, I assumed they had the same comfort level

thanks for the help, and this guide really really astonishing.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #17,441 of 48,566
If you can afford it, i would highly recommend you get the Sony MA900 over both the 558/598. It's a better can overall, and more comfortable. It's also priced basically the same as the 598 (it may be a smidge more than the 598).

There are a few headphones I'm incredibly passionate about, and I will always recommend them, depending on price bracket:

1. K702 Anniversary / K712 Pro

2. Sony MA900

3. KSC35/Sportapro/KSC75

All of them have generally balanced sound signatures for all around use, and ought to make most people quite happy.

And for the inner basshead inside most of us:

1. Denon D7000 (good luck finding one)

2. Philips Fidelio X1

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #17,442 of 48,566
If you can't find at Denon D7000, get a Fostex TH-600. 
gs1000.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #17,444 of 48,566
How are the Sony's wearing in after months of abuse all you MA900 owners? They look flimsy, but can they indeed endure the test of time?

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #17,445 of 48,566
I think it's less the abuse of time, and more the abuse of the owner. As long as you aren't hapzardly yanking the cable or extending the arms from the wrong place, I don't see them breaking at all.

That and the black matte finish and aluminum grills make it easier for me to toss around in a bag, than headphones with pretty finishes.

As for me, the MA900 has been away from my hands longer than I've had them at home. Anxious to get them back in a few days. It's like getting a new headphone all over again. Been basically 1 month since I've loaned them out to the guys. I had it for like two weeks in my hand. I sent them out basically soon after I reviewed it which was early September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back