Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #17,416 of 48,566
Impressions are almost always glowing on every headphone reviewed wherever you go. Headphone reviews almost never border on the negative side. Negative reviews tend to be from people who whine about the headphone breaking on them, and not about actual quality.

This is an important point. You can see why it happens though; whenever someone knocks a hp, they get a disproportionate amount if backlash for it.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #17,417 of 48,566
There is no advancement if all you ever hear is glowing reviews. I try my best to be honest when it comes to what sounds good and what doesn't.

Hell, Astro sent me the A50s, and I couldn't recommend that even if they gave me money.

I TRY to see the positive on a headphone even if I don't particularly like them overall (Nuforce HP-800).

There just wasn't anything that stuck out positively for me on both the K550 and A900x. Right next to both of those was the HD558. I didn't even LOVE the HD598 for anything other than competitive gaming, and nowadays, I'm doing my best to let people know if a headphone is a one trick pony or not (*cough*AD700*cough*). Yet the HD558 was well balanced, engaging, smooth, and airy. All this from a store demo... AND it's an open headphone. You'd think the impression would've been worse, not better.

The Momentum and ESW9 are also easily enjoyable, with no real need to focus and try to find some good traits. They shower you with good traits.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #17,418 of 48,566
Yeah but it's right here. Search head-fi.
4 positive reviews, 1 negative due to fit but still comments positively on the sound.
No negative reviews on Amazon, Ebay, Youtube,... nowhere.

Even for some of the well acclaimed headphones I know, I'be always found a negative review somewhere around these sites.

With these, none. Just none and if there is, it's only the fit.

You are literary the first negative impression I read on them... They are regularly compared to some of your favorite HPs [K702s, Q701s, and DT-990 a lot]

And they come close to them with some redeeming quality to them. 4s and 5 stars...

I mean, go figure... I find that real strange... Praise, praise everywhere..

Now look for the AD-700/900 - lots of negative reviews among the positive ones... Hmmm, I don't have a clue :O

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #17,419 of 48,566
Maybe those are his impressions due to a bad fit? You guys seem under the impression that Mad is PURPOSELY bashing them. As he mentioned, all his reviews (like everyone else) are subjective to HIS opinion while still looking to point out the GOOD in a headphone no matter how much he dislikes it.

If the A900X sounded bland to him then it more than likely did. Why it did is what should be in question (bad fit?)... not him.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #17,420 of 48,566
Maybe those are his impressions due to a bad fit? You guys seem under the impression that Mad is PURPOSELY bashing them. As he mentioned, all his reviews (like everyone else) are subjective to HIS opinion while still looking to point out the GOOD in a headphone no matter how much he dislikes it.

If the A900X sounded bland to him then it more than likely did. Why it did is what should be in question (bad fit?)... not him.

Well that is exactly what I am trying to find out...
That is why I pointed out a defective pair, etc.
I'm certainly not trying to imply he's trying to bash them.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #17,422 of 48,566
There is no advancement if all you ever hear is glowing reviews. I try my best to be honest when it comes to what sounds good and what doesn't.

Hell, Astro sent me the A50s, and I couldn't recommend that even if they gave me money.

I TRY to see the positive on a headphone even if I don't particularly like them overall (Nuforce HP-800).

There just wasn't anything that stuck out positively for me on both the K550 and A900x. Right next to both of those was the HD558. I didn't even LOVE the HD598 for anything other than competitive gaming, and nowadays, I'm doing my best to let people know if a headphone is a one trick pony or not (*cough*AD700*cough*). Yet the HD558 was well balanced, engaging, smooth, and airy. All this from a store demo... AND it's an open headphone. You'd think the impression would've been worse, not better.

The Momentum and ESW9 are also easily enjoyable, with no real need to focus and try to find some good traits. They shower you with good traits.

That is true. I noticed too many positive reviews on so many headphones that I don't see why they get a good review, maybe because they do a couple things right. There are a couple headphones I dislike that are popular here because I felt they were one one trick ponies or just straight up boring or unpleasant to me. I have gotten some beef for bringing them up.

The HD 558 is basically a darker and warmer HD 598, right? I thought the HD 598 was nice but wasn't quite warm enough to be a true all-arounder. But it was a lot better than the HD 555, that is one boring and soulless headphone, I did not like it at all.

I agree with the Momentum, sounded good overall, if I were to be picky about the sound, it had a spike somewhere in the treble or upper midrange, but it is so uncomfortable, clamped too much and pressed the edges of my ears to my head, could only handle them 10 minutes on my head, I have a fairly big head and big ears. I liked the Momentum On-ear a lot better than the regular Momentum, much much more comfortable and I liked it's sound a little more.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #17,423 of 48,566
That is true. I noticed too many positive reviews on so many headphones that I don't see why they get a good review, maybe because they do a couple things right. There are a couple headphones I dislike that are popular here because I felt they were one one trick ponies or just straight up boring or unpleasant to me. I have gotten some beef for bringing them up.

The HD 558 is basically a darker and warmer HD 598, right? I thought the HD 598 was nice but wasn't quite warm enough to be a true all-arounder. But it was a lot better than the HD 555, that is one boring and soulless headphone, I did not like it at all.

I agree with the Momentum, sounded good overall, if I were to be picky about the sound, it had a spike somewhere in the treble or upper midrange, but it is so uncomfortable, clamped too much and pressed the edges of my ears to my head, could only handle them 10 minutes on my head, I have a fairly big head and big ears. I liked the Momentum On-ear a lot better than the regular Momentum, much much more comfortable and I liked it's sound a little more.

Yes I just find it weird for the reasons I mentioned above.
If a headphone does something badly enough there is bound to be a review somewhere... Most likely here but definitely some at Amazon and Google...

ATH-900X? Like what, 2 negative comments about the bass a bit too boomy sometimes, treble maybe a bit too hot at one point?
If anything it was because the headphone was found too exciting one way or another.

But no boring, bland, lifeless... None of that regard...

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #17,424 of 48,566
Originally Posted by conquerator2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But I find that impression... I dunno, strange.

SAID THAT, there have been quite a few defective pairs. Maybe the one you demoed were?

I guess. Yeah, if you could demo them once again, that'd be great :] 

Yeah but it's right here. Search head-fi.
4 positive reviews, 1 negative due to fit but still comments positively on the sound.

You are literary the first negative impression I read on them...

Conquerator, stop trying to convince MLE's that he should have enjoyed them and just try them for yourself. 

Trying to change MLE's mind about them is just a waste of time.  Maybe they didn't fit him right, or maybe he actually DID find them a bit bland sounding.  Either way, who cares. As long you like them that's ALL that matters, and the ONLY way you'll find that out is by actually trying them for yourself. 

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #17,426 of 48,566
Conq, if you want to buy a cans, try them yourself. Dont buy it based on other people review. Use the review as selection guide.
I learned my lesson with the m50. Every review said it sound good and comfy. When I bought it, the sound is not as good as reviewed imo and very cramped. Its also very uncomfortable for me, clampy, leather cup is hot and sweaty, and earcup not big enough. Even with mle strecth mod, the m50 is still very uncomfortable for me.
Not saying that the m50 is a garbage, but its just not for me. I also find that the audio technica ad series is comfortable, while many people bashing its wing system.
Dont take someone else review as an absolute point to buy a cans.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #17,427 of 48,566
Yes I just find it weird for the reasons I mentioned above.
If a headphone does something badly enough there is bound to be a review somewhere... Most likely here but definitely some at Amazon and Google...

ATH-900X? Like what, 2 negative comments about the bass a bit too boomy sometimes, treble maybe a bit too hot at one point?
If anything it was because the headphone was found too exciting one way or another.

But no boring, bland, lifeless... None of that regard...

You guys might be forgetting about perspective.

At one point I thought the ATH-M50'S were all I needed. Not long after I tired some other cans. Going back to the M50s left me wondering What I was thinking.

The more you get to try different signature and qualities of headphones, the more your perspective changes on what you perceive as "good".

He'll, joker just did his 300th review. It was on the JH13 PRO FP and it changed his perspective on a number of aspects of SQ and what CIEMs are capable of doing.

Point being, MLE's perspective and tastes, (as a result), are simply different.

As mentioned above, use reviews to narrow down those headphones that seem to be what you want and then try them yourself.
There are countless times that certain rigs did not match at all what I had expected based on
reviews.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #17,428 of 48,566
That being said, I still very much enjoy the M50s. While tastes will evolve, you can still go back to a pair of headphones and see why you liked them.

Though my tastes have evolved quite a bit too, as I no longer look for bass and treble centric headphones, and now favor a warmer, bass to mid focused headphone with softer treble. Still, I enjoy energetic cans now and then. I would still love the DT990.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #17,429 of 48,566
Agreed. I still love the M50s when I watch action movies or while playing certain games.

But when I use them for music, I can't help but notice its shortcomings; Especially so after being acustom to a more refined sound without revisiting the M50s for an extended period of time.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #17,430 of 48,566
Joker's review making me even more to buy a ciem. Been eyeing the um miracle for long time, but the jh13 pro review changed my mind.
However, living in hk and china makes me difficult to purchase a ciem, and it becomes overpriced if I want a store to help me.
My music taste also evolved since i have the he400. Now I'm looking for more refined cans instead of a bassy one. Dont know how to describe it properly, but my taste seems to lean toward balanced with slight bass and airy more soundstage type.
My problem with m50 mainly with the comfort. Sound wise its just ok, but not as good as reviewed imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back