"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #4,712 of 6,388
I registered at his web store last week as I was in the process of buying a pair and as soon as the registration part was over a page popped up with "refurbished" Alpha Pad Mad Dogs for $269 - $30 off.  I bought those and, for the life of me, can't tell that they were ever used at all.  These don't show up on the regular store page.  Give it a shot.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #4,713 of 6,388
Quote:
If you want to save some money, you could buy a used pair from the boards here.  It seems that most everyone here takes excellent care of their equipment so I wouldn't worry about the "used" part. 

i c.. i lurked for so long without posting my account didnt have 15 posts LOL didnt even know of that requirement. but tyvm ill post there when im allowed to 

Quote:
I registered at his web store last week as I was in the process of buying a pair and as soon as the registration part was over a page popped up with "refurbished" Alpha Pad Mad Dogs for $269 - $30 off.  I bought those and, for the life of me, can't tell that they were ever used at all.  These don't show up on the regular store page.  Give it a shot.

Shame none available with shipping it comes out to
Total:    $341.35 before taxes T_T a bit too much maybe ill wait for someone to be selling theirs :) thanks for all the help guys

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #4,714 of 6,388
Oh my... I know people keep bragging about how comfortable these are but... damn. These things feel ludicrous in comparison to the HE-400s.  After lounging around in despair in not being able to decide between the hE-400 or the Mad Dogs, I finally decided to take the plunge and get both to compare them for myself.  I've had the HE-400's for the past 6 days, and now have the mad dogs today.  Got here quicker than I thought,  ordered on Saturday.  I'm not quick to judge, but I already like the Dogs better; better feel/buil (imo), WAY more comfy, even the bag it comes with feels nicer than the HE-400's. I'll play with these on my Odac and Magni for the next few days and I'll come to the conclusion that's been driving me nuts for the past couple months.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #4,715 of 6,388
Quote:
Oh my... I know people keep bragging about how comfortable these are but... damn. These things feel ludicrous in comparison to the HE-400s.  After lounging around in despair in not being able to decide between the hE-400 or the Mad Dogs, I finally decided to take the plunge and get both to compare them for myself.  I've had the HE-400's for the past 6 days, and now have the mad dogs today.  Got here quicker than I thought,  ordered on Saturday.  I'm not quick to judge, but I already like the Dogs better; better feel/buil (imo), WAY more comfy, even the bag it comes with feels nicer than the HE-400's. I'll play with these on my Odac and Magni for the next few days and I'll come to the conclusion that's been driving me nuts for the past couple months.

Good luck!  I know for me I've like the Mad Dogs for a relatively long time now, and each iteration has kept me loyal.  For a while I've had the original 840 pad version at work with my Asgard and a Dog Pad (now Alpha pad) version at home.  Well, I finally sent my 840 pad version in to Dan to get the Alpha Pad upgrade.  I'll be all Alpha at home and at work.  It's definitely my closed can of choice but beats plenty of the open cans I've had/auditioned.  They may not sound as good as my HD800/LCD-3/HE-6, but I get no less enjoyment from them.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #4,716 of 6,388
Quote:

I've played this game before (not with these 2 particular headphones, but....) .... can't decide between 2 phones, so order both intending to send one back.  You see where this is going .... love em both and have a collection of phones growing out of hand.  Personally, I think this is a great head-game to play with myself to build a fine collection.  For some reason my wife sees this differently.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #4,719 of 6,388
Mad Dogs and FiiO E17- A Pretty Good Match

Just wanted to say that I'm listening to the Mad Dogs through my new FiiO E17 on the computer and I have to say that they sound pretty darn good. I plan on using the E17 for driving whatever head/earphones I use while working on the computer as well as for a good portable power source. So far I am very impressed with the sound and power of the E17. The Mad Dogs sound great with it and there seems to be plenty of "punch" available, though not quite as much as with the Schiit Magni.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #4,721 of 6,388
Quote:
Did you just read my post wrong? I thought you put some good information in your post, you should do a repost with it.

No, I just thought the way I wrote it might have been taken wrong...  I have a set that logged over 120,000 air miles last year, in my rather over-loaded backpack, with no issues.

But do be mindful to not drop the packs, etc.  They're made for studio work and durable, but they're not invincible.  

wink_face.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 3, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #4,722 of 6,388
I guess it's kind of off-topic, but has anyone taken out and put back the adjustment bars?  I'm considering having them coated black so I have full-on darth dogs, but I'm kinda worried about the process.  It looks like the adjustment system relies on friction, so I'm hesitant to rip things apart since I'm not sure how snug it'll be when I put it back together.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #4,723 of 6,388
Quote:
I guess it's kind of off-topic, but has anyone taken out and put back the adjustment bars?  I'm considering having them coated black so I have full-on darth dogs, but I'm kinda worried about the process.  It looks like the adjustment system relies on friction, so I'm hesitant to rip things apart since I'm not sure how snug it'll be when I put it back together.

I think they could also look nice painted/powder coated white

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #4,724 of 6,388
By any chance does anyone have the ALO Audio "The International" and can comment on it with the Mad Dogs?

1. checkbox_ticked.gif
     130 mW into 32 Ohms
  2. checkbox_ticked.gif
     200 mW into 50 Ohms
  3. checkbox_ticked.gif
     330 mW int 600 Ohms
  4. checkbox_ticked.gif
     660 mW into 300 Ohms

Or can anyone comment on the Rx MK3-B?

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #4,725 of 6,388
Quote:

The bars are held in place by two screws. One on the headband, and one inside the cup (you'll have to peel off a plastic sticker covering it). Take those out and the associated plastic bits and just remember how it all goes back together at the end. You increase the friction by tightening the headband screw.

Whether or not this disrupts the mad dog mods or the warranty, I do not know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back