M-Audio Studiophile Q40 - Review, and Appreciation
May 30, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #122 of 139
I personally didn't like V-Moda cables for two facts, the kevlar reinforced rubs into clothes and two, the highs are 1dB or so muted with the V-Moda cable (gives a very warmish/lush sound when the headphone rather needs like 1dB boost in highs for a completely neutral tonal response).  I much preferred the monoprice bundled DJ 8323 cable over the V-Moda one as it's smooth and slippery so won't bother with clothes and it's not as warm sounding either. Also if you don't like Kevlar like me then you should also have a look at the Nuforce Transient cable. Those fits Q40 too and are said to be good.

May 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #123 of 139
At last I had the possibility to check them. For that money, they're indeed great headphones - nice punchy bass (but for my liking it could use a bit more subbass) and surprisingly flat mids/highs (although there's a little spike somewhere, which can cause fatigue for some, but it's not drastic at all).

The problem is, that it's a second pair of headphones with the cable attached to only one shell, which causes imbalance to my ears (my second pair of DT770 has this same issue). It seems the more expensive ones (HD8 DJ) are better built in that department or I just need to use phones with cable attached to both shells (SRH1540, D600 etc.). But that can be only me, because the service of Beyerdynamic can't here the imbalance :wink:

Anyway, Q40 are indeed a little jewel, which can easily compete with much more expensive headphones.

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #124 of 139
Has anyone tried these for games?
Was considering buying these as a companion for my HD 558s since I was in the mood for something different and more portable.
Also if there a big sound diffrence using these with the DT770 pads? (im spoiled and can't accept anything but velour pads these days)

May 29, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #126 of 139
  how do these compare with the Beyer dt-770-80?

- More forward, full-bodied midrange
- Less pronounced highs (more smooth/warm sound overall). The highs to me could get slightly bothersome with DT770-80 sometimes (slight bit hint of "metallic" sound) meanwhile the Q40 has that kinda highs which pretty much never annoys me but I don't feel it lacks either, for me it's just right
- Soundstage is not as big but imaging is quite decent
- Bass has more punch and is more controlled, DT770-80 is more deeper tuned, albeit not the most controlled kind
- While Q40 sounds pretty intimate (particularly fitting for EDM, pop, jazz and alike), the DT770 is reasonably open soundstage wise for a closed headphone, possibly due to the fact the vocals and instruments can sound like coming from a longer distance
- The DT770-80 needs amping more so than Q40 although both responds well to amping.
- The DT770-80 is built like a tank and could probably last to be dropped from higher heights into the ground, the Q40's build quality isn't excellent and the pads are somewhat cheap and shallow (although I start to believe it's particularly for the tuning after testing several different pads but went back to stock pads and added a thin layer of papertowel underneath the Q40 pads which also improves sound slightly bit, less smooth/warm (I feel it's ever so slightly too much so by default), more clear, marginally improved soundstage but can't touch DT770).

Q40 is like ^-- shape (bumped bass, equally much mid and subbass, evenly balanced mids vs highs) and D770 a bit U-shaped in frequency response (bumped bass, more geared towards subbass, and a bit more pronounced highs than mids) hope that helps.

EDIT: If someone have the stock pads for Q40 they don't need I'd gladly buy for backup. :) The stock pads will last only roughly up to 2 years with everyday usage before the pleather will start to come apart.

May 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #128 of 139
  do they hit harder bass wise then the Creative Aurvan live!? i have those they sound ok but not enough bass slam for me and they seem slightly sibilant to me

I think both of those headphones hit a bit harder than CAL. DT770 compared to Q40 is a bit more rumbly, not the tightest, subbass focused, particularly noticeable with Dubstep which focuses a lot on subbass but if I listen to EDM or hardstyle in particular that is my favorite genre the Q40 seems to be punchier and more controlled in the bass response, I don't necessarily hear the bass frequencies as much as DT770 but on Q40 the bass beats give more sense of impact/slam to it because it seems so focused and tight. That's why I personally do like Q40's bass better because I don't necessarily want to hear it all that much, I more want to feel the slam/hit of the EDM or hardstyle kinda beats meanwhile I can better focus on the vocals and synths etc. Sometimes I like to call the Q40 bass response for "invisible bass" because how good the impact vs volume ratio is.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #131 of 139
I'll see if I have some stocks laying around for you rpg. I've thrown out so many pairs of those it's not even funny. I'll let you know about future ones too.

I'd buy even 3-5 pairs of pads if you got just to be on the safe side lol which would last me 6-10 years! I love these headphones so much I'm not confident if I'll ever find another one which fits my tastes more. They are not the most detailed no but I'm a hardstyle music listener 90% of the time and they are like made for this genre the way they portray bass and the mid/highs giving me a reasonably thick but yet clear midrange. Most more "premium" headphones I've tried tend to make the leads and vocals, crash cymbals too aggressive with these loud brickwalled recordings, with the Q40 the overall balance is just right.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #135 of 139
How are the lower mids ( 250 - 1khz) on these? Recessed, forward or neutral?

Looking for a bass and lower-mids emphasized headphone, with smooth upper-mids and smooth treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back