M^3, CKKIII, Lisa III, LD V, ??? for HD600
Mar 14, 2008 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

gyrodec

100+ Head-Fier
I read some great reviews of the new LD dual-mono sold state (V I think) and I started thinking, as I don't really need a portable perhaps I souldn't go the Pico route (I'm on the list, but way, way down).

So, for about $500, what would work well. I don't mind a build-for-hire of an AMB or other DIY project. ALso I recently saw photos of a balanced CKKIII and the posted made it sound like I could get one of those for my budget.
So:
- M^3
- Balanced or SE CKKIII
- Lisa III
- LD V
- Balanced JISBOS (new AMB buffer that somebody said sounded better than their Lisa II clone - I would need to adjust the gain elsewhere for this, but I'm ok with that)
- any other amps you care to suggest

Note, I'm biased against tubes (bad-pun grin), but might be persuaded.

Thanks for any help.

Mar 14, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 27
I have a SE CKKIII and its awesome with my HD580 with 650 cable and 600 grills. The only comparison I have is the builtin headamp of the EMU 0404 USB, but the CKKIII is a huge step above that. I can't really imagine a different (single ended) headphone amp giving a really large performance jump above the CKKIII. I think you should go fully differential/balanced to get the most sound quality, that's probably what my next upgrade will be. I don't really get how someone would set up a balanced CKKIII, because it already has an active ground?

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 27
I use an M^3 with my HD600's and it sounds fantastic. You can also change op-amps to customize the sound according to your personal taste. This amp delivers plenty of current and voltage for the power hungry 600's. Going balanced can be a huge leap financially, not only do you need to recable your headphones, but also need a balanced source and amp as well, along with interconnects. I don't think $500 is going to cover it.

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 27
M3

I'm not sute how you do it, but I saw pics of one that was built and the poster said it was definaely a CKKIII, with an Opus DAC in the same box (probbaly what I will do as stage 2, unless the new Buffalo DAC is much better.)

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 27
The single-ended CK²III is, as noted by m3_arun, great for the HD580/600's.....fed by either my 0404 USB or Marantz SA8001. It's a very cost efficient unit that doesn't give up much to more expensive designs, IMHO.

I was thinking about getting a preamp for my speaker rig, and asked MisterX about a JISBOS based unit--he said that it's extraordinarily neutral.

Can the gain be adjusted, though, because all I read was that they were intended to be unity gain buffers--is that not entirely correct? If we're considering single-ended here, I've found that the HD600's typically need some gain on properly mastered acoustic/orchestral recordings. Going balanced gets you an extra 6 dB, but I'm not sure if that is enough.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 27
I heard the Lisa III at a meet last year. Very nice, but the headphones were not mine and the music quite unfamiliar. It was har to discern what the amp was really doing.

For tubes, I had an MPX3 here for a few weeks (from a friend) and I think it would really surprise you. Let's face it, headphones don't take a whole lot of power so providing enough current/voltage is not a difficult task. If you can get a listen to one at a meet or whatever, give it a fair try. It's pretty special and might be just the ticket.

As for the CK²III, if you use the original parts list the gain of the CK²III is 9x (19dB). If you change just four resistors, you can get it down to 4.1x (12.3dB). Definitely not unity gain.

I built a CK²III and REALLY enjoy it. It beats the pants off of a lot of amps I've heard. It reflects upstream components quite well, and yet doesn't make you want to change everything ahead of it. That's quite a feat.

Now, you can't change the opamps on it (like the M^3) as the only one inside of it controls the DC servo. So if you want to swap to tailor your sound, this is not your amp. I believe there are a narrow choice of BJTs to choose from, but I seem to remember that one was easy to source, and the rest were not (I could be wrong). The build of the board itself was fun, and the final wiring/setup was nicely challenging.

But the sound of it definitely makes it a keeper. With the amp warmed up and connected to an SACD player, I was "that close" to the music. Sweet.

Edit: Incidentally, some Lisa discussions were during this meet -> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/se...2007-a-268738/

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 27
Pete7, I see Inara in your avatar...you a browncoat?
biggrin.gif

bhjazz, I'm looking at making myself a CK2III for the office and don't necessarily expect miracles, but I was wondering what your impression of it was compared to M3 or the MPX3.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 27
Off that list, M^3 is great, I would also add PPAv2 as well.

CKK-III is great, but I think PPAv2 and M^3 are better.

I haven't heard a balanced JISBOS, but at $90 + PSU for a balanced setup, how can you go wrong!?

Hell, if you don't mind a buffer without gain (because you have a strong source), just build a single ended JISBOS buffer for $45 + PSU and be seriously HAPPY!

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pete7, I see Inara in your avatar...you a browncoat?
biggrin.gif

bhjazz, I'm looking at making myself a CK2III for the office and don't necessarily expect miracles, but I was wondering what your impression of it was compared to M3 or the MPX3.

Definitely, fierce one- awesome show. Serenity 2 supposedly out this summer. I worship the temple that is Inara, even if she is just a glorified prostitute on a a canceled TV show.
tongue.gif

I wouldn't mind hearing a CK2III myself...

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 27
so these can be powered well by the MisterX Mini^3 portable amp???

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 27
I have both the CKK and the m^3 and I would suggest either based on your budget. The m^3 is a step above the CKK but for the CKK price, I think it performs great, especially with senns

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 27
Thanks for the new burst of opinions, it all helps. Now if only I could justify a B22. (Down boy. Good things come to those that save.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. Which cancelled TV show was the "fine lady" on.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 27
Firefly! Only the best TV show ever, in my opinion (well, top 3 show, in any case).

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard a balanced JISBOS, but at $90 + PSU for a balanced setup, how can you go wrong!?

This is actually something I was considering, but I was worried about no VAS if I use it with some HD650's.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off that list, M^3 is great, I would also add PPAv2 as well.

CKK-III is great, but I think PPAv2 and M^3 are better.

Hell, if you don't mind a buffer without gain (because you have a strong source), just build a single ended JISBOS buffer for $45 + PSU and be seriously HAPPY!

How about a Gilmore Lite? Anyone know how that would stack up against these newer amps?

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 27
Morena Baccarin held a major role as Adria on the last season of StarGate SG-1 - making another appearance in the very recently released-directly-to-DVD StarGate movie, "The Ark of Truth."
wink.gif

P.S. I think the M3/PPA are the best in that list. They will bring up the last little bit of bottom end that the other ones can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back