LZ A5
Feb 25, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #796 of 1,177
For harshness with black (and this depends on where your own particular ear resonances sit, and also your own sensitivities) .....

For vocal harshness, EQ down 2-3 kHz, because it is elevated with the black filter. Generally I'd suggest removing at least 5 dB, and possibly even up to 10 dB. For sibilance - a small drop at 6-7 kHz (5 dB max), and for brittleness around 12-13 kHz (drop about 5-10 dB)

For an easy parametric EQ - try these settings ....

40Hz, Q=0.5, -3.5 dB
800Hz, Q=0.5, +3.0 dB
2000Hz, Q=0.1.5, -6.0 dB
3000Hz, Q=1.5, -6.0 dB
12000Hz, Q=1.0, -2.0 dB

Easier still - just use the grey filter and drop the sub-bass back a little to your personal taste.
Thanks for the information! Personally, I'd rather have an adapter to EQ since I don't always have the same source. Would an impedance adapter drop where you say it's necessary?

I'm actually only experiencing a little sizzling (maybe more static like sound) in the T, Th, F, and Z sounds, no sibilance though. It's not bad, but it would be nice to have that under control. Also, I'm not a big fan of the grey or red filters, they don't have the same airiness the blacks do.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #797 of 1,177
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #802 of 1,177
Is this referring to the impedance adapter?

I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate a tiny bit of harshness from the black filters without screwing with the airiness of it.
I can not understand that you complain about roughness in the highs when you are using black filters. Change them for the reds and you will notice the change, that's what they are for.
And as @Brooko says, play with different tips. If I change the tips I have placed, it will also sound bad, like in any other IEM!

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #803 of 1,177
I can not understand that you complain about roughness in the highs when you are using black filters. Change them for the reds and you will notice the change, that's what they are for.
And as @Brooko says, play with different tips. If I change the tips I have placed, it will also sound bad, like in any other IEM!
The grey and red filters take away a little too much treble for me.

Again, I'm not complaining about "harshness", since it's really really minimal and mostly on certain songs. But if there's a way to make that go away and still keep the highs of the black tips, I'd rather do that.

Does that makes more sense?

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #804 of 1,177
You try comply foams? Comply makes these in all the popular sizes. I use a pair of these on my DN2000Js as those are known to have a bit of a sharpness to the highs. The tips don't change the signature of the phones but takes just a touch off the top. Enough to the point where they sound more balanced than silicones or wide bored tips.

The sweat guard on the nozzle takes a tiny bit of edge off the treble. Worth giving it a try.

81Y4Ydt1C1L._SX425_.jpg

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #805 of 1,177
You try comply foams? Comply makes these in all the popular sizes. I use a pair of these on my DN2000Js as those are known to have a bit of a sharpness to the highs. The tips don't change the signature of the phones but takes just a touch off the top. Enough to the point where they sound more balanced than silicones or wide bored tips.

The sweat guard on the nozzle takes a tiny bit of edge off the treble. Worth giving it a try.

81Y4Ydt1C1L._SX425_.jpg
Thank you for the recommendation.

I have not tried foams yet with these. But my problem with foam tips has usually been that they muddy the bass noticeably. I may order some shure olives and give it a shot regardless.

There is a pair of foam tips that comes with these, but I don't know how to get it in my ear. The foam doesn't really stay compressed long enough to get it in my ear.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #806 of 1,177
When dealing with the treble on phones. Tips are pretty important. I have amassed a box of tips for tip rolling and continue to collecting different types of tips sometimes you will throw on a tip that don't work well for a phone to work really well with another. I read that wider bored tips work well for the A5.. Just ordered some of these after seeing some guys use them on the IT01 thread.

HTB1xhR4c2MTUeJjSZFKq6ygopXaP.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ten...e610-4e99-a1f0-351ed45fe0de&priceBeautifyAB=0

With foam tips you can crush the foams to be smaller and they will expand in your ear. Try that. Also get the right size of foams for your ear size that is important.

Complys for the most part don't muddy the bass but has more of an effect in the highs. There are some foams you can get for cheaper out of China on Aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8pa...html?spm=2114.11010108.01008.4.650c649bmHUzl1

In any case I am looking forward to getting the LZ A5. Will have them tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing them.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #807 of 1,177
It would be good to have an idea of which DAPs/Amps are a good match in this regard, subjectively. Any pointers? Eg I have Fiio X7ii and Mojo as my 2 players. and on occasion, a Samsung Note 8 and Fiio X3ii if I can't use my main DAP for example.

How would these fair ? Or how could I find out? I'm not sure how to interpret impedance specs,

Note 8 matches horribly in my oppinion. Output impedance too high. Mojo is fine, I use it that way.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #810 of 1,177
When dealing with the treble on phones. Tips are pretty important. I have amassed a box of tips for tip rolling and continue to collecting different types of tips sometimes you will throw on a tip that don't work well for a phone to work really well with another. I read that wider bored tips work well for the A5.. Just ordered some of these after seeing some guys use them on the IT01 thread.

HTB1xhR4c2MTUeJjSZFKq6ygopXaP.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ten...e610-4e99-a1f0-351ed45fe0de&priceBeautifyAB=0

With foam tips you can crush the foams to be smaller and they will expand in your ear. Try that. Also get the right size of foams for your ear size that is important.

Complys for the most part don't muddy the bass but has more of an effect in the highs. There are some foams you can get for cheaper out of China on Aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8pa...html?spm=2114.11010108.01008.4.650c649bmHUzl1

In any case I am looking forward to getting the LZ A5. Will have them tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing them.
Yeah, I have quite a wide variety of tips. But none of them eliminate that bit off harshness, just change the timbre a bit.

I also got a pair of the whirlwind type tips on aliexpress, but the bore was too large for the nozzle and kind of dangled on. I couldnt get a good fit. I'll be getting some more spiraldots soon my size, and some symbio wide bore. Maybe that will help.

What I meant is that when I crush them, they just spring back into shape. They don't stay crushed long enough to get them in my ear.

Thank you for the link. I may give those a shot at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back