Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #1,261 of 1,433
It’s a little bit difficult to say for sure because L&P only publish the power at 32 ohms (230 mW I think).....

One would have to dig around for the number, but OG W2, W2-131, and W4 are all capable of outputting about 50mW @ 300ohm in balanced-out. Those were published across various L7 Audio Lab's AP measurements on L&P dongles.

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #1,262 of 1,433
So with those numbers, I suppose you can
I understand everything you wrote and agree with it. I don’t want to go into holivar because this is a very deep topic.

If we at least roughly generalize, then having data about 230 mW at 32 Ohms - what impedance/sensitivity will be the minimum for the headphones to play?
I understand that everything is individual for each headphone, but please give approximate impedance/sensitivity combinations as a rough guide.
I don’t know if I precisely understand the question, but I would say for best results stay with a headphone under 100 ohm impedance and over 90 dB sensitivity, and you should have no problems at all. Here are some example combos, higher sensitivities will work at any of these impedances - these are the minimum sensitivities I would consider using at any of these given impedance levels: 300 ohm impedance + 90 dB sensitivity; 100 ohm impedance + 85 dB sensitivity;15 ohm impedance + 70 dB sensitivity. Again, if anyone feels I’m leading Mak astray, please feel free to chime in!

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #1,263 of 1,433
So with those numbers, I suppose you can

I don’t know if I precisely understand the question, but I would say for best results stay with a headphone under 100 ohm impedance and over 90 dB sensitivity, and you should have no problems at all. Here are some example combos, higher sensitivities will work at any of these impedances - these are the minimum sensitivities I would consider using at any of these given impedance levels: 300 ohm impedance + 90 dB sensitivity; 100 ohm impedance + 85 dB sensitivity;15 ohm impedance + 70 dB sensitivity. Again, if anyone feels I’m leading Mak astray, please feel free to chime in!
Very accessible and understandable!

If we take the example of headphones from your signature - HD6xx (300Ω/103dB) and HD600 (300Ω/97 dB) - are they enough to drive your W4 or W2 OG?

The question is, can I target 150+ ohm headphones with high sensitivity (100+ dB)? Or is it better to get by with +-100 Ohm?

And also a question about planars, having a conventional 26 ohm at 93dB - is this enough? I heard that with planars everything is different, they are too tight to drive

(for this case, based on 230 mW/32 Ohm W2 OG)

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #1,264 of 1,433
Dongles-Soundly-Musical.jpg

I've just completed a Dongle Shootout that includes the W4 which you're cordially invited to read here. :smiley:

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #1,266 of 1,433
Hi can anyone tell how to update the firmware for the W4. Also if there is an official user manual for this. I did not find it on official website. It is mot even listed as product there.
Firmware update procedure is on the first post of this thread.

As far as I can recall, there is no user manual to speak of. Customer service / support has always been L&P's weak point, especially for those who don't speak Chinese.

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #1,267 of 1,433
I listened to my friend's W4, very impressed with the sound!

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #1,268 of 1,433
I still like the W4 very much. I wish the L&P people will get nvolved in the community, that will be very good for their business.
New features and some new firmware updates will be great. Hopefully someone close to them can check if they are still planning to support the W4, or a new dongle is on horizon.

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #1,269 of 1,433

As far as I can recall, there is no user manual to speak of. Customer service / support has always been L&P's weak point, especially for those who don't speak Chinese.
Do you know how to change the gain and other settings? I can't seem to figure out.

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #1,270 of 1,433
Do you know how to change the gain and other settings? I can't seem to figure out.

Long press the volume knob to enter the settings menu, and rotate up / down to navigate. Once you find what you want to change, short press to change setting, then wait 5 seconds or so for it to automatically quit the menu.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #1,271 of 1,433
Dongles-Soundly-Musical.jpg

I've just completed a Dongle Shootout that includes the W4 which you're cordially invited to read here. :smiley:
I thought I had finally reached the end of the search for the perfect dongle with the W4. Then the Woo Audio Tube Mini came out and I once again own 2 dongles. This was a great shootout! I would like to nominate the Tube Mini for the next one. It’s a bit niche, not as practical as the others, but it is an interesting new advancement in dongle tech…

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #1,272 of 1,433

But we all can listen fluently. :smile:

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #1,273 of 1,433
Delete

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #1,275 of 1,433
Anyone owning both elite and w4? There future of high end dongles have already started.😆
I would like to hear them both side by side.
Yup! However, W4 now sold as of today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back