Low cost DIY DAC?
Feb 4, 2011 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Maverickmonk

500+ Head-Fier
Any suggestions for a low cost DIY DAC? I looked at the Grub DAC but it lacks something I would want: a headphone amp. I would want the ability to switch between an amped headphone circuit and an unamped RCA output. would I be best off just wiring a Grub DAC to a CMoy in a single enclosure, with a throw switch switching between the amped line and the unamped line? I am a fairly competant solderer, as I've been doing small DIY projects for the last 6 years. I haven't however tried SMD components yet though, although I would always be willing to give it a shot, as my main purpose for doing this is to try learn something.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 17
I did as you suggested, I built a PIMETA and Alien DAc, but them in the same enclosure and then had switch to select between the two.

You will be able to tackle SMD I think if you have been soldering a while.  Check out Tangetsoft.net and find the smd soldering videos.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 17
Hmm, maybe a Grub and a Millet Starving Student, I wonder how that would sound with my Grado's.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Hmm, maybe a Grub and a Millet Starving Student, I wonder how that would sound with my Grado's.

I prefer SS amps with grados. I think tubes ruin the mids that I enjoy from the grados, but my preferences might be different from yours.

I have the Minimax (sorta like the Starving Student's older brother) and it sounds AWESOME with my HD650s, but pretty lousy on my grados. However I haven't ever heard the Starving Student, so YMMV. People claim the Mofset Max sounds best with grados (or low impedence phones).

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #6 of 17
Really? I had always thought that Grado and tubes went together like coffee and doughnuts (and NOTHING goes together like coffee and doughnuts)

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 17
Another option is to build a gamma-2 which also includes a gamma-1. It's effectively 2 DACs in 1. You would build  the gamma-2 with it's normal specs to hook up to an amp. Then you would build the gamma-1 with modified bypass and output cap values to allow for direct connection of headphones. Your volume control would then be iTunes or Foobar. If you're looking to hook up a DAP as your initial source then this route wouldn't work well for you because the only inputs are Digital Coax, Tos-Link, or USB.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 17
The Gamma-2 seems like a great bit of equipment, but It looks like it will cost a bit more than I'm hoping to spend. Maybe at some point in the future I can justify it. Any amps that are known to be good sounding with Grado's, that are in the <$100 range?

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 17
I think the overall topology and design of the amplifier as well as the tubes being employed go a long way in determining the overall sound quality and perceived suitability with certain headphones.

I cannot speak for Bob as I have no idea how many tube and/or tube hybrid amplifiers he has experience with to formulate his opinions. But, they are exactly that, his opinions and he is entitled to them.

Read through some of the threads on the amp forum and you will find all kinds of opinions on all kinds of amp/headphone combinations. I suggest you try to audition some amps yourself, perhaps at a local meet, and begin to formulate your own opinions.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 17
My latest Gamma 2 didn't cost more than $180 to build. I'd have to add everything up but I'm sure that's what it cost plus maybe shipping costs. If you did your own case work (drilling holes in metal panels) then it would be $45 less. Just food for thought. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Really? I had always thought that Grado and tubes went together like coffee and doughnuts (and NOTHING goes together like coffee and doughnuts)

Quote:
I think the overall topology and design of the amplifier as well as the tubes being employed go a long way in determining the overall sound quality and perceived suitability with certain headphones.

I cannot speak for Bob as I have no idea how many tube and/or tube hybrid amplifiers he has experience with to formulate his opinions. But, they are exactly that, his opinions and he is entitled to them.

Read through some of the threads on the amp forum and you will find all kinds of opinions on all kinds of amp/headphone combinations. I suggest you try to audition some amps yourself, perhaps at a local meet, and begin to formulate your own opinions.

Yeah, like I said, that's just my opinion. I'm sure plenty of people prefer their grados with some added warmth, I don't. I might bee the exception, not the rule. Also, my tube amp isn't designed specifically for low impedences (although it still sounds fine with them) so that might account for that. 

Also, there aren't a lot of DIY amps for under $100 that aren't portable. I'd save up some more and pick a good amp. There is plenty of information here in the DIY section. Although if you really don't want to save up, I'll second what FallenAngel said with the Pimeta and grubDAC.

As far as DACs go, the grubDAC and SMD soldering is a really hard way to get into the hobby, so you might want to be aware of what you're getting into. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 17
Bob, I didn't mean to call you out on your opinion, but now that I reread what I wrote it sort of sounds like that. My appologies. I may find myself going either the SS route or the Pimeta route, but I am not sure which. I'm sort of still leaning towards the Starving Student just because I know they resell fairly well and fairly quickly if I don't like it.

I'd love to up my budget a bit to the <$200 range, but I don't know if that could happen, being a college freshmen who's schedule is unfortunately making finding work difficult (I could always work night shift but getting good grades is more important than having a little spending money). Can a Pimeta come in under the $100 mark?

As far as the SMD components go, I know it will be rough but I want to give it a shot. I've done a bit of circuit soldering (2 "kit" boards and one assembled from scratch AVR board for a robotics project), and I figure its time I take the next step (even if it means screwing up a couple of components in the process, haha)

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 17
And be sure to use the special sauce when you do SMD soldering... Flux works wonders. It's even great when doing through hole soldering on a hole that's attached to the ground plane. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there...

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 17
the grub and carrie go really well together if that project is still alive, basically a mini 3 and gamma 1 lite, in a container the size of a mini 3, and all powered off usb

http://www.diyforums.org/GrubDAC/GrubDAChistory.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back