Looking for guidance in updating firmware/optimizing my new Fiio X5
Jan 8, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #31 of 46
Upon ejecting the device from the computer, this is what my Fiio's screen looks like:

I was able to turn it on and off again, and upon going back on the device seemed to work properly. However I'm guessing the fact that I'm getting glitchy screens like this would suggest a problem with the device, no?

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #32 of 46

I was able to turn it on and off again, and upon going back on the device seemed to work properly. However I'm guessing the fact that I'm getting glitchy screens like this would suggest a problem with the device, no?

Or a corrupted firmware. I am guessing, when you tried updating the FW last week and the process did not go as expected, it may have corrupted the firmware. Just guessing. Try updating the firmware with the new 8GB card and see if the problem persists.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #33 of 46
Well here's an interesting update. As you recommended, I switched the locations of each SD card, and plugged the Fiio back into the computer. Now, both drives are readable, and all my files appear to be there! 

So, it would seem that all is well, but I'm not so naiive to believe that. How do you think I should proceed from here, in determining what the problem was, and how to stop it from repeating in the future?

One thing to note, when I took the case off the Fiio, I noticed the card in the E drive was partially sticking out. I'm not sure if this just happened as I was taking off the case, or if this may be the whole reason these problems started to begin with. Is it possible it was as simple as the card accidentally being partially physically ejected?

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #34 of 46
  Well here's an interesting update. As you recommended, I switched the locations of each SD card, and plugged the Fiio back into the computer. Now, both drives are readable, and all my files appear to be there! 

So, it would seem that all is well, but I'm not so naiive to believe that. How do you think I should proceed from here, in determining what the problem was, and how to stop it from repeating in the future?

One thing to note, when I took the case off the Fiio, I noticed the card in the E drive was partially sticking out. I'm not sure if this just happened as I was taking off the case, or if this may be the whole reason these problems started to begin with. Is it possible it was as simple as the card accidentally being partially physically ejected?

I see. Yes, that could quite possibly be the reason. Now did you try swapping the cards back to their original slots and try again?

Now when you tried the FW update, was the SD not sitting in the slot well back then too? Or do you think that happened after you tried the FW update?

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #35 of 46
Come to think of it, the SD card in drive E, always was bumped out a very tiny bit more than the one in drive F, which had always fit in smoothly. When I first inserted the cards upon getting the player, i tried to push the E drive card in further but it wouldn't go. I assumed that was just how that drive worked. And I never had any problems with it, other than the firmware update not working, so I didn't think much of it. Now, when I removed the case, the SD card in that drive was almost halfway out.

Importantly, when I switched the card's locations, I was able to fit them both all the way in.

So it could be my fault for stupidly thinking there was nothing wrong with that SD card sticking out a slight bit more than the other one. Now, is this something that could have permanently damaged either my card or X5II?

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #36 of 46
It could have corrupted the data in the SD Card. Because of which, it might have corrupted some of the system files in the Fiio device when you tried the Firmware update. I don't think it would have caused any hardware damage to Fiio device.

There is a chance that it might have messed up the memory units or flipflops (hardware damage) in the SD card. But I am no electronic engineer so I wouldn't know for sure.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #39 of 46
That's alright.

Try not to do a FW update from this card. But to just play music, I think it should be fine. Any corrupted data in the card possibly won't affect the device's system files. And in case you run into play back issues in the future, remember it could possibly be corrupted data. Actually you know what, please ignore my advice here and make sure you explain this situation in the Fiio X5 thread and get a conformation from a person who is knowledgeable in this kind of electronics stuff.

All that said and done. Try a FW update now, either with the other 128GB SD card or the new 8GB SD Card.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #40 of 46
I posted in that thread as well and have started a private message conversation with Joe Bloggs, a Fiio representative. He's advising me on how to proceed. To start off I am copying my whole folder structure to an empty external drive I luckily had handy. This way, I don't need to worry about losing the hard work I've been doing. Once that is all done, then I'll do the FW update with the 8 GB card.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #41 of 46
  I posted in that thread as well and have started a private message conversation with Joe Bloggs, a Fiio representative. He's advising me on how to proceed. To start off I am copying my whole folder structure to an empty external drive I luckily had handy. This way, I don't need to worry about losing the hard work I've been doing. Once that is all done, then I'll do the FW update with the 8 GB card.

Cool. Trust me, once you have this all figured out, it can be a real pleasant experience with the Fiio device.  One of the biggest benefit you will receive from the FW update is better scroll wheel response. It makes navigation so much more easy with accurate scroll wheel response.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #43 of 46
So I updated the firmware using the 8 gig SD card and things seemed to go smoothly. However, I then put my larger SD cards back in, in the same positions they had been in, and attempted to update the media library. I got the following messing: "The database is corrupt. Press OK key to clear data, create data"

Will doing this clear all data off of my SD cards? I have backed them up to an external drive, so this won't be the biggest issue, however  it would mean waiting another 8 hours or so to load the data back on to the cards again. So I'd like to know a) will saying OK actually clear all the card's data, or the media library data? and b) If the answer to a is the former, is there a way I could proceed that would avoid having to do this?

Thanks 

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #44 of 46
Well, I accidentally hit ok to clearing it. I then tried updating the library again and its now going through and updating the songs as normal. It would appear all is well. I'll keep you updated on how things proceed and whether the firmware update seemed to make a difference.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #45 of 46
  Well, I accidentally hit ok to clearing it. I then tried updating the library again and its now going through and updating the songs as normal. It would appear all is well. I'll keep you updated on how things proceed and whether the firmware update seemed to make a difference.

I am glad you got that all figured out. However I would recommend you format the card and reload the music (since you already made a copy of the library) to avoid any future frustrations. If the database was corrupt, chances are there are still some bad sectors. Eight hours of file transfer could save you a lot of trouble later on.

With the firmware update, the most noticeable difference would be the scroll wheel response and accuracy. 1 click on the wheel = 1 movement on the screen. 

And I think X5ii's latest firmware also allows you to perform searches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back