looking for easy to wear, high isolating IEMs
Jan 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vsvs

New Head-Fier
fed up with my new TF10s, cant even walk around without losing the seal (supertips)
would like recos for an IEM that is small, easy to wear, seals well and wont fall out, and good isolation
prefer to wear them straight down 
smily_headphones1.gif

.....(would etymotic hf5 fit the bill?)

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 13
The Ety will have a different sound signature. If you like the sound sig of the TF10, get them reshelled. Costs about $80 from Fisher Hearing, plus the price of impressions.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
The Ety will have a different sound signature. If you like the sound sig of the TF10, get them reshelled. Costs about $80 from Fisher Hearing, plus the price of impressions.

I do, but the cable also sucks IMO, so thatd have to go as well ....$$$
ps. can you wear customs straight down?

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I do, but the cable also sucks IMO, so thatd have to go as well ....$$$
ps. can you wear customs straight down?

No, they usually go over the ear. But with a Westone cable (~$40), you probably won't care 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Try a Philips SHE3580.. $10.
ksc75smile.gif
..Get whatever any of the other guys suggest and then try one of these. Isolates really well and they sound awesome for being a cheapo.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 13
I owned the TF10 and was unhappy with the fit plus I found the mids to recessed for me.

After trying many IEM's including the SM3, and a plethora of dynamic based IEM's including IE8, MTPC/G, GR07, and a ton of low/midfi selections I finally tried an Etymotic HF3 and LOVE them. Enough so I have a pair of custom tips coming in this Friday. Currently I am using Shure Olive tips, or a funky tip from the Earplug store with very good comfort, I also have used the included tips but only liked the triflange and then only for short bursts due to them making my ears itchy.

My dynamic based recommendation would be GR07 or possibly the FXt90 based on what I have read. The GR07 are over the ear only though but VERY VERY comfortable in my experience.

Nothing isolates like he Ety's though I am almost deaf when listening to music and expect even more isolation with the custom tips. Plus if you shop around they can be found on sale at Bestbuy in the US and possibly London Drugs in Canada.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 13
For the TF10, if the other tips keep slipping out of the ear,  try the SMALL Comply TX500 foam tips.  Although not perfect for me, it is pretty close (and do not listen to those who say get the Sony tips, they are not foam and slip out also).  I called Comply and told them my problem, and they were really cool (just a hint...).   I ended up getting another pack of them (dad needed to fill up amazon.com free shipping order)....

So, I am really happy with the small foam (it is smaller than the ones that came with the TF10).  Not a ten, but best I have used.

And I spoke to a friend who is an audiologist and a professor at a large university, and though it was 3 minutes on the elevator in passing, he told me that some ears are just shaped different and to think hard before spending the money on custom tips.

Also, I own the HF3 and though great isolation, the sound isn't as good imho as the TF10.  Though, if you get the HF3 for 99$, it may be worth a try if sound isn't your only concern.

- MyTwoCents

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 13
i cant enjoy the tf10 even though it sounds good, it just comes loose when i move my head a bit
@hf3 - listen mostly to vocal songs so the bass doesnt worry me too much
do the hf3/5 stay in the ear fine? would you be able to jog with them on and not lose seal?

Quote:
Quote:

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
i cant enjoy the tf10 even though it sounds good, it just comes loose when i move my head a bit
@hf3 - listen mostly to vocal songs so the bass doesnt worry me too much
do the hf3/5 stay in the ear fine? would you be able to jog with them on and not lose seal?

they stay in your ears, and I vastly prefer the HF5's sound to the TF10 (sound is subjective :p)

The problem is that, when I jog or walk, I hear noise from the cable and from my feet in my ears.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 13
x2 on the Etymotic hf3.

I picked up two pairs on unadvertised clearance at local Best Buy for $78 each. Getting impressions made for custom molds on Thursday (should be $100 including impressions). Received Shure "olive" tips (foam, black, small size) today and they do as well as the included Ety glider tips. The olives seem like they'll last longer than the gliders, though.

You are supposed to wear the cords down because of the iPhone mic. I'm not exercising with these so the microphonics don't bother me, but some really are bothered by it. There is a slider on the Y split that can be pulled up to your chin that should minimize, but you look dorky I guess. Or you could try the shirt clip.

I listen to mostly female vocals (Goldfrapp, Imogen Heap, Florence & The Machine, La Roux, etc.) and I love the hf3. I haven't heard the TF10, but I'm loving the sound much more than my PK1 and am impressed when compared against my MD-5000.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back