wink_face.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he can get much better for his $$

"Be a simple Head-Fier. Be a Grado lover."
-VALIENTE the Almighty

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #21 of 31
Ah, nuts! I found the HD-650 for $349.99 and couldn't pass it up. I also went bonkers and picked up a D2000 for $249.99. Should get 'em both in 2 weeks. Probably be another four years before I pick up more cans. I last purchased the DT880 and K601 late 2006/early 2007.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't go nuts buying headphones - I like to buy things that I will keep for a long time.

orly?

Quote:

Ah, nuts! I found the HD-650 for $349.99 and couldn't pass it up. I also went bonkers and picked up a D2000 for $249.99. Should get 'em both in 2 weeks. Probably be another four years before I pick up more cans. I last purchased the DT880 and K601 late 2006/early 2007.

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
orly?

Yes, orly. LOL. Indulge me for a moment...
popcorn.gif

1. I still own everything headphone-related and amp/dac-related that I've ever purchased (see signature).

2. Everything in my signature has been used within the last week, with the exception of the PA2v2, which is the piece of equipment used the least (it is also the second least expensive).

3. All gear in my signature cost me about $2,500, +/- $100. Money spent over the course of 4+ years.

4. I have no intention of selling anything, although I've considered unloading the DT770 over the past couple of weeks before putting the thought out of my head.

So, although I did say, "What, I'll buy the Senn and the Denon!" today, I have been thinking about getting something new for the past 2-3 weeks, and I have been struggling to decide what to purchase. I don't think I went nuts and acted impulsively. I shopped around and got it from a reputable dealer for $200 less than HeadRoom prices.

Does my behavior indicate that I have gone nuts buying headphone stuff? I guess it might all be relative, eh? To the student saving money for SR-80i and an inexpensive portable amp, maybe so. To the high-spending audiophile with $20,000 of equipment purchases over the past 3 years, not-so-much.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Yes, orly. LOL. Indulge me for a moment...
popcorn.gif

just joking, jk
why so serious?
regular_smile .gif

Quote:

I still own everything headphone-related and amp/dac-related that I've ever purchased (see signature).

So far I have to adhered to this principle and hopefully I can continue to do so. I don't really like the idea of selling/ returning etc. online. I still have a long ways to go, however . . . unfortunately impulse purchasing two headphones is a bit out of my budget atm
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just joking, jk
why so serious?
regular_smile .gif

So far I have to adhered to this principle and hopefully I can continue to do so. I don't really like the idea of selling/ returning etc. online. I still have a long ways to go, however . . . unfortunately impulse purchasing two headphones is a bit out of my budget atm
frown.gif

No offense taken! Your comment made me think a bit, so I wanted to quantify what I've done in the past.

BTW, with the amount you spent on the enhancements in your avatar, you could have one heck of a system! Those are some pretty weighty "front upright speakers."

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #26 of 31
Aw man, I would have gone with something that had a more in your face sound signature. Maybe a Audio Technica ATH-D2000, or a nice Grado or alessandro. For a bit more than $500 you could have got a ms-pro and done some non-invasive mods (blue tak, liberators, gs-1000 pads) to upgrade that. But I really shouldn't speak too much, I spend most of my time with my K701
k701smile.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw man, I would have gone with something that had a more in your face sound signature. Maybe a Audio Technica ATH-D2000, or a nice Grado or alessandro. For a bit more than $500 you could have got a ms-pro and done some non-invasive mods (blue tak, liberators, gs-1000 pads) to upgrade that. But I really shouldn't speak too much, I spend most of my time with my K701
k701smile.gif

LOL. In another 4 years, I'll pick up a Grado or Alessandro...

I really started thinking about something new and different in a closed can, which is what led me to the D2000s. The Sennheiser was new and different, but it was open. However, since it was once regarded as the cream of the crop, I decided to take the plunge. I've never owned a Sennheiser or a Denon before.

I was scared off by the Grados, because they are supposedly pretty bright - per comments and HeadRoom's graphs. I listened to some music the other night with my DT880, and I got fatigued pretty quickly. I thought, "If these things wear me out, Grados will kick my arse and bury me in a heartbeat."

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #28 of 31
The Denon D2000 are very nice closed headphones indeed, and I have myself been itching to try a pair of HD-650's for a long time as well. I haven't technically listened to a grado, but had a alessandro ms2 which was indeed very bright and fatiguing, sold it. But it was enough for me to try a ms-pro, and that fellow is very neutral but manages to sustain some of that grado emotion.

The DT-880 is a bit of a mystery to me. I really wanted to like them, bought two pairs... But in the end they just didn't do it for me. My Denon D2000 remained on top while owning both DT-880's.

I am sure the Denon and the 650 will bring you many hours of joy.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D2000 are very nice closed headphones indeed, and I have myself been itching to try a pair of HD-650's for a long time as well. I haven't technically listened to a grado, but had a alessandro ms2 which was indeed very bright and fatiguing, sold it. But it was enough for me to try a ms-pro, and that fellow is very neutral but manages to sustain some of that grado emotion.

The DT-880 is a bit of a mystery to me. I really wanted to like them, bought two pairs... But in the end they just didn't do it for me. My Denon D2000 remained on top while owning both DT-880's.

I am sure the Denon and the 650 will bring you many hours of joy.

DT880 can be "cold" and "analytical." I use it when I am listening very closely to the music to find all the hidden sounds that I would have otherwise missed with speakers. It isn't what some would call a "fun" headphone for rock music and such. For me, it has an "airy" quality that I enjoy a lot.

It does pretty well for those extremely rare instances that I listen to classical music. I usually let my son try them when he is learning a new song on the piano - listening to the song via the headphones prior to diving into a new song helps give him a point of reference when he sits in front of the sheet music.

The K601 is similar to the DT880 - just not as bright. It is airy, like the DT880, but its total package is just a tad below the DT880. I still like them, though, although they overlap with the DT880 from a sound signature quite a bit.

The DT770 is a "fun" headphone, and if I'm listening to stuff like Gorillaz, it is fine. Gaming is OK, too. Anything else makes me take it off and grab another headphone.

I won't even put the KSC-75 or my earphones (E4c and ATH-CK7) into a comparison to the aforementioned full-sized cans.

So, my dilemma. I wanted a more fun, closed headphone that wasn't as colored as the DT770. That led me to the D2000. It looked like it had a good deal of low-end extension, and it didn't seem to be emphasizing any part of the spectrum to the detriment of another. I am a tad worried about the stuff I read about the mids being sorta recessed, but I read enough that stated otherwise. We'll see. It looks comfy, and it doesn't let sound leak much, so it should match the DT770 on those features. I'm confident they will sound much more neutral, but with enough of a bottom to make 'em a real toe tapper of a 'phone.

The Senn I bought because there are times when I am reading or something and I like to have the phones on for a long time. The DT880 is a bit too fatiguing, and the K601's headband starts to bother the lump on the top of my noggin if I have it on for a long time. I read the Senns are very comfortable (maybe clamp hard, but they rest on the head comfortably based on my readings), and they aren't shrill. Those should be perfect for long listening sessions.

Sort of long-winded, but it is fun to really closely examine why one wants to do/purchase something. It helps to make sure that I am buying something for a reason - not just because it is love at first sight. haha

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

BTW, with the amount you spent on the enhancements in your avatar, you could have one heck of a system! Those are some pretty weighty "front upright speakers."

Nah playa, what makes you think I would personally spend any amount on those types of "enhancements"? Besides, I prefer my cans to have a more warm, natural presentation with lots of detailed instrument separation.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

So, my dilemma. I wanted a more fun, closed headphone that wasn't as colored as the DT770.

Have you considered Ultrasones? Particularly the Pro 750 or Pro 900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back