Looking for an IEM for my style of music & purposes ~ 100$ or less
Oct 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

princesultan

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've never had an IEM before, but from the research I've done it seems like the way to go, especially since I'm really interested in using them on long haul flights.

I listen to all kinds of music (rock, chillout, house, techno, etc.), but I'm primarily interested in finding a pair of IEM's that will be good for house music (as well as techno, tech house, deep house, etc.). The reason is because I am a professional DJ and as such I need to listen to many tracks when I'm away and get a solid feel about how these will sound on a big system. As such, I'd probably need something flat sounding, similar to that of a studio monitor (currently I use KRK's). I don't mind if they're a tad colored, but I need something that reflects the track as it was intended. Too much color and it could sound completely different on a bigger system.

I like something tight, something punchy and something crisp. Bass is important for that kind of music obviously, but then again I don't want something too boomy. In another thread someone said the Etymotic MC5's would not be good since they are too "clinical" for my style of music, but then again maybe I need something like that?

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 19
The MC5 fits your request for something balanced for your DJ work, but they are not going to be bassy.  Try something like the Brainwavz M2 for that.  Both of which I have tested on long flights and both work well, but the MC5 isolates better.

Depending upon your budget you could get both the Brainwavz M2 and MC5.  This way you are prepared for both situations.  Some vendors will allow returns within 90 days so you can always return the one you do not like.

If you do settle on the M2s I highly recommend some Comply T-400 tips.

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 19
Oct 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Look at the Xears offerings...Awesome for house.  I'm rockin' Balance 019 (Henry Saiz) at the moment with some TDIIIs....There are a couple new models that just came out as well.

We have an appreciation thread as well....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/545450/xears-appreciation-thread-formerly-td-iii

Enjoy!!!

ok cool. i'll look into those. i would however be willing to spend a bit more than what those go for, so not sure they're at my price point.

also, in regards to the hisoundaudio crystals, it seems that there isn't many places to purchase them. just trying to see how much they go for.

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 19
I will recommend the IEMs for above genres music like HJE900, EX600, HF5, Turbine Pearl(HR), MTP Gold(HR) and UE TF10Pro.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 19
it seems i may be between these:

- etymotic hf5 (although i'm worried about the apparent lack of bass)
- HiSoundAudio Crystal (from what i'm reading they may have TOO much bass)

i'd also consider the mc5's if they would suit my purpose more, but it seems the consensus is to go with the hf5's over the mc5's.

any other help or insights would be appreciated, looking to buy soon!

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Perhaps the Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition? They're rather balanced with good bass extension.

those peaked my interest as well, but read a lot of complaints about them being built pretty cheap with many occurrences of them breaking. i'd like something solid. could be something to add to the list. i might be between those, the hf5's and the crystals.

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back