Looking for advice on a new set of headphones and more - Seriously needing help
Feb 6, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 35
At a price well below your budget I would recommend the Sennheiser HD439. I auditioned the Sony 1A you are interested in and I prefer the HD439. I thought the bass on the HD439 was tighter and I think it is a more neutral headphone compared to the 1A.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #17 of 35
  At a price well below your budget I would recommend the Sennheiser HD439. I auditioned the Sony 1A you are interested in and I prefer the HD439. I thought the bass on the HD439 was tighter and I think it is a more neutral headphone compared to the 1A.

Have you tested or tried out the Sennheiser HD 598? I've looked into these and thought about these as well.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #18 of 35

Have you tested or tried out the Sennheiser HD 598? I've looked into these and thought about these as well.

I have the HD 598's and they are an excellent headphone. A very relaxed sound and comfortable too. I'm not really into the same kind of rock as you (mostly jazz, blues etc) but they are always reliable in the way they present the music. Not too heavy on the bass, which is fine by me. I'm currently looking for an alternative to the 598s, not a replacement, and the AKG 550s (closed) are top of the list at the moment. I would also like to try the Grado SR80i's sometime for, possibly, a more extreme alternative.

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #20 of 35
I have and use the Mad Dog Pro headphones from MrSpeaker. They are closed cans and don't leak much sound.

They are 50 OHMS and not to hard to drive - however they are much better when used with an amp.

I agree that you should choose the best headphone you can - and choose it first. 

The MDP are at the high end of your budget but they are so beautiful, leather and sound great with great bass. Not overwhelming by any means, but nice sold and incredible sounding.

Check out mrspeaker.com - Dan is a great guy.

Another thought is that you might want to push your budget as far as possible and get the best headphone you possibly can. Once you have purchased it, the pain of buying is over and you can settle in to a long time period of listening enjoyment. I had originally thought of buying something in the $200 - $300 range. I'm glad I opted to go higher. I will say that this hobby is addicting. lol

Do check out the MDP's. I love mine.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 35
Well I purchased the Sony MDR-1A last week from Amazon for $298 and I was in love with the headphones. The build, the looks and most of all the sound. But I had one issue with the right ear pad applying an annoying pressure at the back behind my ear near my hairline in small spot. I sent these headphones back and was planning on just buying another pair to see if I had the same results or if it was just that one pair. I searched and looked around at different headphones in the $300 range and below. I looked into Beyerdynamics, AKG, Audio Technica's, Bowers & Wilksons, B&O, Sennheiser and more. But every headphone I read about, watched reviews on and more did not seem to fit what I was looking for. Like I said I loved everything about the Sony headphones from the build, looks and most of all sound. So I decided to try the Sony MDR-1A's once more and ordered a pair from B&H Photo for $298 and next day shipping for $20. So I will see if I have the same issue with the slight pressure behind my ear in the small spot from the ear pad on the right side of my head. Hopefully I will not have this issue again and be able to keep this headphone.

I know some people frown upon Sony here and some people love them but I think some people don't give Sony the chance because they sale crazy to everyday big box store in the world. But thing is Sony has been around forever and known for headphones and they have the money and fans that help them be able to sale everywhere. This is not so easy for some companies because they are not as well known, its not the issue that they have not been around as long. Sony has been a company with a lot of money and that builds and sales headphones for everyones wallet whether it be $10, $50, $100, $300, $1000 and so on. I'm not saying Sony is the best and probably not even near it but close with some headphones. A lot of people judge the MDR-1A's from hearing the MDR-1R's and assuming they are pretty much the same. And hearing ether headset in the store for an hour doesn't really help make a valid decision ether. I mean Tyll Hertsens did put the Sony MDR-1R's on the Wall of Fame and I trust his opinion pretty good and I think Tyll Hertsen is pretty open and honest about his reviews and views on headphones, I don't see him as or think he is really bias at all. Now knowing the Sony MDR-1A's are out I believe he would find them great.

I'll let everyone know how this pair goes and I've missed the Sony MDR-1A's ever since sending them back. No matter how many headphones I looked at I couldn't stop thinking about the Sony's and how much I really loved them. I even raised my budget to $400 but still kept coming back to the Sony's every time. I believe Sony hit the sweet spot with these headphones. I believe those who haven't tried, judged them by the MDR-1R's or tried only for a short time and judged them on this alone should really sit down with a pair for a couple day or so and give them an honest try. If someone is a pure bass head they are not going to be thrilled by these although these have great bass, they are not bass head style. The mids on these headphones were beautiful sounding and the highs seemed great as well. Again this is just my opinion only and I am not in any way an audiophile and technically who is? It's all personal taste and what you like. We all smell different, taste different, hear different and see different. I'd say they are worth the try and a good long try. :)

Btw I'm not saying higher end headphones are not worth it because believe me I believe some of them truly are but sometimes those brands sold at big box stores are close and if not sometimes just as great. And I'm in no way referring to Beats at all, in my opinion I do not like them. I do have a pair of their in ear earbuds that someone bought me as a present and they are not that tasteful to me. Like millions of others say the bass is just overkill and not done properly. I like my mids a lot and again this is just my opinion. The brands I'm referring to are brands like Sony. Not every brand sold at big box stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target and others is bad brands. I'm not saying that the models they carry in those stores are great but referring simply to the brand itself. Sorry for the long drawn out reply.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #22 of 35
Probably should've saved some money and gotten the M50x. The Sonys do some things better tho, and I hope you find the new ones more comfortable since their comfort/looks is like the one thing they have going for them. NAD Viso HP50 has a similar soundstage and is more balanced with deeper much tighter bass, so that's another option for you. But since you like Sony then the 7520 is a good value even at the upper limits of your budget

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #23 of 35
Probably should've saved some money and gotten the M50x. The Sonys do some things better tho, and I hope you find the new ones more comfortable since their comfort/looks is like the one thing they have going for them. NAD Viso HP50 has a similar soundstage and is more balanced with deeper much tighter bass, so that's another option for you. But since you like Sony then the 7520 is a good value even at the upper limits of your budget

Yeah I looked at all those you listed before re-purchasing the Sony's. The Audio Technica M50x didn't strike my fancy at all a whole lot. My friend has a pair and they do sound good but my ears just didn't care for them much at all. I agree they are a great hard to beat price and sound great for the price and sound better than some that cost more but they just didn't do it for me. The NAS Viso HP50 and Sony 7520 were looked at as well but I had mixed feelings. 

I looked strongly into the B&W P7's but the P7's did have the great of mids like the Sony's did. Everything else about these headphones sounded great but a lot of negative Amazon reviews about the headphone didn't help as well. I could have go the B&W P7's through my carrier Verizon for $270 with my discounts and Verizon points but I decided against them. 

Some I considered:

B&W P7's
Sony 7520
Philips Fidelio X2
Master & Dynamic M30 & M40
V-Moda M-100 - these sounded a little to bass heavy and not enough mids
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus (New) - Same as the V-Moda's a little to bass heavy and not good enough mids

So why say I should have saved money and bought the M50x? Do you feel the MDR-1A's are not up to it? Just asking your thoughts and it's just your opinion. I'm just interested in why exactly is all. Thanks

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 35
Custom One Pros are interesting since you can tune the bass and is pretty good for someone who has no idea how much bass they really want. Don't take my comment too literal, I'd say the Sony and M50x are about equal in sound quality but given the price discrepancy that's pretty alarming. M50x has much tighter and better controlled bass, better treble extension and is more detailed. The Sony trumps it in the Mids, soundstage and comfort department. The P7 is more like the M50x and given that you like the warmer midbassy tonality of the Sony then I think you made the right call not picking it up despite the big discount. Don't discount the MDR-1R, I like the mids on that one better than 1A since it's not a v-shaped headphone and the new one kinda is. Older version was also more comfortable IMO

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #25 of 35
Custom One Pros are interesting since you can tune the bass and is pretty good for someone who has no idea how much bass they really want. Don't take my comment too literal, I'd say the Sony and M50x are about equal in sound quality but given the price discrepancy that's pretty alarming. M50x has much tighter and better controlled bass, better treble extension and is more detailed. The Sony trumps it in the Mids, soundstage and comfort department. The P7 is more like the M50x and given that you like the warmer midbassy tonality of the Sony then I think you made the right call not picking it up despite the big discount. Don't discount the MDR-1R, I like the mids on that one better than 1A since it's not a v-shaped headphone and the new one kinda is. Older version was also more comfortable IMO

So do you know anything about or heard much about some of the complaints or pretty much the only biggest complaint on Amazong about the B&W P7's? On Amazon a lot of buyers say one of the speakers starts to go out. Seems to be typically the right ear side if I recall. I got worried over that issue with the P7's. Have you heard of this issue or know anything about it? Thanks

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #26 of 35
What about the Denon AH-MM400's? Any thought on these? I was about to toss in the extra $100 for these but wasn't for sure. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1113916-REG/denon_ahmm400em_ah_mm400_reference_quality_over_ear.html

Also had been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 1350's

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1113916-REG/denon_ahmm400em_ah_mm400_reference_quality_over_ear.html

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #28 of 35
I used to own the DT1350s. I liked the sound. Didn't care much for the on ear aspect of the headphone with the dual band. But they do have a good sound for the money.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #30 of 35
Well I've been testing out and playing with the second new pair of the MDR-1A's that I received today from B&H Photo and the issue with the pressure behind the right ear side is not present so far. Otherwise I'm still very impressed and liking these headphones a lot and in fact using them playing some NIN while I write this out lol. With B&H Photo I do have 30 days if I do decide to change my mind or anything happens. BTW in case some of you are not aware of the B&H damage protection which is a nice feature I just recently found out about when ordering these. For example for an extra $50 toward these headphones you can buy the damage protection. This damage protection is not only against accidents technically because even if you step or break them in any way B&H Photo will repair to factory or replace with a new pair of the same model or issue you credit for the amount you paid towards any pair of your choosing. You have 30 days after purchase to decide if you would like this protection towards whatever you buy. So again no matter how they are broke your safe. It's a 2 year warranty and highly rated. I just thought I'd put that out there in case anyone is looking into buying from B&H Photo or looking into just buying period. I'll keep posted how things go with these. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back