Looking for a project amp build.
Jan 14, 2008 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Brohken

100+ Head-Fier
OK so here's the deal. I built a mint about a year ago. I don't know what any of the parts do. Not sure what any of the stuff I soldered did.

Long story short I loved building the mint. It works and the soldering was clean (not to shabby for my first time!). I'd like to build something else. Is there another guide around like one for the cMoy? I need a kind of step by step type thing with a good parts list (so I can order from digikey or something.

Sorry for the noob questions. I looked around a bit and all of these other builds seem pretty complicated. I never took an electrical class and don't know how to read a schematic.
frown.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 8
If you want to give a tube amp a shot, go here:

Bottlehead.com

You don't really even need to learn how to read a schematic as supposedly it's a step by step tutorial.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Not knowing what sort of sound/form-factor you are looking for, if you want to try non-portable, tube sound & price is a factor I'd consider a SOHA. True, more sophisticated designs are around (& coming) but many have enjoyed making & listening to SOHAs.
It's esp. easy w/J Rossel's kits & the help of this site.

Having built 3 of them (one from Jeff's kits), its not hard to put together a BOM yourself & place orders at the 2 or 3 places needed. My last one was my cheapest, < $70 or so, and sounds good to me. Key to keeping its cost down was not using the suggested toroidal transformer (used a std CT transformer pulled from an old APC UPS - maybe $8 from Mouser).

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back