Loki Mini Impressions
Mar 3, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #708 of 1,011
Looks great, I like how it’s small and simple,
Funny - several people complained it is not the same chassis as the mid-sized Lyr / Jot / Bimby... :wink:

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #709 of 1,011
Funny - several people complained it is not the same chassis as the mid-sized Lyr / Jot / Bimby... :wink:

I think in the old days, guys liked the idea of large complex equalizer units. I remember when I was in high school we had one in the house. Personally I didn’t like the big size and it was too complicated for me. I prefer simple and small

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #710 of 1,011
Well, whatever other components you've got - would obviously determine which size is best for you...
Personally, I really dislike the tiny knobs of the Loki, and would rather have the bigger knobs like my Lyr's volume knob!

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #711 of 1,011
With the low cost of a Loki, I just went ahead to buy one new. Very interesting unit to use, lets you do some tweaking and allows you to make any headphone worth listening to now.

Congratulations on your Loki purchase. As I have stated before, this little inexpensive device makes ALL of your headphones listenable to your taste. A much more logical way versus modding (sometimes irreversible) your headphones.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #712 of 1,011
Mar 3, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #716 of 1,011
Can anyone answer my question on the Loki, my main use for this would be to increase SUB bass on my headphones, where I cannot use software EQ, for example watching Netflix on headphones.

However, the bands are quite wide, but from what I have read, you can lower the band next to it, to overall make the effect less "stretched"... So can you answer me this question, is it possible to increase SUB bass around 10-70hz, without increasing the area of around 80-300hz too much? If using the 20hz knob, you can increase the bass, but also increasing mid bass a lot, but could you decrease the knob next to it (the 2nd knob), to give you the result of increase sub bass (10-70hz) with only a small increase in the mid bass area 70-300hz)? By increasing the first knob and lowering the 2nd knob?

Would this be possible? Or does increase the bass inevitably result in increasing the mid bass / lower midrange?

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #717 of 1,011
Can anyone answer my question on the Loki, my main use for this would be to increase SUB bass on my headphones, where I cannot use software EQ, for example watching Netflix on headphones.....{snip}....By increasing the first knob and lowering the 2nd knob?

Would this be possible? Or does increase the bass inevitably result in increasing the mid bass / lower midrange?
This is out of my expertise -- I might have experienced that effect (or at least changed the perceived effect [I don't use any kind of scope... not that I'd know how to do that]). Your question appears detailed enough... an email to info@schiit.com might answer your nuanced question (I think they'll reply, especially if you mention that you already tried this thread).

Fascinating question, @nicholars ! No schiit. :ksc75smile:

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #718 of 1,011
Mar 5, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #719 of 1,011
@wje Thanks for the heads-up! I snagged it! I'll report back after I receive it and try it with my Argon MK2 and HD58X.

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #720 of 1,011
My Loki arrived from Schiit today. I've been playing with it for the past few hours. I do realize that there are many other much more capable products out there available - e.g. software parametric EQs that can cover many more frequencies, etc. However, for the moment, the Loki is great to be able to apply a few simple adjustments via physical controls when a different song our artist starts playing that you want to apply a slight correction to.

The reality is though, the Loki won't polish a turd. I was trying out some old jazz recordings from the late 50s / early 60s and the limitations in their recording equipment at the time really can't be improved too much - even through equalization. Though, on more recently recorded music, a very small adjustment on the Loki can apply a nice touch to the music you are enjoying with your favorite set of headphones on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back