Loki Mini Impressions
Sep 26, 2017 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,011

CarlosUnchained

100+ Head-Fier

HIGH QUALITY TONE CONTROL

loki-mini-front-1920.jpg

big-stack-plain.jpg

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 1,011
Looking forward to the discussion! Ordered mine today to add to my Vali 2 + Modi 2U setup in my office at work. Nice, inexpensive experiment... if all goes well, I'll look to get the "non-Mini" Loki once it comes out for home...

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 1,011
Ugh, it's such a small thing, but I really wish the Magni and Modi logos lined up with the Loki logo. Same thing on my Freya and Gungnir MB, since the Freya sits atop the Gungnir, but again... suuuuuuper picky, trivial thing.

Okay, rant is over. Still looking forward to playing with this thing!

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 1,011
Looking forward to the discussion! Ordered mine today to add to my Vali 2 + Modi 2U setup in my office at work. Nice, inexpensive experiment... if all goes well, I'll look to get the "non-Mini" Loki once it comes out for home...

I ordered mine today as well. After re- reading Jason's chapter on tone controls I was like, "Schiit, yes". Seemed to me like somewhere in the 80's suddenly the gear I was auditioning no longer had tone controls so those 70's and 80's DG recordings were gonna sound bass lite and bright and I'd just have to let my ears recondition to the new sound of flat. Philips, Decca, Columbia, RCA, Mercury, Turnabout, Telefunken, EMI and on and on all had uniquely different sound traits. It also seems that in some cases truly great quality recordings turn out to be not the best performances available.

Hell, even concert halls have different sound qualities, at least the 10 I've been to over my lifetime. Anybody from Philadelphia who's ears were tuned to sound of the old Academy of Music (warm, lush, powerful, and comfy like that shag carpeting I would squish my toes around in during the 60's and 70's at home) where I spent most of my time would likely have noticed differences right off the bat when the new Kimmel Center first opened.

I think I'm gonna have fun and get more enjoyment having Loki available to throw in the mix (or not) when I want. Also curious to see if I can effect any improvement to my phones in conjunction with the different recordings. And all for only $149.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 1,011
Ugh, it's such a small thing, but I really wish the Magni and Modi logos lined up with the Loki logo. Same thing on my Freya and Gungnir MB, since the Freya sits atop the Gungnir, but again... suuuuuuper picky, trivial thing.

Okay, rant is over. Still looking forward to playing with this thing!

Not trivial. Seriously they need to get their schiit together.

I also expect more data, I'm like: "Q?" "0.7???"

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 1,011

I am really looking forward to the "non-Mini" Loki :ksc75smile:

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 1,011
The only reason (with speaker) to shoot for flat is to have a real "base reference".

Then, be creative. Its the point of music.

EQ to taste from a base reference!

Edit: if anyone quotes this and mentions room treatment, please swipe left.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 1,011
I am really looking forward to the "non-Mini" Loki :ksc75smile:

I know Mike (baldr) has expressed admiration for the Cello Audio Palette in the past on these forums, and how a companion Cello SS amp had influenced a few things they did at Sumo/Theta ... I wouldn't be surprised if they are shooting for delivering something of that caliber at a wonderfully "Schiity" price point. :) (reference: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-289#post-13666104)

What a beautiful EQ that Cello was, though...
audio-palette.jpg
e33a70b0f27843eca67f7e8c6c074fcf.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 1,011
I know Mike (baldr) has expressed admiration for the Cello Audio Palette in the past on these forums, and how a companion Cello SS amp had influenced a few things they did at Sumo/Theta ... I wouldn't be surprised if they are shooting for delivering something of that caliber at a wonderfully "Schiity" price point. :) (reference: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-289#post-13666104)

What a beautiful EQ that Cello was, though...
audio-palette.jpg
e33a70b0f27843eca67f7e8c6c074fcf.jpg

They definitely will. It's just a matter of time

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 1,011
Now a really cool product (albeit with a limited market) would be a phono stage with various EQ curves, not just RIAA. This enables early LPs to be reproduced correctly, as not all labels used RIAA. I believe Graham Slee used to make something like this (maybe they still do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back