Location Discrimination
Feb 5, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #31 of 50
Not sure I like posts like these. They seem more divisive than community enhancing. So it's probably useful to balance out the negative perception with some happy endings?
biggrin.gif

Living in the UK, all 3 things I've bought so far came from outside of the UK (USA and Australia). All the sellers were exceptional gentlemen and everything arrived with no problems (well, apart from my own silly country's postal issues) and in great condition.
It's great that there are many individuals who are way more open and accepting than a thread like this might imply....

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear, (esp. those not in the States),

I wonder why there are some people are so "location"-minded, once they know you are not in ConUS. They will close their door and not welcome to do anything (buy/sell) for you.

With the help of internet (one of the inventors of optic fiber was Chinese, Nobel Prize Laureate in Physics of 2009), now the world is so close.

So, for those people, please open your mind and accept different people.

oldwine

You want cheese with that whine?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll gladly fill out the forms and ship overseas if you want me to.

But you will be paying for shipping and insurance. Honestly it really doesn't make sense to ship a $200-300 item when you're paying $60 on shipping and insurance alone. It's your money, so...

It might if the item is impossible to find in their country or costs 2X as much domestically. Lots of tech items are overpriced in australia, for example.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #34 of 50
It's certainly annoying living in Japan. There is an excellent postal system here, but I have to suffer both the bigger shipping costs, some customs tax and a loss as a result when selling. I always wonder if the US postal system is so screwed up that sending stuff overseas is a big hassle. I know you can print the postage from the USPS site for cheaper too.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might if the item is impossible to find in their country or costs 2X as much domestically. Lots of tech items are overpriced in australia, for example.

Overpriced alright (think grado) - I'm looking for a new stax amp and I'm afraid of calling the only local dealer I can think of as the price is going to be ridiculous.

Anyway I love the FS forum and would like to thank all the members who are kind enough to post international to someone they have never met.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #36 of 50
I would like to do all my deal national as well!
But sadly Norway is too small of a market, especially compared to the US, so international sales/buys are mandatory. Which involves somewhat hassle with PayPal, parcel declaration, expensive shipping, customs, VAT, longer shipping time, and more.

I would like to thank all of you who ship internationally. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #38 of 50
It was with some anxiety that I sold some of my gear on Head-Fi. I shipped gear from Jamaica to the US, Canada and even Egypt. The US/Canada shipping is 2 days!! However, the cost is prohibitive, but I don't have a choice. At an average of US$60 for each shipment, I'd personally prefer shipping locally, especially if burdening the cost of shipping on the purchaser would lead to an uncompetitive price in the FS forum. However, I have no choice since there's no local market for the gear I have.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #39 of 50
As an MBA student and full time employee, shipping within the US takes about 5 minutes of my time, shipping internationally about 30 minutes. Estimating shipping costs is nearly impossible as well without having to get into the USPS line and wait...and wait...and wait...

I don't like to ship Internationally not because of the buyers, but because of how difficult and time consuming it is for me.

I seriously can't even eat in a sit down restaurant anymore because I feel like it's an inefficient use of my time
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #40 of 50
You're way to busy man... not so good for your health, though it's the popular thing these days.

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're way to busy man... not so good for your health, though it's the popular thing these days.

Not to be insulting, but you realize you're epitomizing clichés, right?

The perfection of the guy from Jamaica saying this back to the uber-busy American MBA student who can't stop for anything is priceless.

^_^

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's certainly annoying living in Japan. There is an excellent postal system here, but I have to suffer both the bigger shipping costs, some customs tax and a loss as a result when selling. I always wonder if the US postal system is so screwed up that sending stuff overseas is a big hassle. I know you can print the postage from the USPS site for cheaper too.

It's not a hassle at all but you can end up getting screwed if you use paypal and/or ebay because it becomes difficult to determine what actually happened to an item in a dispute. For USPS there is also zero reliable tracking internationally.

It takes no extra time for me to ship internationally vs domestically. One nice thing about paypal is that you can print prepaid USPS shipping labels, which only leaves the customs form to fill out. I actually end up spending too much because I don't have an accurate scale, though.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an MBA student and full time employee, shipping within the US takes about 5 minutes of my time, shipping internationally about 30 minutes. Estimating shipping costs is nearly impossible as well without having to get into the USPS line and wait...and wait...and wait...

I don't like to ship Internationally not because of the buyers, but because of how difficult and time consuming it is for me.

I seriously can't even eat in a sit down restaurant anymore because I feel like it's an inefficient use of my time
smily_headphones1.gif

What? What exactly about internationall shipping takes 30 minutes vs. 5 minutes? That just makes no sense.

Here is what I do

Domestic:

1. Print shipping label
2. Take item to post office if it's over 13oz, or just put in the drop-off box

International:

1. Print shipping label
2. Fill out customs form
3. Take item to post office and drop off.

Now I understand that you can't print the label for certain kinds of international shipping, obviously, but it doesn't take 25 minutes to write a dest. and return address on a package!

I usually have 3 or 4 customs forms on hand, so I fill it out ahead of time. Really, what takes the extra 25 minutes?

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by eneloquent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be insulting, but you realize you're epitomizing clichés, right?

The perfection of the guy from Jamaica saying this back to the uber-busy American MBA student who can't stop for anything is priceless.

^_^

Depends on how you look at it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

well explain. i really dont get how it takes any longer to post internationally than it takes to post locally. i know here it takes about 2 min for either, the only dif is they stick on a different label and i have to write "earphones" and "£50 or what ever the value is)"

really the difference here is seconds at most so why and how can it take 25 min more to post something in the US.

all that said ive a few times bought things from chaps stating US ONLY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back