Livewires - California Dreamin'
Jan 3, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #377 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here from Melbourne, if so, where did you get your impressions done?

If you look in the phone book for heaing aid shops etc they should be able to help you. Alot of hearing aids are custom made so it must be near enough a everyday task for them taking ear impressions.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #378 of 3,902
I ordered a pair the first week of December and got them today. Well, they were delivered a couple of days ago. Anyway, they sound great and were very much worth the money. I found the company very friendly and easy to deal with. I think all in all it took 3 weeks. Bear in mind I live in CA, but still... Thanks very kindly to this thread, I found most posts very thoughtful and informative. I did try searching for posts dealing with proper cleaning, but didn't come up with much. I see they included a tool with the IEMs. Could someone please direct me to a thread that treats cleaning? I'm having a hard time tracking it down.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #379 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by aminadab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a pair the first week of December and got them today. Well, they were delivered a couple of days ago. Anyway, they sound great and were very much worth the money. I found the company very friendly and easy to deal with. I think all in all, it took 3 weeks. Bear in mind I live in CA, but still... Thanks very kindly to this thread, I found most posts very thoughtful and informative. I did try searching for posts on proper cleaning. I see they included a tool with the IEMs. Could someone please direct me to the thread that treats cleaning? I'm having a hard time tracking it down.

I generally use a dry cloth and wipe any wax from the shell after i take them out of my ears, and every now and then i check that the tubes from the drivers are clear, and clean them using the loop tool as needed.

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #380 of 3,902
Quote:

I ordered a pair the first week of December and got them today. Well, they were delivered a couple of days ago. Anyway, they sound great and were very much worth the money. I found the company very friendly and easy to deal with. I think all in all it took 3 weeks. Bear in mind I live in CA, but still... Thanks very kindly to this thread, I found most posts very thoughtful and informative. I did try searching for posts dealing with proper cleaning, but didn't come up with much. I see they included a tool with the IEMs. Could someone please direct me to a thread that treats cleaning? I'm having a hard time tracking it down.

1ST POST!!

Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #381 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by king756 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, what can I say

I brought the Shure E2C as a cheap earphone to use on my motorcycle to block out wind noise and keep me entertained on long journeys. The Shure E2C where my first IEM earphone, I couldn't get on with them, they just didn't fit and kept popping out within seconds of putting them in. So I decided to find a bit of info on them and ended on here and found the Livewires.

I decided to take the plunge due to the exchange rate and I wouldn't get any better fitting off the shelf and sounding according to the people in this thread. I got my ear impressions done and found out I had a small ear canal which is why the Shure's didn't fit.

Well I just tried on the Livewires and they fitted straight in to my ear. Talk about sound isolation the sound of the tv completely dissapered, a total difference to the shures, even for the few seconds they where in my ear they didn't block noise like these. The one problem I am having is removing the livewires is proving trickyer than inserting them lol.

Sound wise...
I am not an audophile or someone who is in to their headphones. At the moment I am listening through my Logitech 5.1 computer surround system connected to the onboard soundcard of my motherboard. There is noticable noise in the background (not computer noise from cd drive / hard drive just a constant hiss) but I think this may be the amp. All my music is mp3 so is compressed but it seems very crisp, I can pick out parts of the music better as it isn't as muffled, bass sounds good to me it's not boomy or way over the top.

Testing on the ipod 80gb there also seems to be background noise but I cannot hear the hard drive spinning etc like I have seen someone mention further back in this thread. Sound quality wise it's sounding as good as it does through my pc.

All in all they took a while to arrive but I am pleased with them.

As a newbie... in simple terms is it worth my while doing the whole burn in thing? Amps Amps Amps, head phone amps, since I spent money on good quality head phones what difference will a amp make for listening through a ipod or my pc? Will it stop the noise I am hearing.

....Just a note as I seen it mentioned a few pages back
My live wires came with the newer black cables, they look very smart.

Congrats!

I'm just back from Berlin, so catching up with posts!

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #382 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaChris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kosmic: I spoke with John, today. He saw the images and saw that the right side is too big. I'm getting a new impression taken of the right ear tomorrow and sending it to him for another go.

Will advise.

Chris

That's great Chris.

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #383 of 3,902
Quote:

Congrats!

Cleaning

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #385 of 3,902
I'm currently in the market for some cheaper customs such as livewires or superfreqs that will perform well in classical music, some alternative rock, and a bit of pop. Basically, looking for something that is clean and exciting with more focus toward highs and mids than bass.

I currently own the UM2s and UE-10 and for the music I described above, I find the UE-10 to be far superior than the UM2s.

I've been reading through the livewires threads (wow this thread is long...) and it seems to be unclear as to whether or not livewires have good highs. If anyone could clarify or compare their experiences with livewires to one of the above earphones for classical music, I'd really appreciate it.

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #386 of 3,902
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I have been reading about these livewires. I want to know how many (if any) of you are musicians that are using these as in-ear monitors for live shows? If you do can you let me know what you think? I was looking at purchasing a set of westone es2 but these ones really fit in the budget. I am a drummer so looking for good sound isolation and good tone.

Thanks for your help.

Victor

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #387 of 3,902
Quote:

I'm new to this forum, but I have been reading about these livewires. I want to know how many (if any) of you are musicians that are using these as in-ear monitors for live shows? If you do can you let me know what you think? I was looking at purchasing a set of westone es2 but these ones really fit in the budget. I am a drummer so looking for good sound isolation and good tone.

welcome and i'm so sorry to hear about your wallet.

I use my livewires for onstage monitoring for live bits. Honestly, I love them. I have them plugged into a Nady (think its an E03...) and they sound great for power chording on the guitar and vocals. They have a very rich, robust sound without being muddy. They are lively too, without being too harsh. A friend of mine who has a pair says they sound like they are "toobie". Although I find that when I use them on my ipod, the midrange is kinda downplayed, but not severely. Just not as forward as maybe it could be.

Although when I used an older shure wireless monitor I did get a bit of hiss (due to the high sensitivity of the livewires and the crappiness of the shure receiver) I couldn't even begin to guess how many times that thing has been dropped and abused. Rumor has it, it was dropped in a pitcher of beer, but i'm skeptical. Although, sounds like it has been. Twice.

I have found that I loose a bit of audience participation when I use them. I do like to banter back and forth before, after and even during songs and I often have trouble hearing the drunks (and the audience).

I haven't listened to the westones. They are a generic phone but keep in mind, the livewires are customs to fit your ears. I did mine open mouth. The fit is exceptional, although on stage. every so often, I do like to pull them out and dry off the inside of my ear when wearing them. Kinda gross, but thats the reality of acrylic in your sweaty ear.

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #388 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't listened to the westones. They are a generic phone but keep in mind, the livewires are customs to fit your ears.

The previous member was referring to the Westone ES2's which are actually custom earphones. The generic ones are the universal or UM series.

I sometimes use my UE-10 customs on stage when i'm playing an electric violin (rare as I play a regular one most of the times) and they are perfect for what I need. However, as with most in-ear phones, custom or not, you will lose a large portion of your ability to hear outside noises which is why Low Fidelity mentioned that he/she lost some audience attention while using his on stage.

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #389 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently in the market for some cheaper customs such as livewires or superfreqs that will perform well in classical music, some alternative rock, and a bit of pop. Basically, looking for something that is clean and exciting with more focus toward highs and mids than bass.

I currently own the UM2s and UE-10 and for the music I described above, I find the UE-10 to be far superior than the UM2s.

I've been reading through the livewires threads (wow this thread is long...) and it seems to be unclear as to whether or not livewires have good highs. If anyone could clarify or compare their experiences with livewires to one of the above earphones for classical music, I'd really appreciate it.

I've no experience with the UE10s but Livewires definitely have a fuller, balanced presentation of highs than the UM2s (which have recessed highs to me). I agree with comments that the top end can sound a little dry/thin - it's all there just sometimes a little more on the 'sizzle', as opposed to the 'sparkle', side of things (dependent on recording, source, amp, etc), if that makes any sense to you: some things can be heard to describe
frown.gif

I'm into detail, though, so I am using a silver mini-2-mini which really reveals all in the high end - and I have no problems listening to your music choices through the Livewires (the synergy of the overall package is what will produce the best SQ for you anyway, not just the Livewires themselves
wink.gif
)

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #390 of 3,902
Quote:

The previous member was referring to the Westone ES2's which are actually custom earphones. The generic ones are the universal or UM series.

whoops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back