Live Wires IEMs - how to improve their Sound Quality
Dec 14, 2009 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

saisunil

Member of the Trade: Care Audio
Hi,

I have had Live Wires (LW) for about 3 years now ... I liked them in the beginning but then I found then unengaging, unmusical, perhaps a bit congested, lacking air, a bit forward ... they sat in a closet for the most part.

So, per the previous business owner and manager's recommendation, I had them drill a hole / vent ... now there is no isolation -- so I don't like them any better than before.

The question is how to improve the sound ...

1. I will need to close the hole / vent - to help them regain their isolation - critical for bass.
2. Does recabling help, and worthwhile investment?
3. Are there other options to improve sound from them - other than buying the new custom $1100 phones
rolleyes.gif

Thanks in advance ...
Regards
Sunil.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 10
You can try one of the cheaper Null Audio cables. Both the Enyo and Lune are pretty nicely priced and have been noted to be an improvement (for JH IEMs at least; not sure if anyone has tried them with Livewires here).

I have no idea why they thought the vent would help. The main reason for the vent for a custom IEM is to remove isolation (which is exactly what it did), not magically change its sound for the better. They should be able to fill the vent for you though.

Overall, it could be a losing battle.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 10
In other words: save some time and get the JH13s since they sound amazing with everything
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 10
ya, part of me was hoping not to hear that answer and another part of me was looking for that answer
wink.gif
JH-13 Pro ...

It is unbelievable that some people like them unamped off of an iPhone better than other phones with a good amp! I am having a hard time understanding and believing it ...

So what is a cheaper way to get a JH13 ...

Thanks guys!

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 10
Sadly there probably won't be a way to get a cheaper JH13 unless they do a Christmas sale. They had a $150 off plus free ground shipping and free extra cable deal a few weeks ago but that was because it was around Black Friday (they had Black Wednesday instead).

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wouldnt invest any money ...

I agree, I wouldn't spend any more money ...

I doubt any cable mod will change them for the better. Possibly good EQ'ing like rockbox offers and maybe an amp ... but there again it's more spending :/

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 10
I have imod and Xin Ref amp along with regular ipods ... I was wondering if recbaling is the fix for these phones - they fit nicely but the sound is just ok ... can't put a finger on the sound - other than that they sound a bit congested with very small sound-stage ...

If I go for JH13 Pros, I better get them when they are on sale and I guess I'll have to sell other gear to fund it!

Thanks all
Happy Holy-days
Sunil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back