Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Nov 6, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #10,441 of 13,434
I've been going through this thread as I have my first tube amp coming, the Little Dot IV SE. I think it's coming with 6H30Pi and M8100 tubes.  What other good combos are there for HD650s? The GE JAN5654W, 6ZH1P-EV & Tung-Sol 6AK5 drivers look like a good bet for a balanced sound with good soundstage.

Can anyone give me some combinations please for power and driver tubes with HD650 for a balanced sound with good balanced sound across the board with good soundstage?

Thanks.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #10,442 of 13,434
  I've been going through this thread as I have my first tube amp coming, the Little Dot IV SE. I think it's coming with 6H30Pi and M8100 tubes.  What other good combos are there for HD650s? The GE JAN5654W, 6ZH1P-EV & Tung-Sol 6AK5 drivers look like a good bet for a balanced sound with good soundstage.

Can anyone give me some combinations please for power and driver tubes with HD650 for a balanced sound with good balanced sound across the board with good soundstage?

Thanks.

for me the mallards ef95 and the 6p6-ir works the best with the 650 , the 30pi and the tung sol the voskhod all are a little bright for me , they were good for the mk III but for the se i prefer the above mentioned.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #10,443 of 13,434

for me the mallards ef95 and the 6p6-ir works the best with the 650 , the 30pi and the tung sol the voskhod all are a little bright for me , they were good for the mk III but for the se i prefer the above mentioned.

Thank you for that, that's great. I ended up being a bit trigger happy and buying some 6J1P-EV, RAYTHEON & JAN 6AK6 (although I think I've made a mistake with those as didn't notice they were 6AK6). I'll do a little write up soon.  

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #10,444 of 13,434
For me, the M8100 and 6HM5 work best with my low-Z AKG (K712) cans..
The Voskhod is a bit too bright, but is OK (still not my preference) with my HD650.
If you are using the HD6xx, don't hesitate to try a pair of 6SN7 as power tubes (adapters needed) as recommended by the good guys here.  They are amazing for phones with 300 ohms and above and smooth as silk.

Enjoy your new amp!  You will not regret your purchase!

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #10,445 of 13,434
The Voskhod is a bit too bright, but is OK (still not my preference) with my HD650.
If you are using the HD6xx, don't hesitate to try a pair of 6SN7 as power tubes (adapters needed) as recommended by the good guys here.  They are amazing for phones with 300 ohms and above and smooth as silk.

Thank you, I should be getting it today...can't wait to give it a spine :). What kind of adaptor do I need for the 6SN7?  I've seen this adaptor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2piece-Gold-plated-C3G-TO-6AK5-tube-converter-adapter-/191424601510?rmvSB=true

Is this the correct one?

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #10,446 of 13,434
Don't do what I did, which is to judge tubes too quickly. Some, if not all, can require a lot of run-in. The best example I have is the Tesla's, which I judged to be nice but a bit soft at both ends and not very transparent. This was in spite of about 30 hours of use. I put them in again and around 50 hours they changed radically, much like the Voshkod (at 100+). So much so that I am reconsidering placing them above the Tung Sol. This is all very confusing and a bit tiresome but that's the nature of tube-rolling apparently.

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #10,447 of 13,434

Thank you, I should be getting it today...can't wait to give it a spine :). What kind of adaptor do I need for the 6SN7?  I've seen this adaptor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2piece-Gold-plated-C3G-TO-6AK5-tube-converter-adapter-/191424601510?rmvSB=true

Is this the correct one?

NO this adapter is for C3G tubes which by the way is probably the best tube youll ever use in a mk3-mk4  .This is the last setup i used in my MK3 6SN7 and  C3G'S as drivers with the adapters you just referred to .This is the adapter i used for 6SN7 tubes as power tubes 6SN7(TOP) TO 6CG7 ( IN AMP ) This is the better quality adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6SN7-6n8p-CV181-TO-6CG7-6FQ7-tube-converter-adapter-/201115946751?hash=item2ed371ceff:g:J2oAAOSwQjNW-kSg

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #10,448 of 13,434

Is this the correct one?

NO this adapter is for C3G tubes which by the way is probably the best tube youll ever use in a mk3-mk4  .This is the last setup i used in my MK3 6SN7 and  C3G'S as drivers with the adapters you just referred to .This is the adapter i used for 6SN7 tubes as power tubes 6SN7(TOP) TO 6CG7 ( IN AMP ) This is the better quality adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6SN7-6n8p-CV181-TO-6CG7-6FQ7-tube-converter-adapter-/201115946751?hash=item2ed371ceff:g:J2oAAOSwQjNW-kSg

This is a C3G tube its a 8 pin Loctal the adapter shown in your link is the better quality one as those tube are fragile DO NOT WIGGLE THEM WHILE INSERTING OR REMOVING  the glass might break it happen to me. Search for C3G infos in this thread by the way only the C3G is used in this amp NOT THE C3M OR OTHERS .To remove tube from adapter  take a small flat screwdriver and pry it out evenly allaround .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #10,449 of 13,434
  Don't do what I did, which is to judge tubes too quickly. Some, if not all, can require a lot of run-in. The best example I have is the Tesla's, which I judged to be nice but a bit soft at both ends and not very transparent. This was in spite of about 30 hours of use. I put them in again and around 50 hours they changed radically, much like the Voshkod (at 100+). So much so that I am reconsidering placing them above the Tung Sol. This is all very confusing and a bit tiresome but that's the nature of tube-rolling apparently.

I think I've lucked out already as I have the unit I have has come with 6H30Pi and M8100 tubes, it's second hand so has some hours on it. The sound is already wonderful, I think I'll have a hard time beating this but I'll have fun trying :). I've read in this thread and others that burn in is needed...and a lot of patience. 

Thanks for your message. I'll look into those C3G tubes at some point, I think I'll enjoy what I have for the time being as it's really good already.  I don't know why it's taken me this long to get a tube amp!

This is a C3G tube its a 8 pin Loctal the adapter shown in your link is the better quality one as those tube are fragile DO NOT WIGGLE THEM WHILE INSERTING OR REMOVING  the glass might break it happen to me. Search for C3G infos in this thread by the way only the C3G is used in this amp NOT THE C3M OR OTHERS .To remove tube from adapter  take a small flat screwdriver and pry it out evenly allaround .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Thanks again for the info, it's been a great help.  Those tubes look heavy duty...I'll do some research on them.

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #10,450 of 13,434
Hello everyone,

I've currently got a Little Dot MK IV SE with the stock power tubes (6H30PI I believe?) I've never changed them out since I've gotten it. I used to use Mullard M8161 when I first had it, but I switched to the VOSKHOD 6ZH1P-EV, which I prefer when using my HD650's. 

Anyway, I got all this a while ago and I've been trying to search through this forum post; but it's a little convoluted and I was just wondering what everyone is recommending as for driver/power tubes nowadays for the IV and 650? I've heard some talk of 6SN7 and 6HM5 Yugoslavia's but I can't seem to find much information about them in regards to what they sound like.

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #10,451 of 13,434
  Hello everyone,

I've currently got a Little Dot MK IV SE with the stock power tubes (6H30PI I believe?) I've never changed them out since I've gotten it. I used to use Mullard M8161 when I first had it, but I switched to the VOSKHOD 6ZH1P-EV, which I prefer when using my HD650's. 

Anyway, I got all this a while ago and I've been trying to search through this forum post; but it's a little convoluted and I was just wondering what everyone is recommending as for driver/power tubes nowadays for the IV and 650? I've heard some talk of 6SN7 and 6HM5 Yugoslavia's but I can't seem to find much information about them in regards to what they sound like.

Thanks!

If i remember the 650's are warm sounding so maybe the 6SN7 isnt the route to go for you but maybe the C3G tubes as drivers would do the trick less warm more detailed sound. Here are a few post about happy user of C3G with HD 650 just use search function atop the page, just write C3G  .                                                                                                                                                             

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #10,452 of 13,434
Damnation! Just as I was getting to like them, one of my Tesla's just died (it lights up but no sound) and the other flashes badly from a cold start. Since I cant find any more I'm giving up on that. Back to the Tungsol 6AH6 and the Voshkod gold pins. I haven't tried the JAN since I thought I didn't like them but now I will try them again.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #10,453 of 13,434
  Hello everyone,

Thanks!

For power tubes - 6N6P-IR or 6SN7. First one doesn't require adapters, the second needs them. One warning - 6SN7 most likely won't work with low impedance HPs. Should be very good of your 650s though.

For drivers - C3G. I acquired several kinds and I like Telefunken over Siemens. Warning here - adapters didn't go into my MK-III because of the rings. So I had to get spacers (test 7 pin sockets).

My current setup is  6N6P-IR/ C3G. I use spacers for both power and driver tubes, as it cools down the whole setup significantly not letting tubes warm up the amp.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #10,454 of 13,434
Hello guys, i want to start my journey with tubes and need some advice. For the Little Dot MKII i need a pair of tubes of my preference right? And you're can give me recommendations of websites for buy Tung-Sol 6AK5 and Mullard M8161/CV401?

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #10,455 of 13,434
Hey guys, I bought a Little Dot MKII a short while ago and have been hanging around here reading whatever I can find on the different tubes I can use in it and having loads of fun trying out different combinations. I'm currently using Yugo 6HM5s for drivers, which I love, and I've got a 6SL7 in the mail that I'm looking forward to trying out. For power tubes I've currently got two Soviet 6H8Cs and have been looking into getting the stuff needed to use 6SA7s. While I was looking around eBay I started wondering whether it was possible to use any of the dual tube to 6SN7 adapters like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pcs-Tube-Amplifier-6J5-6J5-Replace-6SN7-Tube-Socket-Adapter-Suzier-B9-/172330795623?hash=item281fb74267:g:pPAAAOSwd0BV5EAG
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pcs-Tube-Amplifier-2C22-2C22-Replace-6SN7-Tube-Socket-Adapter-Suzier-C7-/172330795063?hash=item281fb74037:g:vrMAAOSwyQtV5rmU

Has anyone tried these out or can tell whether they'd work or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back