Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #7,201 of 13,438
If cash was not a issue then there would be a Line Magnetic 219ia at the house with headphone taps on the speaker output.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #7,203 of 13,438
  @hypnos1 it's so cute! can you roll some of your old tubes in it?

Hi again s.

That's one reason why I'm giving this little amp a try...it will take my fabulous GEC 6AS7G, which appears to have been the downfall of my MKIV SE lol!

As for drivers, the 6N3Ps will be consigned to the bin - even modest US 5670s would be far better, it seems. Or even a pair of my previous 6N23Ps, with adapters (which I would probably have to make myself).
However, the 6AS7Gs deserve much better than these, so (with some advice from gibosi, but without danger of blame lol!) I shall be attempting to cobble together a set-up that will use 2x C3gs(S version) per 6N3P, and see just what happens
rolleyes.gif
...I have also got some 5687s that gibosi and mordy have found to be excellent tubes, but which also will need some major mods - external heater supply plus home-made adapters.

So unfortunately, if one is not prepared to go this route, the only real alternative would appear to be a good 5670...but they do however seem to be quite a good tube.

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #7,204 of 13,438

What i don't like about the crack is by using 6SN7 it sucks not to my liking lack of power and details.I invested in 6AS7G/6080 and 6SN7 tubes for the crack but unfortunately 6SN7 and crack are no no for me that is why if i will get another amp i need something that is good for 6SN7 and 6AS7/6080 so my tubes are not going to be dust collector.I don't want to spend more $ on tubes i would like to use what i have,so far i have no choice but to get more 12AU7's i only have 4 and 2 of them i don't really like they sound flat/weak in bass.MK III with 6SN7 is wonderful that is why i have no plan on getting rid of this amp. 

You have tried 6SN7's in the Crack and they don't sound as good as they do in your MK III??? I am very surprised! The MK III uses two output tubes, whereas the Crack uses only one.... And I assume you are using two 6AS7's in the MK III? And if so, I wonder if that could be the difference......

Not to my ears Crack with 6SN7 not for me prefered 6SN7 and MK III,Nope 3 6SN7's for comparison but most of the time it's 2 6SN7 1 6AS7G for the Mk III.

What i don't like about the crack is by using 6SN7 it sucks not to my liking lack of power and details.I invested in 6AS7G/6080 and 6SN7 tubes for the crack but unfortunately 6SN7 and crack are no no for me that is why if i will get another amp i need something that is good for 6SN7 and 6AS7/6080 so my tubes are not going to be dust collector.I don't want to spend more $ on tubes i would like to use what i have,so far i have no choice but to get more 12AU7's i only have 4 and 2 of them i don't really like they sound flat/weak in bass.MK III with 6SN7 is wonderful that is why i have no plan on getting rid of this amp. 

Get a Glenn OTL amp...

Too much for me..Thanks!

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #7,208 of 13,438
Wow! found this Burson Conductor SL9018 from Parts connexion for $749 it's on sale half price.
That is a great price on that amp, it has no Line/Pre Out's so it is just a headphone amp. I found the ESS DAC (9018) very sterile and analytical sounding. The TI DAC is a lot warmer and much more fun sounding, so you could swap DAC's to suit your taste.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #7,209 of 13,438
Aug 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #7,210 of 13,438
  So unfortunately, if one is not prepared to go this route, the only real alternative would appear to be a good 5670...but they do however seem to be quite a good tube.

If you can figure out how to roll 5687 in the Little Bear P8, in the same way, that is, with adapters and an external heater PS, you should be able to roll 6SN7, ECC40, E80CC and E81CC.  Further, the sub-miniatures and the 6DJ8 would require adapters, but not an external PS. Roll on! :)

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #7,211 of 13,438

Wow! found this Burson Conductor SL9018 from Parts connexion for $749 it's on sale half price.

That is a great price on that amp, it has no Line/Pre Out's so it is just a headphone amp. I found the ESS DAC (9018) very sterile and analytical sounding. The TI DAC is a lot warmer and much more fun sounding, so you could swap DAC's to suit your taste.

So this amp will allow you to roll op amp?It is probably more expensive than tube rolling.

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #7,212 of 13,438
 I let my kid listened to the Crack and MK III for a whole day today while i was at work,My kid said to me Dad can  i keep the Crack?I asked why? then the answer was because the crack it sounds like you're in the middle of everything i can hear every instrument playing in the background.Then i asked what about the MK III?the answer was will it sound good but it's difficult to tell where are the instrument playing in the background and it sounds everything is  away from you.I don't know what this kid is describing could it be the Soundstage and instrument separation/clarity?I have to agree the Crack to my ears are more forward sounding than the MK III and with the crack it's easy to pinpoint the location of the instrument.But then this kid told me at the end BTW dad i dropped two of the tubes on the floor and they are broken
eek.gif
.So where are the broken tubes?it's garbage day today so it's in the garbage truck(good answer) i just smile and said that's ok,only to find out two of the 6AS7G CHATHAM was broken.Lessons learned for me never let your kid/s used your tube amp unattended.Once my wife broke a tube pins on the MK III i don't know how she managed to do that.These two in my life they're costing me money every time they used my AMP.
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #7,213 of 13,438
@i luvmusic 2 i hate you for posting that burson conductor offer!!!!$%%&&&// damn i wish i would have some money spare, i probably would have bought it straight away without even reading any reviews lol.
And you better put a metal cage around your amp with a warning sign "Beware High Voltage!"

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #7,215 of 13,438

Quote:
  If cash was not a issue then there would be a Line Magnetic 219ia at the house with headphone taps on the speaker output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back